Wine is killing my diet...I have to slow down! Am I alone?

Options

Replies

• Madhatton
    Madhatton Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Warm sunny day, beautiful flower filled pub garden. Beads of condensation running down my perfectly formed pint glass, inside, delicious crisp cider. It's cold on my tongue and I feel the instant refreshing wave wash over me. Before you know it, it's gone. I'll have another please.

Then I go to log....

Cider strongbow (1 pint ) - 239 kcal

Warrrrrrggggghhhhhhh
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm similar to most of you on this thread; I like a glass after work and then some on the weekends but am trying to cut down to jut weekends. Would love to be part of the 'weekends only' group :-)
  • AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I used to drink a glass or 2 of red wine every night while I was cooking or after dinner...many times it would end up being the whole bottle. I have cut back quite a bit since I started watching my calories, and in general only drink on the weekends now. I am losing weight much more easily now that I am not drinking my calories all week, but some nights I definitely miss it!
  • tanyaj2014
    tanyaj2014 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to buy a bottle of wine and just drink the whole lot in one evening, would have maybe one or two bottles a week. I stopped buying it all together when I started MFP, and I don't miss it at all. Plus i have more money to spend on nice things :-D x
  • new58
    new58 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem. Friend suggested I do half and half with soda water...not bad and I still get to have a drink.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/understand-your-drinking/unit-calculator this is the webpage that I found and when I typed in what I drink (I can drink like a fish) I just didn't like it.

Thank you for this link to a brilliant site. Very sobering (pun intended)! I'll be sharing it with my MFP pals.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    This is going to make me sound a bit sad but....

I really enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner Years ago I started adding a bit of water to my red wine to make a glass go further (I know I know - the purists are screaming at me right now). Now, after doing this for years I cannot drink red wine neat - it's just too strong. If I am at a restaurant I have to ask for a jug of plain water to add to my glass :blushing: I decide each day - based upon my pre-logged meals, how much I am allowed for the evening - usually I plan 150 or 175ml. I measure that into a little jug and put the bottle away and enjoy my chosen amount guilt free! If I cannot fit it into to my numbers I don't have any - 1 or 2 X a week I am alcohol free.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red wine (6-8 oz) most nights with my dinner. It is part of my calorie allowance and has not stopped me from losing weight, and keeps me sane. However, if drinking wine caused me to lose control of my eating, or if I wasn't able to have just one glass, I'd have to cut it out.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    On some days I feel like I might as well drink my diet! 1-3 glasses add up, I am stuck at the same weight, even though I have been a "good girl".

Time to face the music. My wine intake kills my diet. I read up on it and didn't like what I read. Bellyfat - slow Metabolism - not burning fat after alcohol. Just a few hints telling me I have to change something.

So...Ladies and Gentlemen, I will slow down drinking to weekends only and then I will not go overboard anymore (meaning not more than 1-2 glasses).

Wondering if somebody wants to join me. I am not the only one enjoying a glass of wine after a crazy day right? OK wine, beer, drinks...is anybody having the same problem and is willing to change the routine ???

Like a "weekend's only" club :-)

INORITE?

1656365_10151914523180423_327207190_n.jpg

HA!! Absolutely LOVE IT!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm with you too. Only my killer is beer. Good ol' Coors Light. I'm trying to also join the band wagon of not drinking during the week. Its hard though since hubby drinks a few each night also, but he is a skinny stick man :( Obviously our metabolisms are wayyyy different LOL Cheers to all of trying to make a change! Go away belly fat!!
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I need to own up and join the 'Weekends Club'!

I had a few glasses of Chardonnay last night followed by (don't hate me) take away pizza, then thought "Ouh ohh..., this has got to STOP!"

Now the bank holidays have gone I have no excuse for being an alcoholic dump truck!
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    Yes. I have a drink almost every night. Eventually the whiskey sours or two glasses of wine add up.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a diet killer. I try to avoid it but there are times I also indulge.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I keep deciding to knock it on the head. But last night for example the sun was shining so I went to pub after work and had 2 pints and a glass of wine, then home to eat crisps before I made dinner. If only it had been raining, I would have gone straight home for my stir fry and cut out the bevvy and crisps. :embarassed:
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was totally with you there for a while- although my treat wasn't wine- it was whisky. I totally love Scotch and even though I'd only limit it to 1 a night, it was starting to become every night.

I actually haven't had anything for about 2 weeks now (weekends included), and I have to say I've had mixed results. Less belly fat, no movement on the scales, and generally more tired than usual (??)

But hey, even if I don't see ANY progress, at least I'm saving money, right?
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I found this post because I just decided to do the same. I don't drink often but when I do...I almost always gain weight. My inhibitions about food go away. I eat 3x as many calories as I would if I hadn't had a sip. I bought a bottle of wine yesterday and it is going to last me the next 10 days. I get to have 1 glass every few days. My food needs to be counted out before I have a sip!!!
  • Bikerchick68
    Bikerchick68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too - I'm in.

Such a common problem. Don't worry, you are not a mad person, nor are you a bad person.
  • Creiddylad
    Creiddylad Posts: 27
    Options
    I used to have a serious wine habit and by that I mean three sometimes four bottles a week! I could do a bottle and a half in a night no problem (even thought I'd feel like crap the next day), and though I didn't drink every day - I would drink two/three times a week and it was never a glass, but always a bottle and maybe a bit more. I was stuck in this sort of cycle of doing that. Sometimes I could get it down to just once a week - getting a couple of bottles in for the weekend, but I would always end up slipping back to drinking more frequently. Any bit of work stress - I'd get a bottle of wine for the evening. Cooking a nice dinner - of course it has to have a bottle of wine to go with it and so on. Sunny day, reading a book in the garden - of course, a bottle of wine alongside is a must. it was an integral part of my life.

I knew I had to do something about it and on 31st December 2013 I packed up. Haven't touched a drop since and to be honest it has been easy. Much, much easier than I would ever have imagined. I don't miss it at all, and as everything I've read online has been of the 'I gave up drinking and lost pounds' variety, I assumed the weight would drop off me also.

in fact the reverse has happened. I have gained 15lbs since I gave up drinking - that's 3lb a month approximately, because what I have done is basically substituted one indulgence for another. Despite never having much of a sweet tooth, I developed a taste for cake, chocolate and sweets probably in an effort to compensate for all the sugar I was getting from wine, and the weight has piled on.

I am now heavier than I have ever been in my life, which is hugely disappointing given that I have managed to kick the booze entirely.

If you are able to moderate your drinking and just have an occasional glass then i certainly think that you can incorporate wine into a weight loss programme. If however, you are a greedy guzzler like me, then it's probably better gone entirely. However, be careful not to do what I did and stuff your face with other rubbish that has even more calories and sugar than I ever got from drinking wine.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My best friend was a bottle of wine a day and maybe even a glass of port also on some days eeek!

But now I keep to diet soft drinks during the week and buy those tiny 1 glass bottle of wine bottles so I can have a glass or two over at the weekend without going overboard

This has saved me from so many hangovers, money, weight gain and ill health!
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im curious about the iced pomegrante green tea, is that a mix ?