Anyone had thier Thyroid removed?

I have battled my weight everysince I had kids but now I am trying to lose the weight I have gained since my Thyroid was removed. Anyone out there had thier Thyroid removed and have you had any luck?

Replies

• ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    I have not had mine removed but I have hypothyroidism and can tell you that I go through the same thing. (my mom had hers removed) It is a matter of your tsh levels being where they should be. When is the last time you had your tsh checked? Are you taking it without food and waiting for at least half hour before eating?
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    I have battled my weight everysince I had kids but now I am trying to lose the weight I have gained since my Thyroid was removed. Anyone out there had thier Thyroid removed and have you had any luck?

I had my thyroid out 4 months ago.

The poster above is incorrect - it is NOT about getting appropriate TSH levels. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one.

You need to get your free T3 and free T4 levels tested and make sure they are optimal (and not just 'within normal range"). If you're on a T4-only med like Synthroid or Levothyroxine then it's especially important to get your free T3 levels tested -- often after surgery people have difficulties converting T4 into the active hormone T3.

If your free T3 levels are low you can add a synthetic T3 like cytomel, or you can switch to a dessicated combo med that has both T3 and T4.
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member

"The poster above is incorrect - it is NOT about getting appropriate TSH levels. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one."

I differ with you on that comment, it is on OCCASIONTALLY used to check your pituitary gland,

The TSH test is often the test of choice for evaluating thyroid function and/or symptoms of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. It is frequently ordered along with or preceding a T4 test. Other thyroid tests that may be ordered include a T3 test and thyroid antibodies (if autoimmune-related thyroid disease is suspected).

TSH testing is used to:

Diagnose a thyroid disorder in a person with symptoms
    Screen newborns for an underactive thyroid
    Monitor thyroid replacement therapy in people with hypothyroidism
    Diagnose and monitor female infertility problems
    Help evaluate the function of the pituitary gland (occasionally)
    Screen adults for thyroid disorders, although expert opinions vary on who can benefit from screening and at what age to begin
  • I have been on Armour for about a year and I feel a thousand times better - I was on T-4 then started taking T-3 but I didn't feel good still. The Armour seems to make me feel better but I seem to have to work twice as hard to get ANY weight off. Do any of you have the same problem?
  • islandmonkey
    "The poster above is incorrect - it is NOT about getting appropriate TSH levels. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one."

I differ with you on that comment, it is on OCCASIONTALLY used to check your pituitary gland,

TSH is a pituitary hormone, therefore it does not directly test your thyroid - it only tests what your pituitary thinks your thyroid is doing.

Ergo, you cannot directly test the thyroid by testing TSH. You can differ all you want - but the facts are the facts. I wasn't saying it was used to test for pituitary disorders, I'm saying that ALL it tests is the pituitary and NOT the thyroid.

The TSH test is often the test of choice for evaluating thyroid function and/or symptoms of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. It is frequently ordered along with or preceding a T4 test. Other thyroid tests that may be ordered include a T3 test and thyroid antibodies (if autoimmune-related thyroid disease is suspected).

TSH testing is used to:

Diagnose a thyroid disorder in a person with symptoms
    Screen newborns for an underactive thyroid
    Monitor thyroid replacement therapy in people with hypothyroidism
    Diagnose and monitor female infertility problems
    Help evaluate the function of the pituitary gland (occasionally)
    Screen adults for thyroid disorders, although expert opinions vary on who can benefit from screening and at what age to begin

It's great that you can quote a website, but as someone who has dealt with thyroid issues for 20 years and has done more research than most doctors (including listening to the patient experience), I can tell you that TSH is NOT the be-all-end-all test that some medical people purport it to be:

1. TSH responds differently to exogenous thyroxine (synthetic T4) than it does to the body's own thyroxine. Therefore for someone already on thyroid meds it becomes a poor stand-alone diagnostic tool.

2. Testing just TSH, or TSH plus free T4, also doesn't capture any issues with converting T4 into T3 (a common issue for those on T4-only meds).

3. The "normal range" for TSH is hotly debated and controversial, and testing just TSH doesn't allow for any variances in different individuals or for analysis of the entire pituitary-thyroid axis. People are often told their thyroid is "normal" with a TSH of 4.0, when it fact it is not at all optimal for that person.

4. The TSH test is sensitive to the conditions under which the blood is kept. If it is left for too long the TSH test can be greatly affected and incorrect.

5. The TSH test might be the "test of choice" for many uneducated doctors, but that is largely because until just over a decade ago it was the ONLY choice. Now there are direct, affordable, reliable free T3 and free T4 tests that give a much better picture.

So again, thanks for copying and pasting something from a website, but you need to think critically and research before advising people.
  • islandmonkey
    I have been on Armour for about a year and I feel a thousand times better - I was on T-4 then started taking T-3 but I didn't feel good still. The Armour seems to make me feel better but I seem to have to work twice as hard to get ANY weight off. Do any of you have the same problem?

