Dr Oz's 2 Week Rapid Diet Plan?

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Anything Dr. Oz tells you to do, do the opposite of it.
    He's a quack. And not the cute kind that waddles across the street with its fuzzy babies following behind it.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    DR. OZ’S TWO-WEEK RAPID WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

WAKEUP: Start day with cup hot water & ½ lemon
    BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE: (see recipe)
    GREEN TEA: preferably organic
    PROTEIN: one 6-oz. serving of meat (chicken, turkey or fish) per day
    CARBS: ½ cup of cooked brown rice a day (otherwise no carbs/starches)
    FATS: good fats in moderation (e.g. olive oil and avocado)
    DAIRY: 1 cup of 2 % plain Greek yogurt per day (otherwise no dairy)
    VEGETABLES: unlimited low-glycemic vegetables (see list) and Detox Broth (see recipe).
    SNACKS: Hummus, pickles, a couple handfuls of nuts

WHAT YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE
    • No wheat (only ½ cup brown rice)
    • No artificial sweeteners (this includes all diet soda)
    • No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No caffeine (ONLY green tea)
    • No dairy (except Greek yogurt)
    • No additional exercise
    • No meals between 8pm-8am

OTHER THINGS TO DO
    • Take probiotic in the morning
    • Take a multivitamin (preferably ½ in the morning & ½ at night)
    • Detox bath every night (soak with 2 cups Epsom salt & 1 cup baking soda)

LOW-GI VEGETABLES
    Artichokes
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Bamboo shoots
    Bean sprouts
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Leeks
    Lentils
    Beans (green, kidney, garbanzo)
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Squash
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Water chestnuts
    Watercress
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)

SHOPPING LIST
    • Rice protein powder (28 tbsp)
    • 1 ¾ cups ground flaxseeds
    • 3 ½ cups brown rice
    • 1 bottle olive oil
    • Balsamic vinegar (or other preferred vinegar) for salad dressing
    • Green tea
    • Epsom salt
    • Baking soda

SHOPPING LIST (EACH WEEK BUY)
    • 4 lemons
    • 4 bananas
    • 56 oz frozen berries
    • 2 qts unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    • 4 avocados
    • 7 plain 2% Greek yogurts (6-oz serving size)
    • 1 ½ lbs chicken, turkey, or fish combined

SHOPPING LIST (DETOX VEGETABLE BROTH)
    4 large onions 8 carrots
    4 cups winter squash 8 celery stalks
    2 cups cabbage Dried ginger
    8 cloves whole garlic Sea salt, to taste
    4 cups root vegetable (any of the following: turnips, parsnips, rutabagas)
    8 cups chopped greens (any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion)
    (Or you can buy low sodium organic broth from the grocery store) DR. OZ’S TWO-WEEK RAPID WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

RECIPES
    Breakfast Smoothie Vegetable Broth
    • 2 tablespoons rice protein powder
    • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
    • ½ cup frozen berries
    • ½ banana
    • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

For every three quarts of water add:
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 2 carrots, sliced
    • 1 cup of winter squash cut into large cubes
    • 1 cup of root vegetables: any of the following: turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas for sweetness
    • 2 cups of chopped greens: any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion,
    • 2 celery stalks
    • ½ cup of cabbage
    • 4 ½-inch slices of fresh ginger
    • 2 cloves of whole garlic (not chopped or crushed)
    • Sea salt, to taste

Add all the ingredients at once and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste. Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge.

Heat gently and drink up to 3–4 cups a day.

Makes: 2 quarts or 8 cups

Prep time: 30 minutes
    Cook time: 60 minutes
    Draw your own conclusions, but this jump-started my 30# weight loss, and it gave a guide to follow to get started. No one is saying you have to stay on it... but it's just as good as any plan to start from IMHO.

Uh...why waste vegetables that you cooked?! You're drinking vegetable flavored water, of course you're gonna lose weight.
  • latehippy
    latehippy Posts: 7
    Options
    i'm also trying this... i did try one other "fad diet" once upon a time, but i usually don't think they are right, like most of you here.

at the same time, when you track your calories in and out and divide by 3500, but don't see that estimated weight change.. average over a week, say ... it's pretty frustrating.

I had to realize it really is NOT all about in and out math, it's just NOT that way for everyone. i might not have believed it either fifteen years ago, but this is my recent experience.

So, sometimes, yes, an explicit instruction sheet is super helpful, especially in the hustle that most women deal with- parenting, working, everything in between.

It's spelled out and black and white- there's nothing pharmaceutical on there, there's nothing missing, and it touts all the good stuff- organic, low sodium, fresh veggies, good fats, good carbs. And there is NO calorie limit at all, just the right calories.

