Trigger Foods and How To Avoid Them Help

Options

Replies

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.

Regardless of what it is, being able to control something will help you grow

And "control" can only mean that must eat a little of it? You are being silly.

Are you like a professional arguer or something?
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods in moderation so they don't become "trigger" foods

Generally, when someone says "trigger food" they mean a food they find it nearly impossible to eat in moderation. It "triggers" them to overeat. If you can moderate your intake then it's not a trigger.

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Time to stop making excuses!

Excuses?? So forcing yourself to eat little bits of chips or candy = taking control and change. Not eating chips and candy =/= control and change. :huh:
    I'm sorry did i forget to add on about weight loss/maintaining or gaining?

Who forces anyone to eat little bits of chips or candy?
    I eat a serving or two of chips, candy, ice cream. Do i do it every day? no, they don't fit into my caloric intake daily.

I have no trouble losing weight, now that i have learned to moderate my intake.

I've stopped making excuses for being overweight and lazy.

stop arguing for the sake of arguing please, it's getting old!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating those foods for breakfast.

I see what you did there.

And I like it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

So you learn will power and apply it to your life and grow as a person!? Just a thought, instead of avoiding the things you love...

Since when does learning to eat chips or cake in moderation = growing as a person? It's just food.

DING DING DING!!! We have a bingo!!
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I replace them with lower calorie alternatives, so instead of crisps get the 100 cal packs or weight watchers brand, instead of chocolates I have special K biscuit moments etc Generally I find it easier just not to buy them. Having food you know you shouldn't eat sitting in the house is like a smoker keeping a pack of cigs in the house while quitting
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foodz, with ice cream, and beer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

The term "trigger food" is just another excuse to prevent someone to actually change and take control of their lives.

Excuses?? So forcing yourself to eat little bits of chips or candy = taking control and change. Not eating chips and candy =/= control and change. :huh:
    I'm sorry did i forget to add on about weight loss/maintaining or gaining?

Who forces anyone to eat little bits of chips or candy?
    I eat a serving or two of chips, candy, ice cream. Do i do it every day? no, they don't fit into my caloric intake daily.

I have no trouble losing weight, now that i have learned to moderate my intake.

I've stopped making excuses for being overweight and lazy.

stop arguing for the sake of arguing please, it's getting old!

What does what you do have to do with the meaning of the phrase "trigger foods"?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Drivel absolute drivel.

This.

OP, if you can't eat something in moderation, don't put yourself in a situation where you have to eat it. Then when you have more of a sense of self-control, re-introduce.

Then again, maybe more protein in the morning is the answer.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I def want to make my own pizza I must try that. Thankss.

I've got a recipe around here for a cauliflower crust.....It's amazing. I will find it for you.

That would be grrrreat. I didn't even know you could make a cauliflower crust for pizza. I did just come across a recipe for a roasted cauliflower head though that looked delicious. Still have yet to try though
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I think it's probably been mentioned a million times before with you, but learning to eat in moderation is about developing a better relationship with food, instead of a toxic one. If you can completely omit eating a food you love, then you didn't love it very much, did you? But if you can teach yourself to manage to only eat a reasonable portion, then you have taught yourself to manage temptation. Deprivation, while also a form of self-control, could also have potential self-destructive implications.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For a sweet snack I found the 90 calorie Fiber One brownies are sweet enough to satiate my cravings while being single serve so I don't binge.

Have you tried making English muffin pizzas? Half a muffin with some sauce a bit of cheese and some veggies or a few slices of pepperoni. They are small so you don't overeat but they taste just like pizza.

TBH I don't really have "trigger" foods. I don't deny myself anything so if I want a Oreo cookie I will look at the serving size (which is 3) take those and put them on a plate. Then I put the rest up in the top shelf of my cupboard, get my milk and cookies then go sit down. Once things are put away and I am comfortable on my couch watching TV (usually Doctor Who lol) I don't want to get back up for more...because I might miss something lol. I have found that out of sight out of mind works wonders for me. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, no. I don't get paid. I do think it's adorable when someone keeps arguing with me and then points out that I am arguing, though. :smile:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

No, no. I don't get paid. I do think it's adorable when someone keeps arguing with me and then points out that I am arguing, though. :smile:

I wasn't arguing with you? Nor do I really care to.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower came up so early in this thread. That's the closest thing I have to a trigger food.

