Getting used to exercise

Options
I have lost almost 40 lbs thru changing my diet alone but over the last several weeks I have hit a brick wall and stopped losing. I decided I'd start walking and riding my bike on alternating days to help break thru this wall. The walking isn't too bad but riding my bike is killing me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. I'm not naive, I know losing weight isn't easy but I don't know how long I can stay motivated to exercise when I feel like dying afterwards. How long before it gets "easier" (for lack of a better word). Any advice?

Replies

• xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well, if you hate riding your bike in general, I would suggest finding something more fun (weight-lifting? roller-blading? swimming? wrestling?). Otherwise, work up to it. Do short bike rides easy every day (like, bike to the grocery store! Or to the laundromat! Unless you live out in the country in which case nevermind) and build up to long and more challenging rides. Everyone fails when they try to do too much too soon.
  • ssmaling
    ssmaling Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing - it never gets easier, you just get better. Keep at it, keep pushing. You've got this.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a rest day or interchanging doing the walking & biking? As another poster stated it takes time to build up. There's no point in making yourself feel ill through it. You should feel like you've done something after a workout but not to the point where you literally cant do anything else the rest of the day. It's all a balance.
  • ejk1071
    ejk1071 Posts: 9
    Options
    I walk Mon, Wed, Fri and ride Tue and Thur. I take the weekends off. It isn't so much I can't do anything afterwards (but I am wore out), it's more like all I can think when I'm doing it is "why the hell am I doing this?". One reply said it doesn't get easier, I just get better, I hope that isn't true. I guess what I'd really like to know is how long did it take others to get to a point where they didn't dread exercising.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 40 lbs thru changing my diet alone but over the last several weeks I have hit a brick wall and stopped losing. I decided I'd start walking and riding my bike on alternating days to help break thru this wall. The walking isn't too bad but riding my bike is killing me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. I'm not naive, I know losing weight isn't easy but I don't know how long I can stay motivated to exercise when I feel like dying afterwards. How long before it gets "easier" (for lack of a better word). Any advice?

It never gets easier because if you do well, you starat challenging yourself by working harder. What it does do is get more enjoyable and you don't care that it's hard because you really like, both the process and the results.Don't do anything you don't feel good about.
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you're having serious negative thoughts toward biking then I'd suggest you just cut it out. I hate, hate, hate running. So, I don't do it! I'd never get past the first week and just get discouraged. Why not walk every day or do some other form of activity?

To answer your question, I've been exercising regularly for 40 days and it took me about a month to feel more comfortable and actually excited (a little bit) about going to the gym.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check at your local bike store if there is a group you can join to bike. I do the same it is just more fun and more encouraging to do it in a group. Also, they may know great places to go and bike, i.e. state park.

If you have a loop, stop the time if you were faster this time then last week.....

What type of bike do you use? Is it properly adjusted to you. Often riders have discomfort because the bike is not properly adjusted and causes knee or neck/shoulder pain. I noticed that with my mountain bike I need more effort then with my street/racing bike. It may make a difference as well. Beginner often start with the heavy gear to make speed/progress, but it is actually important to have a rpm of 85-95. If you are slower switch in a easier gear, if you faster switch up.

These are tips which may make biking more enjoyable to you, but if you really don't like it, find another activitiy. As others have stated, you got to find something you will stick with to continue your journey and accomplish your goal.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    For me, it took FOREVER to see results. I worked out when I was overweight and I work out more now but it took a LOT of waiting. Keep your head up and don't be discouraged. Plateaus happen ('I am in one now) and don't weight yourself too often - it can be very discouraging.

It seems you hate working out (me too! I don't think I broke a sweat for 2 years...) haha! Do you have anything you could work out with at home?

I don't think I could ever make it to a gym so my only success has been taping really interesting TV, moving my treadmill to where I can see the TV and BLASTING it so I can hear it and almost forget I'm power walking with weights and on a 15% incline. I am unsure if this is an option for you, but my treadmill is about 12 years old and it is the only way I ever 'workout'. I dance and walk my dog also but it aint good enough apparently.
    Good luck!!!!!!
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I walk Mon, Wed, Fri and ride Tue and Thur. I take the weekends off. It isn't so much I can't do anything afterwards (but I am wore out), it's more like all I can think when I'm doing it is "why the hell am I doing this?". One reply said it doesn't get easier, I just get better, I hope that isn't true. I guess what I'd really like to know is how long did it take others to get to a point where they didn't dread exercising.