I think after the two weeks, i will put back a bit more fruit and grains, gradually. Ideally, this comprises a diet i would want as a lifestyle.

i wil say i have noticed my skin looks amazing! which i never even expected or gave thought to. So... it can't be all bad.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You know that Oz was called out for his quackery during his Senate testimony, right?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    i'm also trying this... i did try one other "fad diet" once upon a time, but i usually don't think they are right, like most of you here.

at the same time, when you track your calories in and out and divide by 3500, but don't see that estimated weight change.. average over a week, say ... it's pretty frustrating.

I had to realize it really is NOT all about in and out math, it's just NOT that way for everyone. i might not have believed it either fifteen years ago, but this is my recent experience.

So, sometimes, yes, an explicit instruction sheet is super helpful, especially in the hustle that most women deal with- parenting, working, everything in between.

It's spelled out and black and white- there's nothing pharmaceutical on there, there's nothing missing, and it touts all the good stuff- organic, low sodium, fresh veggies, good fats, good carbs. And there is NO calorie limit at all, just the right calories.

I think after the two weeks, i will put back a bit more fruit and grains, gradually. Ideally, this comprises a diet i would want as a lifestyle.

i wil say i have noticed my skin looks amazing! which i never even expected or gave thought to. So... it can't be all bad.

Weight loss isn't linear. Water weight happens.
    You're also following a fad diet from a man who was just grilled by the government today.

And yes, it is calories in and calories out. If you are not seeing results, you are not eating at a calorie deficit and are overeating. Nobody is immune from this. If you consume more energy than you spend, you will gain. Period.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first part of Dr Oz's 2 week plan.

wake up ~ start day.

:laugh: :tongue:
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    no alcohol, no caffeine...
    **** stopped reading...lol

gosh no wonder I'm still fat, how did i ever lose 17kg just eating normal foods, silly silly me..
    oh hang on i don't give a **** if it takes 2 years or 2 weeks, its coming off slowly and it aint all going to come back on....plus more
    betcha anyone that does this dr oz diet it will....
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OP, to answer your immediate inquiry: No, I have never tried it. Would I? Not likely. Why? Because it's both too complicated and way more work than it really needs to be.

If you look at something and say "I could do this for 2 weeks" and do not see it being anything that would influence future eating... it's probably not going to be worth your while.

This being said, if vegetables and legumes on the low-GI list are both accessible and desirable to you and your husband, by all means start replacing some of the sugary, fatty stuff you're eating with these foods. There are some nummy things on the list and I encourage y'all to try anything on it you may not have had the privilege of noshing on in the past!

If you're simply looking for an easier way to shop for your family, I would highly suggest sticking to single ingredient foods that are accessible and enjoyed by the members of your household. Go out and enjoy the tastes of the summer!
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options

VEGETABLES: unlimited low-glycemic vegetables (see list) and Detox Broth (see recipe).

• No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No additional exercise

OTHER THINGS TO DO

LOW-GI VEGETABLES
    Artichokes
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Bamboo shoots
    Bean sprouts
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Leeks
    Lentils
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Squash
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Water chestnuts
    Watercress
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, iceberg lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)

SHOPPING LIST
    • 3 ½ cups brown rice
    • 1 bottle olive oil
    • Green tea
    • Epsom salt
    • Baking soda

• 4 lemons
    • 4 bananas
    • 56 oz frozen berries
    • 4 avocados

4 large onions 8 carrots
    8 cups chopped greens (any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion)
    (Or you can buy low sodium organic broth from the grocery store) DR. OZ’S TWO-WEEK RAPID WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

RECIPES
    • ½ cup frozen berries
    • ½ banana

• 1 large onion, chopped
    • 2 carrots, sliced
    • 1 cup of root vegetables: any of the following: turnips, parsnips, and rutabagas for sweetness
    • 2 cups of chopped greens: any of the following: kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion,
    • 2 celery stalks
    • ½ cup of cabbage
    • Sea salt, to taste

Add all the ingredients at once and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste. Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge.

Draw your own conclusions, but this jump-started my 30# weight loss, and it gave a guide to follow to get started. No one is saying you have to stay on it... but it's just as good as any plan to start from IMHO.

this just sounds like a "socially acceptable" pro ana diet.
  • latehippy
    Options
    I saw the links posted all over here, hard to miss lol

I wouldn't say McCaskill called Jim a quack as much as reprimanded him for using misleading language about certain diets. It didn't appear that she disparaged his work altogether.

Besides that, though, judging the diet as bad just based on its end-user, rather than criticizing specific components of the diet itself seems unhelpful to me.

Some have voiced such concrete criticisms about the 2 week plan, which I found useful. I find the pros posted useful as well. If someone examines the diet (posted in this thread twice) and has some specific disadvantages to point out about it, I would be so interested !
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I saw the links posted all over here, hard to miss lol

I wouldn't say McCaskill called Jim a quack as much as reprimanded him for using misleading language about certain diets. It didn't appear that she disparaged his work altogether.

