Variations of Deadlifts - Please Explain

Options
I'm doing 5x5, so I do my deadlifts like this:

deadlift-315-o.gif

I'm interested in knowing the difference between that, and a stiff-legged deadlift.

do-you-even-deadlift.gif

Specifically, I'd assume you'd have to use less weight to do a stiff-legged deadlift, right? Also, do they work different muscles? Which is the more effective of the two? Pros and cons?

Any information would be great.

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Can't stop watching the 2nd one.......................

Anyway, the conventional deadlift is going to use more hip and knee extension, the SLDL is primarily a lower back and hamstring movement. They are both good movements, but the deadlift is going to allow more weight and more muscles are involved in the lift.
    By the way, their head movements are terrrible in these don't mimic that form.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    both have their ups and downs
    standard deads work the legs a bit more, specifically the hamstrings and calves

romanian deadlifts focus more on the back and glutes (which are both worked in standard deads as well)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    my thoughts exactly
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    LoL, I am at work so the second image is blocked. must be missing something good :tongue:
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is the 2nd one is alot more fun to watch. LOL! Seriously though, go with whats the most comfortable.....their are other variations such as the Sumo that is supposed to be better for women just getting started.....definitely a fantastic all around exercise-the deadlift is amazing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Somehow I pull more weight doing the Romanian deadlift. I am not sure why.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see second image at home. You guys have me curious!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do both. One day a week I do regular deadlifts and front squats. Another day I do back squats and stiff legged deadlifts. I am lighter for front squats than regular squats and lighter for the stiff legged deads than the regular deadlifts. If you are only going to do one I would go for regular deadlifts as it hits up more muscles.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Can you elaborate on the guy's head movements please?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

He is over-exaggerating "looking up"
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    oh my gosh, even i cant stop watching the second image. Why is she doing them sooo slooooooooooooow haha!

As for the deadlifts, I've been doing both. Day 2 workout has Stiff Leg Deadlifts, and Day 4 has Standard Deadlift. From my research the Stiff Leg works your hamstrings a bit more. I do the same weight on them so far!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, IN! I need this thread.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    oh my gosh, even i cant stop watching the second image. Why is she doing them sooo slooooooooooooow haha!

As for the deadlifts, I've been doing both. Day 2 workout has Stiff Leg Deadlifts, and Day 4 has Standard Deadlift. From my research the Stiff Leg works your hamstrings a bit more. I do the same weight on them so far!

Actually slow is good. It really works the body better to do it slow and in good form. However, do her sneakers have heels or is it my imagination?

BTW I saw a chick with a teeny tiny strappy tank and tiny shorts in the weight area yesterday at Golds. My first. It was funny.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5, so I do my deadlifts like this:

deadlift-315-o.gif

I'm interested in knowing the difference between that, and a stiff-legged deadlift.

do-you-even-deadlift.gif

Specifically, I'd assume you'd have to use less weight to do a stiff-legged deadlift, right? Also, do they work different muscles? Which is the more effective of the two? Pros and cons?

Any information would be great.

I think his head is too high. I could be wrong though.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    my thoughts exactly

I love deadlifts.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Dead Lift 1.
    Area: Lower Body
    Primary muscles: quads, hamstrings, gluteus maximus, erector spinae.

Straight Legged Dead Lift (RDL) 2.
    Area: Back
    Primary muscles: flexion at the elbow joint (so the brachi group), Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major, Rhomboid, Trapezius III-adduction of scapula.

the movement is to keep back flat and parallel to the floor.

differance; the emphasis of muscles.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It seems that a number of people are talking about RDLs and stiff legged deadlifts as the same thing. They're really not the same exercise. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It seems that a number of people are talking about RDLs and stiff legged deadlifts as the same thing. They're really not the same exercise. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

Thank you for this link. It was helpful. The SLDLs are what I have been doing lately, but I used to do only standard ones. I need to start switching it up a bit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

thank you
    These are the variations I can think of currently- this covers the most common I think (I'm only one cup of coffee in so I could be wrong)

> traditional
    > sumo
    > deficit
    > stiff leff
    > romanian
    > pause
    > DL from boxes/racks/rails or rack pulls
    > single leg
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

He is over-exaggerating "looking up"
    \

Ah. I see.
    Thanks.