How the hell are you all eating so little?!

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think the people who struggle to hit their target are probably ones who spent a long time shutting out their bodies' fullness signals and now they're listening and it comes across too 'loud', until they learn to dial it in. It seems like the effect lasts a couple weeks then goes away.

I love when people crow about the size of their breakfast. I want to know how many people who take pride in their big calorie numbers also drive big trucks or play loud bass. :laugh:

I drive a 42mpg economic diesel car and listen to talk radio...what now? :) Lol
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 2,000 calories a day while cutting except high carb days like today I eat more (2650). Last year I cut on 1800 calories though and it did not go nearly as well as this year is going. I don't think I will ever go below 2000 again, at least not on purpose. Would blow my brains out on 1200 though. lol
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    No need to eat only 1,200 or 1,800. You just need a deficit. Hunger is psychological as well as physical. I've gone for weeks on 1,200 calories a day, but I am not doing that any longer.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You must be craving high calorie foods.. Have you tried lower calorie foods- fruits? veggies? are you drinking enough water? a lot of the time your body is just thirsty when you think it is hungry...

My diary is set at 1200 cals and I have a hard time even eating that much.

Also- are you eating empty calories? (cookies, chips, candies) That could also be your issue because those things are LOADED with empty calories
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've been playing with intermittent fasting this month. Feeling deprived seems less problematic when you eat only every other day. Really appreciate your meals on the "on" days. =D

Please don't ever advise a nursing mother to only eat every other day.:huh:
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of food, imo. I can easily down a 800 calorie piece of cake and still want more food but if I ate that much in lean chicken, vegetables, and potatoes, that's a different story. That and if you're a nursing mom, I think it's better to decrease calories slowly. You still need good nutrients and enough calories for your body to make the milk and feed the child. Making breast milk is already an automatic calorie burning activity (can be quite large deficit too if your child is eating a lot) so you should also take that into consideration.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I didn't count calories much when nursing, only because the hunger was like I never experienced.

I did lose weight though as I felt I never had time to eat as much as I was hungry. I kept nuts allll around the house and would just eat handfuls at a time.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Clearly people were capable of eating over 1,800. We all did end up here, after all.

I don't have trouble eating to my goal without going over because I save a lot of calories for later in the day, which is when I get the most hungry. I also eat a TON of veggies, which gives me a lot of volume to eat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the people who struggle to hit their target are probably ones who spent a long time shutting out their bodies' fullness signals and now they're listening and it comes across too 'loud', until they learn to dial it in. It seems like the effect lasts a couple weeks then goes away.

I love when people crow about the size of their breakfast. I want to know how many people who take pride in their big calorie numbers also drive big trucks or play loud bass. :laugh:

Fine, prove me wrong, ya big muscley-calved bully! (Is it at least 'Car Talk'?) :tongue:

In the zombie apocalypse, you will envy my tiny calorie needs! :bigsmile:
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    quite easily.

I'm a guy and I COULD cope on 1000 calories a day if I had to....

some days I had trouble getting it up to 1200.... and now I've increased my calories (when I found out 1200 was wayyy too low) its even harder.

What kind of foods are you eating?

there are loads of low calorie foods that can keep you full up for a long time!

Pretty much this. My calories are anywhere 900-1500 calories. I know 900 is not necessarily healthy, but sometimes my stomach feels so off that I just can't face eating anything. When I get up to around 1500, my meals are like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with a glass of milk
    Morning Snack: 2 cheese sticks
    Lunch: Salad with tuna, fruit cup
    Afternoon Snack: Greek yogurt
    Dinner: Meat (chicken or beef) with veggies. I often eat pizza too...
  • shellymeister
    shellymeister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods are more filling. try those fibre one bars and apples/pears
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Clearly people were capable of eating over 1,800. We all did end up here, after all.

I don't have trouble eating to my goal without going over because I save a lot of calories for later in the day, which is when I get the most hungry. I also eat a TON of veggies, which gives me a lot of volume to eat.

ahem.
    rude much?
    some of us were never over weight- some of us are bulking- some of us maintain.

I love when people crow about the size of their breakfast. I want to know how many people who take pride in their big calorie numbers also drive big trucks or play loud bass. laugh

Fine, prove me wrong, ya big muscley-calved bully! (Is it at least 'Car Talk'?) tongue

In the zombie apocalypse, you will envy my tiny calorie needs! bigsmile

I have a motorcycle- 45 MPG- also a fat kid who isn't satisfied with 1500-1600 calories. humph

But I don't eat breakfast... wonder where that leaves me LOL
    :tongue:
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Somehow I feel like I'm eating loads! Lol My goal is around 1500 cal. I also exercise and eat back those calories too. So I don't feel like I'm on any sort of diet really :)
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks you all. :) I can def add more protein...Will try that...

For breakfast always a protein shake-1 scoop whey, 3/4-1 cup fruit, 1/3 cup greek yogurt(fage 2%).
    I have 1/4-1/2 cup whole milk with coffee every AM too.
    Lunch-usually another shake, like above but with spinach. Then nuts and cheese, sugar snap peas, popcorn. THose are my fave snacks.
    I get super hungry about an hour after lunch and crave carbs and have to fight hard not to eat a slice of bread.
    Dinner is roasted veggies in olive oil, lean beef or chicken breasts, and either a homemade bread or potatoes.
    After dinner I am very hungry too, and usually eat 1/2 cup greek yogurt sweetened with maple syrup.

I do find that eliminating processed sugars has helped curb some cravings but I still have hunger.

Any insight is appreciated!