You might be on too low of a dose - how many grains are you on? Has your doctor tested your free T3 lately? (Make sure to take your Armour [i[after[/i] your morning labs, or it can artifically inflate the free T3 result)
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    I had my thyroid over 10 years ago, I have lost weight, gained it back but this time I am really having a hard time, it is not coming off, plus going thru menopause :(...When I had my last physical the Dr. said I was a bit hyper but did not want to increase the dose which could be the reason for the difficulty losing it this time. I dont know what to do..it gets to be very aggravating after awhile.
  • islandmonkey
    I had my thyroid over 10 years ago, I have lost weight, gained it back but this time I am really having a hard time, it is not coming off, plus going thru menopause :(...When I had my last physical the Dr. said I was a bit hyper but did not want to increase the dose which could be the reason for the difficulty losing it this time. I dont know what to do..it gets to be very aggravating after awhile.

What made your doctor say you were a bit hyper? Did he/she just test TSH, or did they also test your free T3 and free T4?

If you're on a T4-only med like Synthroid or Levothyroxine, it's especially important to get your free T3 tested. 20% of your body's T3 hormone would have come from your thyroid, so without one you're already starting from behind. As well, if your body has any issues converting the T4 into T3 then you might be on the wrong meds.
  • Thanks for that advice! Since I felt better I didn't even think to have them still test the T-3 I usually take it before I go to bed at least 3 hours after dinner - Should I be takingmy pill in the morning instead?
  • I had my thyroid over 10 years ago, I have lost weight, gained it back but this time I am really having a hard time, it is not coming off, plus going thru menopause :(...When I had my last physical the Dr. said I was a bit hyper but did not want to increase the dose which could be the reason for the difficulty losing it this time. I dont know what to do..it gets to be very aggravating after awhile.

Ya - now I am in my 40's - partial hysterectomy and no thyroid.....but I shall suceed! I have found that I REALLY have to watch what I eat - I can't "cheat" every once and awhile.......dang it!
  • islandmonkey
    Thanks for that advice! Since I felt better I didn't even think to have them still test the T-3 I usually take it before I go to bed at least 3 hours after dinner - Should I be takingmy pill in the morning instead?

There's actually evidence of better absorption when taken at night, so keep doing what you're doing! :)
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Hi! I'll send you a friend request. I have had my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer (about 14 years ago). I have been successful with weight loss! :) 4lbs till goal
  • joann
    I think he did just test the TSHand I am on Levothyroxine, I go back to him in May I will ask him about it. thanks
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Had my left half removed 16 years ago and have been on Synthroid ever since. The original symptoms that led to my diagnosis (Hashimoto/goiter) were weight gain, depression, fatigue. First doctor dx'ed depression (I had recently lost my father) and prescribed Zoloft. Let me tell you the joy of that little blue pill--NOT! Stopped taking and happened to mention symptoms to my OBGYN during my yearly, a few months later. He brushed me off at first but upon palpating my neck he discovered the nodule. Spent my first wedding anniversary recuperating from surgery.

Anywhoooo, I've struggled with weight all my life, but especially since the removal of the left node. Synthroid dose has been adjusted maybe a dozen times over the years but I suppose I just resigned myself to being a big girl forever. In the last couple years I have been doing more research into treating the condition more thoroughly but need to take that next step and have a serious discussion with my MD. Specifically, I've spent a lot of time on the stopthethyroidmadness website. Also bought a couple books but haven't made the effort to read them. Did do some reading about adrenal issues and decided to add a magnesium supplement to my life last month. THAT has made more of a difference than any other changes I've made in my life.

islandmonkey, it's obvious you are passionate about this issue and have done your homework. I would be very interested in talking to you more about this.

Any of you--feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Hi, sending you a friend request, too. I had thyroid removed for cancer a little over 3 years ago. I've not been successful in losing the 25-30 lbs I've gained in the years since then...but I know now is no time to stop trying. Some are doing quite well, and it motivates me. But damn, it's true: no cheating at all allowed anymore. I never worried about weight before this, but c'est la vie.
  • joann
    I finally found a dr that has done extensive testing and my t3 is way low..I just started taking cytomel 2 weeks ago along with vit b 12 and adaptan all ...hope this helps..
  • that's awesome. I need T3 testing in my life, sigh.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    I have been on Armour for about a year and I feel a thousand times better - I was on T-4 then started taking T-3 but I didn't feel good still. The Armour seems to make me feel better but I seem to have to work twice as hard to get ANY weight off. Do any of you have the same problem?
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    [/quote

Have you tried splitting the dose, part in am and smaller dose in the pm. Also strength training is very important. My Dr recommended it over walking. I try to do both.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating at a deficit. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants