Anybody who is a little "thick" but in shape?

Options
So I've put on some pounds from surgery recovery and can't get them off, which I'm fine with, I only gained about 7 lbs. I used to have skinny legs, thighs, hips and no love handles. I like being curvier/thicker. I see some of the trainers/class teachers at the gym all the time and still are thick. So my question is, can I be thicker but still have a smooth defined shaped?

Replies

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I definitely think I'm in shape. I can run reasonable distances, lift heavy things, and have muscles that pop out and look good, especially after a good workout. But I'm definitely thick. You can see from my pictures (they're public) what I mean. Overall, I'd be 100% happy with just maintaining if my stomach were flatter.

For reference, I'm 5'4 and about 190lbs
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i think so :smile: all depends on how you feel about yourself etc. as long as your weight is within healthy limits, you should be fine
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm most definitely solidly built. I consider my thighs and butt my powerhouse, and truly love the way they look. For reference, I'm 5'8.5", 170lbs and happy here
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can!! I'm 5'5 and I hover between 180 and 190 lbs, down from about 227 or so, and mostly happy here. I'd not mind getting closer to 175, but this is fine. I'm a pretty solid size 14, which was the original goal, and I've mostly maintained it for the last 3 years. I, like another poster, can run reasonable distances, I can lift, I have visible muscle tone in my legs, arms and butt (my belly is another issue but that probably requires surgery!). I completed a half marathon last year and ran very step (training for number 2 right now) and recently completed a Tough Mudder with a team of people who were visibly much more "in shape" than me....and I definitely held my own, and ran it a lot more comfortably than others on my team!

and...in all honesty, the people who are attracted to me pretty regularly praise my size 14 body - and I get a lot of this "I'm glad you're healthier, but please don't lose anymore weight!"

If you love the way you feel and you're capable of physical activities that you're proud of, enjoy that thickness!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One of my Zumba instructors looks larger than I am, and I'm still pretty overweight, Girlfriend has NO jiggle and more stamina than I could ever even IMAGINE having. Take that for what you will. I'm also in better shape now than I was 20lbs ago (my lowest adult weight).

Edit: since others noted, I will as well. I'm 5'4", 169lbs, and hovering on the borderline between a 12 and a 14 (bought shorts that were 12s today and they fit like a glove!). When I was 150ish and a size 9, I wasn't near as firm, nor could I workout as long.