Dressing alternatives

Options
13»

Replies

• hpaschetag
    hpaschetag Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes 0 calorie dressings. They have a ranch that is decent. It is obviously not the same as full calorie ranch, but it helps. Their sun dried tomato italian is pretty good.
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Salad dressings are super easy once you start making them. and they taste sooooo much better than what you buy in a bottle. Start with a good quality fresh olive oil.....then add an acid....that can be fresh squeezed citrus (and I sometimes add some wine if there's some in the fridge).....or a balsamic.

If I want to creamy it up...I use a small amount of some creamy cheese like soft feta or a bit of mascarpone or Boursin....or you can use some avocado or some Dijon mustard and honey. sometimes I also use some mashed fruit purée. Mango is wonderful. Then add some freshly ground pepper and salt . The flavour you choose depends on what is in your salad. Salads with fruit go well with cheese and wine.

Then the key after you make some delicious homemade dressing is don't use too much! make a quality delicious dressing and use it sparingly.....don't drown your salad. It literally just takes a few minutes to make a great dressing and once you get into the habit you'll find that you will begin experimenting.
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    Tzaziki
    Hummus
    Salsa mixed with hot sauce
    Balsamic vinegar mixed with salt, pepper, and oregano
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    How apportioned amounts? I like to use Kewpie Deep-Roasted Sesame dressing, which is 43 kcal for 10 ml... it's a lot, but a tablespoon goes a long way. Is there are particularly strong flavoured dressing you could use a little of?

... Sometimes I end up drinking the dressing because it's delicious, but normally it works.
  • tyildirim
    tyildirim Posts: 6
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes some really great dressing for about 50 calories per serving. I love the creamy yogurt ranch... Also Ken's is pretty great too!
  • abcreed
    abcreed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The Ken's light dressings are pretty good -- I absolutely love their light Caesar.

I make my own Ranch by mixing one container of light Daisy sour cream (I have tried the greek yogurt but the flavor is weird to me for some reason) and a packet of the Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix -- it makes a thick, dip-like consistency, so when I put it on my salad, I thin it down with some water before I pour it on my salad. It comes out to be ~45 cals for 2 tablespoons
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes some really great dressing for about 50 calories per serving. I love the creamy yogurt ranch... Also Ken's is pretty great too!

I second the Bolthouse Farms. Also, OP, check out www.skinnytaste.com. Gina has a ton of creamy style dressings on her website, including ranch :)
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful suggestions and taking the time to reply!!
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    I played around with salad dressing until I figured out a combo that I liked: balsamic vinegar, lime juice, fresh chopped garlic and ginger, cilantro. It's full of strong flavors, so you won't need to use much!
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I really like tomato sauce on my salads. No added sugar, though!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump because great ideas.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like dill, so I take a thick greek yogurt and add some dill to it. It is tasty. You can also add other spices to it too. That is for a creamier dressing. I also have used apple cider vinegar with some lime juice, salt and pepper. Red wine vinegar with some puree'd strawberries is really good too- especially if you put chopped up chicken and strawberries on your salad. I also add hemp hearts. Yummy!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    hands down, bolthouse farms yogurt dressings. love the salsa ranch on chicken, and the ceasar parmigiano is great. husband likes the ranch

http://bolthouse.com/products/dressings

looks like they have greek yogurt dressings now, haven't tried those.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I use straight up Balsamic Vinegar, low calorie.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all the great ideas!!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I played around with salad dressing until I figured out a combo that I liked: balsamic vinegar, lime juice, fresh chopped garlic and ginger, cilantro. It's full of strong flavors, so you won't need to use much!

^^^ Now that sounds good!!

Also, many good ideas in this thread. Never thought to use sour cream as a base, but I can see how that could work! Yogurt too. I see how both would work towards making something like a Ranch style dressing.

Speaking of Ranch, I use that to replace Mayonnaise in things like sandwiches and tuna. Works good and half the calories.

For salads, if I am making my own dressing, I keep it basic. A little olive oil, along with some basil, garlic, and vinegar, with some Romano cheese. Shake in a bottle. My kids like it too.

If worried about calories, such as in a restaurant, I've just been using a splash of vinegar and salt & pepper and no oil.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I typically make homemade BUT i agree with the Bolthouse farms yogurt dressings...esp the honey mustard, 45 cal for 2 T!

Here are a few of my favorite dressing recipes:

Vinegairette
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon white sugar

Honey Dijon
    1 cup olive oil mayo
    1/2 c dijon mustard
    1/2 c honey
    1/4 c olive oil
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground red pepper

Raspberry Vinegairette
    2 tablespoons red raspberry jam (with or without seeds)
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup walnut oil
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I try to make my own sometimes, but my favorite store-bought light dressings are:

Trader Joe's fat free balsamic vinaigrette (super good and only 25 cals per 2 tbsp! my go-to - I buy 3 bottles at a time.)
    Bolthouse Farms yogurt honey mustard
    Marie's yogurt caesar
    ken's light caesar

and for mexican-style or taco salads I use salsa mixed with a little light sour cream. my absolute favorite salsa is trader joe's smoky peach salsa - amazing and adds a nice light sweetness to the salad.

I don't like ranch on salads, but for a veggie dip I mix plain greek yogurt and ranch dressing powdered mix. I never use the whole ranch packet, I just add a little to taste.
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This hs really turned into a very informational listing for all of us seekers. Thanks to all contributing!
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nonfat plain kefir is my favorite!