Running at over 200 pounds in weight?

Options
I just read, on this site in a running group, where someone had read that if you are over 200 pounds you should not be jogging/running because it is too hard on the joints. I need to know if this is true because last night I started adding in 30 minutes jogging intervals with my walking routine. I am 270 pounds in weight. I want to start the C25K program soon but don't want to risk injury either. Please advise>

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    <<< Runs 4-6 miles 4-5 days a week.

210 lbs as of this morning.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    RGV2 may I ask what was your weight when you first began running?
  • kingsbud
    kingsbud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    213 pounds this morning, and training for my second half marathon! Nobody told me I shouldn't be running.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Muzica, if you're feeling ready to run, then RUN! You can do it, just pay attention and don't try to run through pain. :flowerforyou: There are all sorts of exercise 'truths' that are really myths. This is YOUR fitness journey. You do what you're comfortable with. You've got this!

Edit because spell check doesn't catch idiotic mistakes if they are actual words. Sigh.
  • terra32907
    terra32907 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was running at about 225. Was a HUGE help in losing the weight the first time. Didn't bother my knee at all even after having knee surgery the year before.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Muz,
    There are plenty of people on this site that started at that weight or higher. Do what feels good for you. Consult your DR if needed.If you hurt scale back from what you are doing. If no hurting, go for it.
  • mrnedburns
    mrnedburns Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This probably varies quite a bit person by person due to health, age, gender, etc. The health of someone "over 200 lbs in weight" would be quite different between me (6' 4" man) and my wife (5' 5" woman). I should be about 200-210, she should not be.

I started running at 285lbs (which did make my ankles and knees sore) but I was only 30, tall, had always been active, and was a high school athlete so my body was used to movement and impact.

If I wasn't used to impact or was older it would have been a bad idea. I'd start with daily brisk walks, control the calories, and start jogging once I felt 'light on my feet'.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Muzica,

You can get the same benefits from brisk walking than you can running. My suggestion is to get a Heart Rate Monitor, sync it with your smart phone and pay attention to your Heart Rate. You want to shoot for your fat burning rate or aerobic rate. This will raise your VO2 max and running will be in the picture with dedication and patience. I would rather you walk 4 miles, than run .25 and be completely exhausted and aching. If you have any additional questions, feel free to message me. Though these two lads had good intentions saying that you can run over 200lbs, it lacked guidance. You have to walk before you run.

M
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that someone over 200 lbs shouldn't run, just make sure you don't over do it. I weight 246 and I run frequently, I just try not to run every single day for long periods of times because my legs get tired.

If you're worried about joins, consider checking out the elliptical, I personally love them and get the best calorie burn bang for my buck.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I just read, on this site in a running group, where someone had read that if you are over 200 pounds you should not be jogging/running because it is too hard on the joints. I need to know if this is true because last night I started adding in 30 minutes jogging intervals with my walking routine. I am 270 pounds in weight. I want to start the C25K program soon but don't want to risk injury either. Please advise>

Uh.

No.

I have ran 5k's near the 20 minute mark and half marathons at an 8min pace at over 200 lbs.

Our C25k group always has people over 200 lbs and they do just fine.

If you have never been a runner you may have to repeat weeks but to say someone over 200 lbs shouldnt run is just plain balderdash
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I started running around 250 lbs. I'm at 220 lbs now, and run up to 10 miles at a stretch with no issues.
  • KayStar728
    KayStar728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm 5'2 and started running at 215 pounds. It didn't hurt my knees or did I injure myself. Do whatever feels right for you!!
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I doubt that there is a hard and fast rule for this and that it depends on how active you have been. For example, many football players are way over 200 pounds. If you have been walking enough so that walking is not much of an exercise you might start the C25K program and listen to your knees. I'm doing one after not running/jogging for a couple of decades. I generally find that the day after a C25K session my knees are sore but two days later they are back to normal. While I weigh less than you I am nearly 64 y.o. You may find that you need to slow the C25K program down and repeat days or weeks while you build up. Do what is comfortable but that gives you the challenge you need and be sure to get some quality shoes before you start. Go to a good running store and have someone there give you some advice and recommend a shoe that will give you the support you need to get started.
  • BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My advice is twofold: One, get a good pair of running shoes. Don't skimp on this, your joints will thank you. Two, listen to your body and if you have to take a day off here and there, do it. Me? I started running at 350lbs.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Was over 200 when I started running. I took extra care to be good to my body after running and sooner or later it got easier. I say go with what it comfortable to you. Start with intervals of walking and running and go from there.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started running at 245 and had no issues.
  • MissusRickard
    Options
    I started running at 230lbs and have not had any issues in the passed three years running at or around that weight. I would concentrate on form (as you should running at any weight) and listen to your body and what it's telling you. Make sure you have good running shoes and change them out every 3-6 months (approx 300km) to help minimize injuries. Way to go on the jogging! I do hope you keep it up!
  • silvanshadow
    Options
    A few years and at 50 pounds lower, I used to be a runner. Ever since hitting my highest weight of about 220 lbs, I have been trying to get back into running.

Yes, I can tell that it is harder on my joints than it used to be at my lower weight, but that does not stop me. It just means I really have to take it slow. Really slow.

If I feel any pains/aches in my calves/shins/wherever they should not be, I will immediately take a rest day or two, no questions asked. Better safe than sorry. Listen to your body, take it slow and you should be just fine!
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I started running at 330. It's doable. Start on some strength exercises for your legs, too, if you can. It will help.

Also note that your knees or ankles may be sore for a while after you run, but that it will get better over time and shouldn't last more than a day. If they are sore before you run on non-consecutive days (which is how I think C25K works), get to a running store, if you can, for a gait analysis and the right shoes. For the soreness: ibuprofen!