elliptical??

Options
So I made my hubby buy an elliptical for me a few months ago
Recently i've had a lot of people tell me that the elliptical doesn't help with losing belly fat almost at all
Just that it helps the leg muscles....
Is this true??? Just curious let me know.. Thanks!

Replies

• urmyeffinstar
    urmyeffinstar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds using an elliptical, so maybe it doesn't help some people lose belly fat but it helped me.
  • KayakDeb
    Options
    The only way to lose belly fat is to lose weight. No exercise can spot reduce (although toned muscles can help hold things in better....LOL!) An elliptical is a great, no-impact way to burn calories - keep at it!!
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was told you cant lose belly with out working out everything else. So i cant see how its a bad thing... I LOVE THE ELIPTICAL.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    its burns calories..therefore it must burn fat..if it come off your belly depends on your genes... i have lost three inches of my waist..and i dont think it was from the weight training...also be sure to engage your abs when using the machine, try to keep above your belt still and sqeeze your abs
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have one love it.but yes ,great for the legs and butt great calorie burn
    lost weight but also have to do my abs workout.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When you do cardio you burn fat from your whole body. So, using an elliptical will help you burn fat, which means you'll burn belly fat.

It won't necessarily tone your belly, but if you try to imagine pulling your navel to your spine, you'll work your transverse abdominal muscles which will give you a flatter tummy. I definitely notice how much I work my abs when I'm on an elliptical or arc trainer just trying to keep my balance!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    to burn fat you have to do cardio no way around that, the elliptical is an effective way to get in your cardio. If you want to concentrate on your belly then do the elliptical AND ab workouts! So no it is not true that it won't help.... keep burning that fat! :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    A lot of the definition of you abs comes from what you eat. Whoever told you it doesn't burn things off your stomach is ridiculous. You can't spot train ANYTHING so you need to do cardio.....which is what the elliptical is.

Were talking two different things here....cardio and weight training.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It burns fat pretty fast as you're using the largest muscle group in your body. You can't "spot train", your body decides when to let go of fat in those places.:smile:
  • toniace1
    Options
    arent there all different types of ellipticals? I've seen some people work out on the ellipticals that are designed to tone your legs and butt, and they bounce the entire time--WRONG!! if you bounce on the elliptical, you're not doing it right...if you do it right, its REALLY hard! back to your question: i've heard lots of trainers say that cardio is the only thing that reduces belly fat, so if you get a good cardio workout on the elliptical (no bouncing) then you should be able to lose weight and belly fat, right?
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    proud of all these MFP posters here we really know our stuff!! This is one of few threads that have just about the same answer! :laugh: Keep up that cardio everyone!! :drinker:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    NO! The elliptical is a CARDIO machine which means it's good for strengthening your heart and getting your heart rate up which BURNS FAT, aka: helps you lose weight. But yes, you'll see a difference in your bum & legs.