It triggers my gag reflex.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21605-1326297733-1.gif
  • 2lisagibbs
    2lisagibbs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you want pizza, you want pizza. Eating "around" your craving doesn't always work, but sometimes if you identify the main ingredient you crave it's possible to focus on jus that one thing. For example, sometimes I really want pizza, so sometimes I order the thin crust and load it with veggies and just a bit of pepperoni. Other times I want pizza or spaghetti or something Italian...but it's really the tomato sauce I want. So...that night we have steamed green beans and mushrooms (and sometimes cauliflower) and mini turkey meatballs in a bowl with tomato sauce. Is it a substitute for cheese cannelloni? Of course not. But it gets me over my "I-want-Italian-pasta-tonight" craving, and I can get creative with the vegetables. I've used Brussels sprouts with mini meatballs covered in tomato sauce (yes, from a jar!) and it was actually pretty good.

When I'm tempted by cookies and baked goods at work, I choose the oatmeal cookie over a sugar cookie. And then I have to leave the break room! Some days are more successful than others. Sometimes I'll eat one of the single-serve dill pickle packs before I participate in the birthday celebration because sometimes something opposite of what you crave will suffice...and sometimes it doesn't...at least the pickle packs are < 15 calories so if I do decide that piece of birthday cake is still calling my name then I haven't compounded my indulgence. The pickles work for me about half the time, so for me that's a win.

When I comes to donuts I'm doomed. I just have to avoid them except for once or twice a year. I tried eating 2 jelly donut holes instead of an entire jelly donut, but 2 turned into 5 so I would have been better off eating the stupid full size donut. No help from me here, sorry.

I've lost 48 lbs. since January by making changes to my eating habits. Some small, some big. The main thing is that I ask myself, "Is that (cake, donut, pack of corn chips, cheeseburger, whatever) really worth it?" Sometimes the answer is "HELL yes!" and sometimes it's "Nah, not really" so I skip it.

But I swear by the tomato sauce + veggies as a substitute for lasagna or pizza! :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower came up so early in this thread. That's the closest thing I have to a trigger food.

It triggers my gag reflex.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21605-1326297733-1.gif

giphy.gif
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For me, trigger foods have to be avoided. Moderation is just not an option for some people. I've learned this after years and years of trying to lose weight.

If this is you then you should just avoid it. I'm not depriving myself, as some people say when one avoids something. There are still plenty of other things out there to eat that are good and some that are even similar to them. I make spaghetti squash with marinara/sausage sauce, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and cheese - a "pasta" dish and it has some of the flavors of pizza. (BTW - I'm not a pasta lover (it's just ok), so this isn't a sub for pasta, but I prefer this to pasta. It's awesome!) I also found a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust, and I'm telling you...it is fantastic. Just like the spaghetti squash, I prefer it to the real thing.

Really, if you can find a way to moderate go for it, but otherwise, including some of the flavors of your triggers is one way, and just avoid the actual things all together.

Oh, and when it comes to "trigger food withdrawals" it gets better. When I stopped eating junk I craved it immensely for a few days and by the time a week or two had passed the cravings were gone. The key was eliminating them from my house and shopping cart. I also avoid the grocery aisle they are in if I can, but if I need to I just look down when walking by to get to what I'm in that aisle for.

Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I think it's probably been mentioned a million times before with you, but learning to eat in moderation is about developing a better relationship with food, instead of a toxic one. If you can completely omit eating a food you love, then you didn't love it very much, did you? But if you can teach yourself to manage to only eat a reasonable portion, then you have taught yourself to manage temptation. Deprivation, while also a form of self-control, could also have potential self-destructive implications.

If you can teach yourself to not give in to temptation at all, then you've also taught yourself to control temptation. Feeling that you can't live without eating a little bit of every food doesn't seem any more in control or have a healthier relationship with food than simply choosing to not eat something at all.

Sometimes it's good to just break up.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

If you can teach yourself to not give in to temptation at all, then you've also taught yourself to control temptation. Feeling that you can't live without eating a little bit of every food doesn't seem any more in control or have a healthier relationship with food than simply choosing to not eat something at all.

Som...yetimes it's good to just break up.
    Binge eater's mentality...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Sometimes it's good to just break up.

I'm not arguing that you are wrong. I said that deprivation is a form of control... what I said was that deprivation can lead to self-destructive tendencies. That is the point of self-moderators.

For you, walking away from food works and maybe its healthy for you... maybe not... but it's not healthy for everyone, and the concern of the self-moderating crowd is that you never know who on the internet will read something and take it too far.