Besides that, though, judging the diet as bad just based on its end-user, rather than criticizing specific components of the diet itself seems unhelpful to me.

Some have voiced such concrete criticisms about the 2 week plan, which I found useful. I find the pros posted useful as well. If someone examines the diet (posted in this thread twice) and has some specific disadvantages to point out about it, I would be so interested !

This is one the things the Senator said to Oz:
    >>>When you feature a product on your show, it creates what has become known as ‘Oz Effect,’ dramatically boosting sales and driving scam artists to pop up overnight using false and deceptive ads to sell questionable products,” the Senator explained. “I’m concerned that you are melding medical advice, news and entertainment in a way that harms consumers.” <<<<

His plan is not completely awful. The problem is that it more complicated than it needs to be and it promises too much.
    Most importantly, we do not need to detox. Our bodies are cleaning machines.

Here is what is not useful/ not good/ not necessary/or a waste:
    protein powders -- most people do not need them
    brown rice -- regular white rice or similar carbs work just as well
    balsamic vinegar -- this is only if you want / like/ already use balsamic vinegar
    Espom salt -- not a requirement by a long shot

The broth looks tasty. Keep in mind the it will have a diuretic effect.
  • latehippy
    Options
    RodaR, thank you, so glad to read your thoughtful, unemotional response. And you were able to read through my swypos! (Phone typos lol)

Where I wrote, "don't judge by... end user" I meant, "...by... creator" !

Anyway, I also wondered about the protein powders, because certainly they don't seem "natural" but... I liked everything else I read.
    I must confess I am looking for quick right now, realizing that going back to eating yummy, bad for you carbs will shoot the weight back up. However, I will say I have lost forty pounds over two years (slow enough? Lol) doing the right things and once I stopped, the weight came back (slowly), so it didn't matter what method is used, for me, I have to keep it up.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are on a good path right now. Keep it up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I just started it today and am really excited about maybe finally losing some weight and trying to get rid of some bad habits and gain good habits.

I realize it is a starting point and need to stick with a healthy diet and work out. Just logging in my calories is not making me lose weight although it has helped to see the macros and calories of different foods that I eat in order to educate myself. However, I have bad eating habits and need to change. Plus the plan looks healthy to me.

First bad habit you should kick: Fad diets

First good habits you shoud gain: Don't do fad diets, track everything you eat, eat at a modest calorie deficit, exercise for added good health
  • latehippy
    Options
    You're also following a fad diet from a man who was just grilled by the government today.

And yes, it is calories in and calories out. If you are not seeing results, you are not eating at a calorie deficit and are overeating. Nobody is immune from this. If you consume more energy than you spend, you will gain. Period.

I would love it if someone explained how

"it is calories in and calories out," yet "weight loss isn't linear" and also how long does "water weight happen?"

If it were cal in cal out, then weight loss WOULD be linear. I have plotted my cal and estimated wt (based on the deficit/ 3500) and it works to the decimal for a few days, then suddenly i'll either gain or maintain.

To "water weight," I still cannot find any good explanation of this one.

(People always ask posters, so- My diet since 06/09 has been strictly this thread's topic diet (exception- had only one avocado last week, no more). I go to the gym and strength train for about 30 min with occasional days of spin class for the same amount of time. I also started going after work to Tae Kwon Do class, which is about 30 min of interval cardio and some strength. M-F only. S-S lightly active. )
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I would love it if someone explained how

"it is calories in and calories out," yet "weight loss isn't linear" and also how long does "water weight happen?"

If it were cal in cal out, then weight loss WOULD be linear. I have plotted my cal and estimated wt (based on the deficit/ 3500) and it works to the decimal for a few days, then suddenly i'll either gain or maintain.

To "water weight," I still cannot find any good explanation of this one.

(People always ask posters, so- My diet since 06/09 has been strictly this thread's topic diet (exception- had only one avocado last week, no more). I go to the gym and strength train for about 30 min with occasional days of spin class for the same amount of time. I also started going after work to Tae Kwon Do class, which is about 30 min of interval cardio and some strength. M-F only. S-S lightly active. )

Water weight can happen for a million and one reasons.
    For instance, my birthday weekend I had sushi and alcohol. I "gained" five pounds from that entire weekend from all the water I retained from soy sauce, probably the sushi itself, and all the alcohol I consumed over the weekend.

Sodium causes water weight. Working out and muscles holding on to excess water causes water weight. Drinking a gallon of water and then weighing yourself causes water weight.

