Few questions!

Options
SO When I originally joined back in August I was working as a waitress!! So I was considered active on MFP. I am not currently serving and will be starting at a salon & spa this month. I just changed to "inactive" which lowered my calorie intake down 200 plus points. I recently moved to Chicago so I walk a lot more than I did in Florida but I am pretty sure I still should change it to INACTIVE! opinions?? Another question I have is.....

I rarely tend to go over or close to my carb recommendation. I have gone over on my sugars though. This usually comes from fruit, veggies and oatmeal. It's usually all natural sugars. Today I had a Orange with had 20 plus grams of sugar! Should I try to always stay under my sugar if I am ALWAYS under my carbs? Opinions PLEASE!!

Jenn

Replies

• tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    As for carbs and sugar I'm the wrong one to ask, but for the acitve/inactive... My opinion, leave it inactive and add all the walking you do to your exercise to gain back some of your calories. My job is generally active, but has slow days-- so I have mine set for inactive and on particularly busy days I account for the extra walking ect. Hope this helped :)
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I don't count sugars from fruits.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tater!

I don't worry about sugars and carbs when they're natural sugars and carbs, but I'm sure there are folks who disagree. That's just my personal preference.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Articles that I have read is that you should try to come as close as possible to using all your carbs. It's the food that fuels your body for activity. Sugars are good but they are short lived energy boosts where carbs last longer. Once in awhile it is ok to fall under or over by a bit, but its not good for the long term. You can get carbs from veggies and whole grains that may help you get there.

Hope this helps.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I do eat oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat veggies and whole wheat bread. So any carbs I do eat are usually the "good kind." I'll try to pay attention to getting closer to my carb recommendation on a daily basis :)
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of opinions about this topic. I firmly believe (from my personal experience with this and with atkins' diet) that the type of calories you eat is meaningless compared to the amount of calories you eat. I think you will find that if you limit your calories and spread your calories out fairly evenly during the day, you will lose weight and body fat. Since starting this diet, I have been able to open up my diet to things like baby carrots which would have been a huge no-no on Atkins and have a lot of carbs.

My advice is to lose the weight first and then, if you feel the need to fine tune your body, then start monitoring your source of calories.

There are a lot of different ways to achieve your goals. Good luck!
  • jmelhouck
    Options
    I also discount sugars as long as they are coming from natural sources. Fruits and honey are naturally sweet, so I pay them no mind and do sometimes go over. What I really try to avoid is refined sugars.

On the carbs, I get as close as I can and try to keep it as close to good carbs as possible.