I just wanted to say you're not alone. I hate working out. I hate the gym. I sprained my ankle a month ago and I'm finally able to walk again so I'm back to step one of hating it even more. For me before I sprained it, it wasn't something I had gotten used to, it was something you just have to get up and do. The only positive side is if you work out you can eat more. I'm like a dog, I just keep telling myself the entire workout I can eat a piece of candy or a bagel if I go do it lol. Other then that just find something you like doing whether it be canoeing, tennis, playing football with some friends, rollerblading, etc. It won't suck as much because you won't be thinking of it as a work out.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing - it never gets easier, you just get better. Keep at it, keep pushing. You've got this.

Totally disagree with this. Any form of exercise used to be torture for me. Some of it physical but most of it mental. I dreaded getting on to the treadmill in the winter. Over the last few months my attitude changed and I enjoy running and biking to the point that I abandoned most of my computer time for outdoor "exercises".

You should focus on the activities you like most and keep at it. Back when I dreaded it, the only way to keep going was by maintaining a streak. I managed about 120 days without missing a single day (except 2 due to injury). These days I don't need any streaks. I go out because I enjoy it.
  • pmowers
    pmowers Posts: 10
    Options
    May be a silly question, but is your bike fitted for you? Back before life got in the way, I used to ride...alot, as much as 100 miles in a day. A seat position off by less than 1/2 inch is enough to turn a ride from pleasure into pure cramping, I can't stand this torture. The old formula that I used was 1.09 x the distance from your crotch to the floor. This should be the distance from the top of your seat to the top of the pedal when aligned with the seat post. A power position, this distance requires you to use your calves to "toe" through the bottom of your pedaling. Many people use a slightly shorter distance as they find it more comfortable. Your knees should never get above your hips- your quads will scream at you if you do for any prolonged time. It is amazing the number of people who do not have their bicycles fitted correctly.

I agree, it never gets easier, you just get better. I personally hate running, but I got used to it (the Army has a thing about running), and would run for several miles, same for pretty much all "exercise" regimens. After about a 12 year hiatus, I am actually starting to get back in shape. Hey, round is a shape, and it is more aerodynamic than those flat 6-pack abs.:tongue:

I bought a Fitbit, and have been tracking my walking for the last 10 months, and have tripled my distance per month. I started parking in the far lot when I go to meetings. A little over a month ago, I started tracking my food on MFP, and am down 11 pounds, 37 from my all-time high, with my first goal a little more than 20 pounds to go. I think that Rally's is going to shut down their local restaurant after losing my patronage!

Push-ups/sit-ups? Still getting up the nerve to go back to them- got used to them? Yes, liked them?-never! I will do wii-fit yoga, and some of the other exercises.

One of my inspirations- believe it or not is the Garth Brook's song, "I'm much too young (to feel this damn old)".
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    I would ditch the bike if I was you. Getting motivated to exercise is hard enough, but if you hate what you are doing you will never last with it (well I wouldn't). If you like to walk id stick with that and just lengthen the walks and try and challenge yourself. Iv been doing metafit for the last few months, and as much as it kills me during it...I love the buzz I get when iv done it, and its all over in half an hour. Good luck :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Don't torture yourself, forget the bike riding! Stick with walking, hiking, maybe eventually progress to light jogging and walking intervals. Invest in some weights and start lifting. Also youtube is a great resource for free workouts. I like Sean Vigue fitness. He does a lot of HIIT training, body weight exercises, plyometrics and yoga.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    go ahead and try the elliptical trainer. its low impact and is a great workout. when i first started (back in march) i could barely do 15 minutes. but over time it does get easier, and burns tons of calories. biking is good too. good luck :smile: :smile:
  • ejk1071
    ejk1071 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I always enjoyed riding when I was younger (and much lighter) so I don't want to just give up on it. I'll check local bike shops to see if there are any groups that ride together. I have several friends that "say" they'll ride with me but always seem to be busy. I'll give it a few more weeks and see where I'm at, if no change, I'll just stick to walking and maybe try riding again once I'm not so out of shape. Again, thanks everyone.