do I need a lot of protein for a flat stomach?

Options
I've been wondering since I never seem to hit enough protein.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You need a lot of protein and a lot of calories to support heavy-lifting to build the muscle that will make you look lean and taut once you lose enough fat to see the underlying muscle.

So in that way yes. That said just eating lots of protein alone won't do anything other than give you more calories.

Are you trying to build muscle or lose fat?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Protein can help preserve lean mass, which means you have to lose less weight in the long run. Lifting also helps preserve lean mass.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • christinelast
    Options

You need a lot of protein and a lot of calories to support heavy-lifting to build the muscle that will make you look lean and taut once you lose enough fat to see the underlying muscle.

So in that way yes. That said just eating lots of protein alone won't do anything other than give you more calories.

Trying to lose the fat on my stomach only
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options

friend you can't spot reduce.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Can't be done! There is no spot reduction. Need low overall body fat to get a six-pack.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Impossible. Can't spot reduce. Losing fat is like trying to dry a sponge. Can't dry a corner when the rest is still wet. Your body decides where to burn it and there is no food or exercise that will make your body use up stomach fat first.
  • christinelast
    Options
    I kno but ifi still have fat only on the stomach should I still continue a small deficit?
  • christinelast
    Options
    Aaron seems to say to bulk. I don't want six pack
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Aaron seems to say to bulk. I don't want six pack

He didn't tell you to bulk. He said to start lifting heavy. The key to having a six pack is having low body fat and flexing. If you don't want a six pack don't flex. Heavy lifting will help you reach your goals, it will not make you bulky.
  • christinelast
    Options
    So heavy lifting will give one a flat stomach?
  • christinelast
    Options
    And what does protein do?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Sufficient protein is required to maintain or build muscle. At a caloric surplus you can build muscle, at caloric deficit you can only really maintain your muscle. General advice is 0.8g of protein per pound of lean mass.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If you stick with it and you lower your bodyfat sufficiently in theory yes. I mean you can check usmcmp's pics, clearly worked for her.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I already answered both of these. Protein and lifting help you retain muscle which means you have to lose less weight in the long run. Either way if your body fat is high you will have to lose fat to have a flat stomach. If you are at a normal weight then heavy lifting is going to be very important. The most important factor is being patient.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    it will help
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you have fat on your stomach, you have fat on the rest of your body. There is no way to spot reduce. Fat comes and goes where it wants and you have to eat a calorie deficit and get some strength training in (to not lose as much muscle) and eventually, after a very slow process, some of the fat will go away. On your entire body, including your stomach.
  • usmcmp
    Options

If you stick with it and you lower your bodyfat sufficiently in theory yes. I mean you can check usmcmp's pics, clearly worked for her.

:flowerforyou:

To the OP: Don't think you will end up with a six pack or muscles like me. Those took YEARS of very hard work to build.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Bets way I can tell anyone to build muscle and lose fat is to lift heavy was doing no more than 30 minutes of cardio a day. Do to much cardio and your just burning away the cals your body needs to build muscle. Now this works for me. Dont know how it works for others. This is also why most body builders do very little cardio during training season.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Your stomach and 6 pack are made in the kitchen meaning your diet. Eat at a deficit. It has to come off eventually from your stomach. It just might come off other areas first and your stomach last. Keep doing weights they are important to keeping your muscle tone and will help hold everything together so you see results better. Plus they burn calories huge bonus. A good diet at a 500-calorie deficit, weights 3x a week, cardio 3x a week. That’s it. People just try and overcomplicate a very uncomplicated thing. Either that or they want an easy 30 day fix. That just isn't going to happen.