Is there any theory/science behind loosing inches?

Options
Hiya, i'm looking to loose ~3 inches all around and i'm wondering if theres any theory or science to it? I know that to loose weight, eat less than your TDEE, to gain eat more, a pound is 3500 calories so eat less than than in a week = 1 lb down a week etc etc etc.

but i'm wondering if theres any theory or science to fitness specifically loosing inches other than just do cardio. Is there, ex. how many calories you have to burn to lose 1/2 inch, how many minutes of cardio do you do, can weight lifting do anything about it? Do you have to loose only fat to loose inches or would you have to loose some muscle as well? corset waist training? etc etc etc

Sorry if it's a dumb question but i'm new to this and hoping to get some guidance.

Thank you x

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question but I can't imagine there is a real answer to that.

You lose inches when you lose fat, but you cannot spot reduce and where people lose fat is very much dependent on their bodytype. Also how much fat you have to lose an inch is very dependent on your percent bodyfat, how obese you are and your overall size.

So considering all the variables there really isn't a "X inches = Y pounds of fat" formula that you can just apply.
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    agh right, i'm starting out at 32-28-38, and 22% body fat. not sure if thats really high for a female. but i've got another 10-15lbs to loose and i'm wondering if theres anything extra i should or could be doing to sort it out. thank you though!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    There's no way to predict where you will lose weight. It's entirely determined by genetics. You can't spot reduce.

For good, basic information, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A 25" waist may not be physically possible.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    exactly!
    There's no way to predict where you will lose weight. It's entirely determined by genetics. You can't spot reduce.

when i was in college, and walked all the time as a hobby, i had a 19 to 20 inch waist corsetted. that being said, i'm 5' 3" and had while i had low body fat, i had muscular legs, so height AND genetics played a part.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

And why do you think that it may not be physically impossible? Are you referring to the OP or to women in general?

I have a 25' waist (PITA to get pants to fit me well with 34" hips), and during my younger years my waist was between 21 and 23 inches. So it is possible.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

And why do you think that it may not be physically impossible? Are you referring to the OP or to women in general?

I have a 25' waist (PITA to get pants to fit me well with 34" hips), and during my younger years my waist was between 21 and 23 inches. So it is possible.

I think he/she refers to OP's stats...

It's possible but takes some hard work and patience to lose the whole 3 inch from the waist...
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure loosing inches is not a thing.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I think he/she refers to OP's stats...

It's possible but takes some hard work and patience to lose the whole 3 inch from the waist...

The OP is only 19 ears old, so she has a good chance to get there, if it is genetically possible.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I started doing zumba, I took my measurements. It was the first time I took measurements (was down about 32lbs at that point). 8 weeks later, I've lost a solid 5 inches off my waist (and 13ish pounds). Guaranteed that if there's a formula, 13lbs does not = 5 inches off. I lost them because of the way I was training my body/waist/core with workouts (not JUST Zumba, but that was my biggest change). So, essentially - just be as active as possible! I guarantee I lost more inches with varying workouts than just the scale number. X amount of pounds lost is definitely not X amount of inches. Push your body. Try different workouts. You'll see what works best for you.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I don't think 25" is possible for everyone, and maybe not likely for someone already at low-20s body fat % and 28". Maybe it is but better to be prepared that shape may not be in your genes and that size might put you at too low of bf% or weight for general health.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't think 25" is possible for everyone, and maybe not likely for someone already at low-20s body fat % and 28". Maybe it is but better to be prepared that shape may not be in your genes and that size might put you at too low of bf% or weight for general health.

I kinda agree with you on this. organs take space so when a lean person try to lose more inches on waist, it's not impossible but how many more that't the question. sounds like OP carries more weight on the bottom half so maybe another inch or two the top on the waist...but we should never say "never", right? :drinker:
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider lifting. 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' is great; it's what I've used--but there are some others I've see recommended on here by folks who seem to know. Cardio is good to start, and a great way to blow off some stress outside, but lifting is where it's at, in my humble opinion, for health and fitness, speaking as a product of the Aerobics craze of the 80's, and avid walk/runner for weight control for years--now I lift for better results in less time--and it really makes me feel better and able to do more in all of my life.

Do some reading on it! And don't worry about details like just how many calories to an inch--just work on eating decent and general fitness and the inches (and pounds) will take care of themselves. And you've not got a lot of weight to lose--slow loss is what to expect. They say to not expect to see changes for 6 weeks in lifting--but I could see and feel a difference in 2. Don't think anyone else could, but it was encouraging to me.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders. How did the OP come up with a 25" waist?
    That said I had a 24" waist in high school. However, I weighed 98 lbs, ran long distance, did tons of aerobics classes and lifted weights. I'm also fine boned and 5'1".
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Funny for me I realized so far that 1kg loss is 1cm down on my waist.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider lifting. 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' is great; it's what I've used--but there are some others I've see recommended on here by folks who seem to know. Cardio is good to start, and a great way to blow off some stress outside, but lifting is where it's at, in my humble opinion, for health and fitness, speaking as a product of the Aerobics craze of the 80's, and avid walk/runner for weight control for years--now I lift for better results in less time--and it really makes me feel better and able to do more in all of my life.

Do some reading on it! And don't worry about details like just how many calories to an inch--just work on eating decent and general fitness and the inches (and pounds) will take care of themselves. And you've not got a lot of weight to lose--slow loss is what to expect. They say to not expect to see changes for 6 weeks in lifting--but I could see and feel a difference in 2. Don't think anyone else could, but it was encouraging to me.
    I second this. :)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders. How did the OP come up with a 25" waist?
    That said I had a 24" waist in high school. However, I weighed 98 lbs, ran long distance, did tons of aerobics classes and lifted weights. I'm also fine boned and 5'1".

Saw a documentary the other day on the US size 0. Apparently the model figure to aim for is a 23 inch waist. :noway:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    A nurse who takes measurements all day told me almost NO ONE has a 24" waist.

My beanpole 14 y/o has a 26" waist and she's 108lbs., 5'5" and naturally small waisted w/a long torso. There is no way hers will ever be smaller, barring anorexia.

Even 28" is a tiny waist. I agree that the goal sounds a little ED.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Saw a documentary the other day on the US size 0. Apparently the model figure to aim for is a 23 inch waist. :noway:
    Those runway models and some actresses are scary thin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Losing inches in weight loss usually means reducing your body fat. Body fat is reduced systematically even throughout the whole body when you're in energy deficit.
    Cardio DOESN'T target fat burning, cardio burns calories. So does weight lifting or any other physical activity. Cardio is an effective way to burn calories and help with a calorie deficit which is what one needs to create and energy deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition