Should we teach kids about calories?

Options

Replies

• LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When my kids were young there were GO foods, WOAH foods, and STOP foods (green light, yellow light, red light) and we talked about the differences. You could have as much GO foods as you wanted, a little WAOH foods, & very little or no STOP foods & it worked well.

Now my 12 year old is in competitive sports & is starting to lift weights etc & we focus on getting plenty of protein, carbs & fat. He is starting to learn about macros too. My 8 year old just asked what a calorie was so that was an interesting discussion--she thought calories were bad but I explained they were energy & you need them.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's probably not good to let companies get a head start "teaching" kids.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Free choice meat, fruit, veg, dairy, nuts. All high glycemic carbs and processed foods are portion controlled. We encourage eating the starch last. We like our fats and don't shy from bacon, ghee, cream or olive oil. Starting young all kids in our family, male or female learn to cook. Starting young all kids in our family are exposed to fine dining. Vegetable eating and athletic participation is compulsory. Ice cream and dark chocolate are always in the house but processed snack food is rarely on hand.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Yes. We should ALSO teach them about manners, respect for themselves, one another, and all living things, actual real math (not common core), handwriting, proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    As someone who has struggled with disordered eating in the past, I'm going to say no. As yes, it could trigger an eating disorder. Cause one? No. But eating disorders are triggered easily. Making calories seem like the most important part of eating could definitely trigger one in a kid that might be more predisposed than another kid. After all, dieting is often a trigger for eating disorders and what do a lot of dieters have in common?

Calories.

I would say the most important thing to teach kids is that they should eat when they're hungry, stop when they're full, and stay active.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes.

One thing I keep saying to people as I learn more and more about food and weight loss on this journey is that I really really wish I'd been raised to understand serving sizes and portion control.

Obviously we shouldn't teach calories as a way to frighten or shame kids, or give the idea that there are good vs bad foods, but instead to explain how a body needs to be fuelled properly. Not too much and not too little.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't with young children (roughly 12 and younger) but I would with adolescents. However, I would teach it in conjunction with overall nutrition and health. I would want them to know the basics of what protein, fat and carbohydrates do for the body as well as understanding the importance of micro nutrients.

My kid is four and we talk about food in very general terms in conjunction with what they do to his body. He told a cashier at the supermarket, as we were paying for our groceries, that spinach and celery makes his poop softer. She was bagging said produce at the time. I've also told him that food gives him energy so he can play and go for walks with mom though I don't think the concept of calories is in any way necessary yet.

And now I've rambled. Have a good night, everyone.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My daugher is obese... so do i teach her about calories...sure i do... because with this type of knowledge she can make better choices... with knowledge comes power...

Now... this doesn't mean i would expect her to start counting them..... like i do.. but she should understand that with good choices comes rewards...

So... I use the Red, Yellow, Green system of what she should not eat (very high calories little or no nutritional value), should eat a little (high calories but healthy) or eat as much as you like... (low calories good or high nutritional value)

and yes i know you can become over weight eating healthy food if you eat too much... but I don't have to worry too much about my daughter eating too many carrots or lettuce... :laugh:

tumblr_n1nw3xAN4J1t4o62mo1_250.gif
  • teacherchana
    teacherchana Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think just modeling healthy food eating habits and exercising is the best way to teach children to appreciate healthy habits. Perhaps, letting them cook with you and prepare meals.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was always taught to eat to be "healthy." We always had fresh fruit and veggies cut up in the fridge for snacks and not a lot of junk food. So I was always able to eat whatever I wanted at home, but it was rarely any type of processed food. I enjoyed going out to eat with friends and such, but because of how we ate at home it was always a treat. I've continued to eat that way into adulthood and it has worked out really well for me.

That´s cool....a loooot more parents should do it this way!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Calories, yes. Nutrition, absolutely.

Along with, as others said, respect, self-discipline, morals, responsibility, etc. etc.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Of course, in due time!

I will teach my daughter what a kilowatt hour is, and won't be afraid she will become obsessed with electricity.
    I will teach my son economics, rates of interest, etc. without becoming afraid he'll become Ebenezeer Scrooge.
    I will teach them that the sun is a star, that it won't last forever, and that everyone they love will eventually die.

Knowledge is good. Like I said, in time.

When my kids eat ice cream, will I call them "hopelessly bound to be unloved fatsos"?
    If they fail to score a goal in soccer, will I yell "get out of the pitch, you loser"?

Of course not. Those are the type of things that actually can damage someone's psyche. Calories are merely teaching the right terminology, I will certainly follow up with basic nutrition and some age-appropriate cooking.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yes. And more important teach them basic nutrition. And about marketing manipulation.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. As long as you show them the basics of healthy eating and show by example (not having chips and chocolate in the house for example), I'm pretty sure they will turn out ok. Sometimes showing them the battlegrounds of calorie counting can lead to a frustrating life down the road. Like obsessively counting and not living...on the extreme end.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would put more focus on teaching them about macro and micro nutrients, and calories would be just a natural progression on the information like: if you run around all day, you need to eat more because body needs energy which comes from calories...etc
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting: No
    Healthy eating: Yes

Like others have said, there's a chance of eating disorders developing with calorie counting being introduced at a young age. I would have loved some advice on finding a middle ground between enjoying food and being gluttonous.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think it would be beneficial to teach teenagers to be calorie aware, which isn't so much that they should be taught to count calories, but that they should learn to know how much they should be eating, and how a particular food fits into their daily energy need.