Just from this I'd suggest:

Stop drinking your calories, start chewing. Eat more vegetables, more salad - you don't need dressing but if you want to have something on it add lemon/salt/evoo/vinegar.. snack on carrots or tomatoes or celery or other vegetables loaded with nutrition and very low calories

If you are OK with eggs, perhaps having one egg in the morning, boiled, will give you a boost of energy in the AM (or as a snack, before dinner)

Cut the fage to 0% instead of 2% / swap the whole milk for fat free milk or skim - if you're not used to it, cut back slowly.

Cheese and Nuts are nutritious but don't snack on those every single day- they'll waste your calories in a heartbeat!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat only little enough to run a deficit that lets me lose a half pound a week. About six months ago got to a goal an started maintenance. I had been eating 1450 calories a day, but was having troupble meeting my goal. My Dietician started nagging me about eating more and adding more protein and also drinking more water. I had problems with all of that on maintenance, but slowly started increasing my intake.

Recently, I decided to lose about five more pounds to reduce my body fat because I'm studying to be a fitness instructor specializing in working with an older population teaching Zumba. I'm really excited about this.

Anyway I want to have a body make-up that's closer to athletic instead of average. I set my daily goal at 1500 calories a day. I'm 67and post menopausal so exercise is so necessary. I try to eat at least half my exercise calories back, which often gives me an extra 300-500 calories a day to increase to.

I don't know anything about dieting while nursing, but if you're drinking your meals, youwill have trouble being satisfied. We need protein that digests slowly and releases glucose into the body on a regulated basis, not as a boost (except maybe when we finish an exercise routine).

I have a history of undereating, so my efforts these days are nothing short of miraculous.

I would never put myself on 1200 calories ever again.
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I once made a very large bowl of salad for a work party. It was in a tupperware - a very large one, can't remember the exact size. Anyway, I hadn't put any dressing on it, kept the dressing in a tiny tupperware to mix it together just before we ate. When we were all in the conference Room about to start, two of my co workers were staring at me saying, "that tiny bit of dressing for that large of a salad??" They couldn't believe how little dressing I needed to make the salad taste great. When they finally got to trying it, they ate the most and were bewildered by what they just saw. I had put 1 lemon (juice) + 1 tbsp of evoo + 1 tsp or less of salt ONLY. It was exactly enough for that very large salad I made. I cut up my vegetables on the small size, so it's easier to eat btw.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The OP says she has been losing weight at a slow pace, which means running a calorie deficit. If you are eating at a deficit, I think it's quite normal to feel hungry. That's your body's way of telling you it needs more energy to maintain it's current self (which would include any additional demands associated with nursing). For me, it takes about 3 weeks of eating at a deficit to get used to it. By 'used to it' I mean getting used to feeling hungry. It's all about willpower and how bad you want to achieve a particular goal. As others have said, you can limit hunger by eating certain foods/macros as well.
  • abashir525
    abashir525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I could never eat 1200 cals. I am nursing and have my goal set to 1800. That is the # I got from a nursing calculator. Anyhow...I am really struggling to stay at or under 1800!!! I am very hungry mid-day and at night. I have been at this for a bit now, and I am losing really slowly, or bouncing up and down within 5lbs when I eat more than 1800. Without pigging out or binging, I could naturally eat 2200 cals! Seriously, how are you all doing this? This is SO hard. I feel so deprived but I really shouldn't given I am allowing 1800. And I am hitting my macros(40 carbs/30protein/30fat) so I should feel satiated. ????? I am never going to get to my goal if I go above 1800, but I just am having such a hard time not feeling bad and hungry. :( Help?

Breastfeeding hunger is like no other, don't worry it will get better once your little one starts solids. I am nursing a 10 month old and I've noticed my hunger has calmed down a little bit. I eat oatmeal 3 times a day to help me feel full; I mix in protein powder, flaxseed or chia and fruit. Oats also help with lactation, so its a win/win. Remember, 1800 calories is the LOWEST amount a nursing mother should go, so don't reduce any farther or else the quality of your milk will likely suffer.

Honestly, just listen to your body- eat healthy (no junk/empty calories) and if you are hungry, eat more! Also, make sure you are taking your prenatal vitamins- one that has plenty of calcium and magnesium (when we are low in these vitamins we tend to get intense sugar cravings)
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Making milk is hungry work. I've seen recommendations for calories between 1800-2200. I've got mine set at 1900 so that I don't feel hugely deprived. I've found that limiting sugary drinks helps keep me from eating ALL THE FOOD. Drink more water, eat a lot of fruits and veggies (as long as they don't bother your child), and know that you may not lose all of the weight until you stop nursing. A lot of women's bodies tend to hang on to the last 5-10 pounds of fat while nursing.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Both times I've nursed, I could've probably eaten 2500 cals/ day and still felt like I was starving. Especially when my kids were young and nursing every 1.5-2 hours, I could not keep up with my hunger! I also had problems cutting calories when I nursed because my supply would take a huge nosedive. Maybe try upping your calories by 100/ day to see if that helps? I don't think someone who hasn't nursed full time can understand the hunger!

ALL of this. I experienced the same. No one can understand the hunger when your body is producing such a nutrient rich product. I also started "dieting" while nursing and I found the best thing for me was eating A LOT of whole, fresh foods and healthy fats kept my cravings at bay. Lots of big leafy salads with avocado, nut butters (almond butter rocks), nuts, fresh veggies, etc. The water content of all the veggies helped keep my supply up, and the high healthy fat foods kept the cravings and protein up. If you can just get through the first few days of eating this way, the cravings will start to disappear.

Of course, not the same for everyone, but it worked for me!