So no, weight loss isn't linear. I've had a consistent deficit and have worked out every week, and my losses are not consistent. Because what you eat (and the micronutrients in it) can have an affect on water retention and weight loss. And you also need to factor in that you are not going to have the same food deficit, calorie burn, ect that you did before. Every day is different, and can never be 100% like the day before.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

• No white sugar
    • No alcohol
    • No additional exercise

OTHER THINGS TO DO

LOW-GI VEGETABLES
    Artichokes
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Bamboo shoots
    Bean sprouts
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Leeks
    Lentils
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Rutabaga
    Squash
    Sugar snap peas
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Water chestnuts
    Watercress
    Zucchini
    Cabbage

SHOPPING LIST
    • 3 ½ cups brown rice
    • 1 bottle olive oil
    • Green tea
    • Epsom salt
    • Baking soda

• 4 lemons
    • 4 bananas
    • 56 oz frozen berries
    • 4 avocados

4 large onions 8 carrots

RECIPES
    • ½ cup frozen berries
    • ½ banana

• 1 large onion, chopped
    • 2 carrots, sliced
    • 2 celery stalks
    • ½ cup of cabbage
    • Sea salt, to taste

My first problem with something like this is just that I don't understand why people would want a plan telling them what they can and can't eat (unless those rules were actually connected to what you need to do to lose weight, which they aren't here). It seems infantilizing to me. Without an understanding of why certain foods and amounts are chosen, a lot of people tend to treat it like magic--like if you eat 8 oz of meat instead of 6 or blow off the lemon in the water, it won't work. At least this doesn't actually give you menus for each meal, but it's pretty close.

It also seems designed to create a really low calorie total, even though it's possible to follow the rules and eat more calories. As a result, it's going to mostly work by being a typical VLCD, not through any special formula created by Dr Oz that works better than other menus with the same calories.

Beyond that, there are lots of rules that make no sense:

(1) lemon water. Nothing wrong with this, but not necessary. I like plain water, so a diet that requires me to start the day with lemon water seems silly and the suggestion that this matters a whit to weight loss raises my suspicions.

(2) No caffeine and green tea. Similar issue. I think green tea can be good for you, but I generally don't care for it and do like coffee. There's nothing special about green tea or negative about coffee when it comes to weight loss.

(3) Breakfast smoothie--why? Personally I am much more satisfied if I eat my breakfast, and there's nothing all that special about the ingredients. In fact, I personally choose not to drink store-bought almond milk (not exactly "non-processed" for those on that kick). I'm also not a fan of rice protein powder, but whatever.

(4) Protein -- 6 oz of meat per day. Based on this and other elements it's trying to lower animal protein in the diet. Fine, whatever, but there's no real need to do this for any but ethical reasons (and then why go half-a**ed)? Certainly it has nothing to do with weight loss. In fact, I've increased my meat/dairy consumption as part of my weight loss plan, because it tends to make me feel more satisfied and I don't generally overeat on it and feel good eating this way. Mostly this seems like a personal choice and a dumb thing to dictate.

(5) half cup of brown rice and otherwise no carbs/starches -- this is ridiculous. Why can't I eat oatmeal or potatoes or sweet potatoes or whole grain bread or even white rice or pasta and lose weight if I count calories? Why are all these foods verboten. Answer--because he's creating a VLCD. Also, it's dumb to say no more carbs and include not only lots of vegetables (which are carbs) but even beans. The diet fails as a basic educational tool. At least the inclusion of the beans allows one to up the protein in what would otherwise be an overly low protein diet, except that assumes that people choose them, and people will lose more weight if they don't (since beans have far more calories than broccoli).

(6) Dairy -- see Protein, and also the limitation to 1 cup of 2% yogurt is just weird. Why not 0% yogurt if I like it better? Why does eating cottage cheese or having some milk screw up the diet plan? What about using whey protein instead of the rice protein? It's just kind of arbitrary.

(7) Detox broth -- why on earth?

(8) Vegetables -- great, I like veggies and think they are important, and I'm glad he includes beans. But the low GI think is kind of trendy silliness that he must know means little in that foods are eaten in combination and GI index is the effect if you eat it alone. That is, if I chow down on a plain potato it may well have a certain effect (although without a medical condition I am unsure why that matters). But almost no one does that. If I eat my potato with salmon and previously cooked it in some olive oil, it's GI index on its own is irrelevant.

(9) Elimination -- most of these are "why?" from a weight loss POV, but just because it's a pet peeve, why "white" sugar? What's so special about white sugar vs. other sorts. This is why people do idiotic things like replace sugar with "in the raw" or brown sugar or maple syrup or honey, etc. and think there's some health advantage. "Greek yogurt" -- basically regular with the water strained out, but regular yogurt is verboten.

(10) Others: detox bath, no eating between 8 and 8, no additional exercise -- all quackery.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi All.

My husband found this diet through Dr. Oz's website. We were thinking of trying it for the next 2 weeks.

Has anyone tried this diet? Any success with it?

WTF did I tell you people?

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/17/watch_dr_oz_attempt_to_defend_his_weight_loss_miracles_before_congress/