Trigger Foods and How To Avoid Them Help

Options

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Figure out why you crave them. Find something that satisfies the same craving.

I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate. So I get Blanchart 95% chocolate. That way I can have a small 2g piece and it satisfies the craving. Then I don't eat a whole bar of crap chocolate.

I like salty, crunchy stuff. So I make popcorn. Not the best sodium-wise but it is better than chips.

And so on. Sweet -> eat a piece of fruit (my current favourite dessert is fresh strawberries with whole milk, so yum and better than ice-cream calorie wise!)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods for breakfast.

This. Pull the trigger first thing in the morning and your metabolism should be all fired up and ready to burn off those foods right away so they don't get stored as fat.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

Meh...anyway
    15xr1mt.jpg
  • Kitteneyes01
    Kitteneyes01 Posts: 125
    Options
    My trigger foods are chocolate and cookies. I don't keep them in my house, and when I want them, I need to go out and buy them. As a rule, I buy only single serve containers of them. ALWAYS single serve. Any more than that and the cops will throw me in jail because it's illegal. (I convince myself of it) And only ONE thing. It's either cookies, or chocolate, but not both.
    I also have two days of the week (Saturday and Sunday) where I allow myself one treat. :) that's how I keep in control but still have them in moderation.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods for breakfast.

Buuuuurn!
    the-little-mermaid-burn.gif
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Have one day a week where you eat one of your "trigger foods" in moderation of course. Pizza is my favorite food and I use that as my motivation meal often. It helps me get through the week knowing I can have pizza on Saturday :) and before long you will not crave those foods. I used to drink 2-3 cans of Pepsi everyday and now it taste too sweet, I don't want anything but water.

I like this idea!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!

+1
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Beautiful ideal, but in reality it nearly never works (at least for me), no matter how much willpower one attempts to exert. If I feel that I would be unable to sit down to just one serving of something, I keep it out of my house or leave it for a treat day, or I find a suitable alternative. Don't knock other people's thinking; everyone works differently, and what might work for you may not work for someone else.

Back to the OP:

For pizza, to fit it in, I use the McCain's ultra thin pizzas. The spinach and provolone, and the roasted mushroom and garlic are bliss, and they go on sale all the time. On a 1390cal/day diet, I can eat a whole one without guilt for dinner if I so choose. So if you want to go for gold, I would recommend these strongly.

As for chips, Kettle makes a baked line of chips that don't taste like cardboard, and 1/2 the bag is usually about 4 WeightWatchers points (somewhere along 300-400cal). If you end up eating the whole bag you can talk yourself off the ledge a lot easier; all it takes is a nice walk somewhere and you have burned off the excess.

Good luck!
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    Great tips; if you deprive yourself completely when you crave something you're more likely to give in and gorge yourself with that food. My physician would agree when I say if you eat just a small amount and then move on to another activity it will help take the edge off.

Love your quote about "trigger foods"; so true. My biggest craving is ice cream or cookies; that being said and my being a diabetic I know in my head it's not healthy for me so I really have to retrain my mind and it's not always easy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Meh...anyway
    15xr1mt.jpg

Omg, I don't think I should laugh as hard at this as I did.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I def want to make my own pizza I must try that. Thankss.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!

Excuses?? So forcing yourself to eat little bits of chips or candy = taking control and change. Not eating chips and candy =/= control and change. :huh:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.

Regardless of what it is, being able to control something will help you grow
  • easeintofitness
    Options
    I need help on figuring out good substitutes for my trigger foods.
    My trigger foods are usually pizza, donuts, cake/cookies/pies/baked treats, and potato chips. Does anyone know any good substitutes to these foods? What are your trigger foods and how do you derail the cravings without giving in? :/

Potato Chips: Eat baked chips! Baked chips are a lot lower in calories (and taste better, too). Also, there is a great product called "Fit Popcorn." It is DELICIOUS. Two cups of this popcorn is only 60-70 calories. I always eat it while drinking a lot of water (or diet soda => a problem I need to remedy lol), and this makes it swell in my stomach curbing cravings.

Pizza: Make it yourself! If you make pizza yourself it cuts down a TON of calories. I have to be gluten free (so I don't have a frame of reference on non-gluten free pizzas), but 1/2 of my entire Udi's pepperoni pizza is only 350 calories. I always fill up the other half of my plate with some raw veggies (either a salad or raw carrots) and eat these with reduced fat dressing. It is very filling and satisfying.

Cake/cookies/pies/baked treats: There are not many substitutes for these wonderful items unless you are baking them yourself. However, it can be complicated to bake things with natural sweeteners because you have to put a different amount in than you would sugar. You may can use skim milk in the recipes or egg whites (I'm not a baker, so be sure you look this up on a website because you might have to add something else to the mix). I will say to curb my cravings for these items I will eat a favorite chocolate candy (miniature Heath bars, M&Ms). I can eat these slowly and really savor the chocolate, and this usually curbs my craving. I have to do this a lot anyway because (being gluten free) I have to usually make the item myself, and that is a hassle.
  • Escloflowne
    Options

Beautiful ideal, but in reality it nearly never works (at least for me), no matter how much willpower one attempts to exert. If I feel that I would be unable to sit down to just one serving of something, I keep it out of my house or leave it for a treat day, or I find a suitable alternative. Don't knock other people's thinking; everyone works differently, and what might work for you may not work for someone else.

I guess I'm just stronger mentally than most people, I worked hard at it and I have no issues with it anymore.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it so it's not in the house, the purse, the car, the desk drawer...

Eat enough protein - it really helps to keep hunger away and helps me curb cravings - esp for carbs.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.

Sit down and think about why you want those things (quick energy? bored? celebrating? sad?). Write it down. Try and stop yourself when you want something that you aren't sure you can yet eat in moderation (I say YET because you can conquer this)and think about WHY and address that need. When my children were young, I often grabbed chocolate when I would feel stressed. It did not stop babies from crying or make my day any less harried, but it did put many lbs of weight on me!

Prelog it and work it into your day. I wanted pizza one night - but one slice of the NY style I enjoy is a lot of calories, so I worked it into the day and had one slice with a side salad and a big glass of iced tea. I also went out to get it so there were no leftovers, etc. I savored it - it was delicious.
  • bcattoes
    Options

And "control" can only mean that must eat a little of it? You are being silly.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I def want to make my own pizza I must try that. Thankss.

I've got a recipe around here for a cauliflower crust.....It's amazing. I will find it for you.
  • Escloflowne
    Options

And "control" can only mean that must eat a little of it? You are being silly.

No, "control" is being able to eat or do something you enjoy in moderation. Obviously I'm not telling someone to eat something they don't want to eat....

wow....