I put on most of my weight in college, and during that time I had no idea that the cookie and energy drink combo I often ate had more calories in it than my dinner.

And as others said, this should be a continuation of overall teaching about healthy eating, micro and macro nutrients etc. etc.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Oh man, so THIS.

From the moment they are BORN (And in the case of shaping public opinion in the Third World concerning Breast milk not being as good as Formula) companies are throwing billions of dollars at some of our species' brightest people to manipulate humanity's basic evolutionary weaknesses into eating a certain way.

If you don't teach your kids how to eat right now, there are tons of people happy to do it for you and they're being paid a lot of money for knowing how to do it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Oh man, so THIS.

From the moment they are BORN (And in the case of shaping public opinion in the Third World concerning Breast milk not being as good as Formula) companies are throwing billions of dollars at some of our species' brightest people to manipulate humanity's basic evolutionary weaknesses into eating a certain way.

If you don't teach your kids how to eat right now, there are tons of people happy to do it for you and they're being paid a lot of money for knowing how to do it.

Maybe we should just teach them to say no, then. :wink: And teach them about glycemic index. Which hell, I'm over forty and just starting to learn about.

Leaving this here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/06/29/what-food-addiction-looks-like-in-your-brain/

"The study found that during this period, the high-glycemic-shake participants’ nucleus accumbens—a brain area integrally associated with addictive behaviors—showed intense activation. Dopamine activity in this brain area went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. In effect, the men were experiencing a flavor of the addictive high associated with other chemicals that we already know hook us hard. The brains of the men who drank the low-glycemic shakes didn’t show the same activation pattern."

I love that it's Forbes, not exactly run by a bunch of bleeding edge California health hippies.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Girls stop growing around 18, men around 21... they may stop growing in height before this, but there will still be some growing going on, e.g. young men's' shoulders getting wider, young women's pelvis getting wider, etc.

For this reason (and some others, but this is the main reason), I would not advise calorie counting for teenagers, unless it's under the advice of a paediatric dietitian or paediatrician, i.e. someone who's qualifed to know exactly how many extra calories to add on for growing. Growing takes calories, and the calorie calculators on this site and others like it are for adults and do not give extra calories for growth.

I think it is good to teach kids about calories, i.e. what a calorie is and give them a rough guide to how many they need and basic facts like that exercise burns additional calories so people who do a lot of exercise/physical need to eat more to fuel their exercise/activity, and all of that kind of thing, (but not actual calorie counting). There's no reason why teaching kids to be conscious of their food choices would inevitably lead to an eating disorder... what would concern me though is when a parent has a bad relationship with food, the child can then end up picking up that bad relationship, and that's where the problems are likely to arise. So in that case more care needs to be taken, and the parent needs to be aware of what's bad about their relationship with food so they don't end up projecting it all on the kid.

I think it's important not to classify food into two separate groups "healthy" and "unhealthy" and instead teach the child that you need to look at the whole diet to determine if the diet is healthy. Kids need to know they can enjoy what foods they want in moderation. I teach my kids that they can have restaurant food, sweets etc, sometimes but that it's not healthy to eat it to eat that kind of food all the time... I focus more on teaching them what protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals and fibre are, which foods contain them, and the importance of getting enough protein, or matching their fat and carbohydrate intake to their activity levels, and why their bodies need plenty of vitamins, minerals and fibre. I focus on this rather than on calories. They're too young to really get calories anyway, but when they're older I will teach it to them from a science point of view, i.e. calorie is a unit of energy and the calorie count on the food tells you how much energy there is in the food.

I think it's very important with kids to encourage physical activity. Food and calories is really only half of the equation, and kids in the past did not get fat, and none of them were counting calories, or even knew or cared what a calorie was. Until recently, kids stayed at a health weight through physical activity. It's only a problem nowadays because kids spend too long staring at screens, are driven everywhere, don't get enough time or opportunities to play outdoors, do sports, etc. I spend entire days outside as a child, only coming in for meals and even having to be dragged in at bedtime or if the weather got so severe that my mum would not let us stay outside (light rain etc we carried on playing outdoors and just got muddy.)

Calorie counting really should only be done by people who already have a weight problem (this goes for children and adults), because a lot of people can stay at a healthy weight just by being physically active and paying attention to eating a balanced diet. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For someone who's successfully maintiaining a healthy diet without calorie counting, it's not only pointless to count calories, it may cause problems (e.g. obsession, eating the wrong amount of calories because their body doesn't match the calorie calulator) where there wasn't any problems before......... The vast majority of kids don't need to count calories, and will stay thin (or get thin) with an active lifestyle and being careful to get a balanced diet..... for kids that are already obese and are not losing fat doing this, then yes do take them to a paediatrician and it may well be the case that a calorie controlled diet is what the child needs - under the supervision of the paediatrician/paediatric dietitian who will ensure that they're getting enough calories to keep growing normally, while losing the fat slowly. And of course teach kids about good nutrition and the importance of exercise.... just that IMO there's no point to having kids count calories or have a "calorie budget" unless they already have a weight problem and the paediatrician recommends calorie counting as a way to fix it.