Dr. Oz Grilled by Senate

I'm glad it's finally happening. The US Senate is bringing big attention to the fact that there is no miracle way to lose weight and there is no scientific evidence behind anything Dr. Oz sells or pitches.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health/senate-grills-dr-oz/
"The scientific community is almost monolithic against you in terms of the efficacy of the three products you called 'miracles,'" said McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. She said she was discouraged by the "false hope" his rhetoric gives viewers and questioned his role, "intentional or not, in perpetuating these scams."

"I don't get why you need to say this stuff when you know it's not true. When you have this amazing megaphone, why would you cheapen your show?... With power comes a great deal of responsibility."

Bottom line -- don't believe everything you see. Do your homework online and make sure any claim about a weight loss product is backed up by scientific evidence.

Replies

• 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    I thought it was interesting that he didn't want to come right out and say, "Nope, none of these items work." But eventually was forced to say that although he recommends the items to family and fans, there is no scientific evidence that they work. I'm glad that I have never used a Dr. Oz-endorsed item. But I do feel bad for people who may have sunk a lot of time and money into products that don't work. What I think does work is the change in their diet or exercise that may have occurred while taking the product which they likely attributed to the the pill or drink, etc.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    It's about time. It's shameful what he does on that show.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    NinjaUnicornPirate Posts: 43 Member
    It's about time. It's shameful what he does on that show.

I agree. But I think the best thing about these proceedings is the light being shone on the sham that is diet pills and weight loss "miracle" products.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Never actually seen the show but ALWAYS get the feelin' that this guy tends to promote a quick fix for absolutely EVERYTHING.We all know that the only way to loose weight is to eat less and move more end of story and ABSOLUTELY no amount of green tea,strawberry (cucumber, lemon, lime, apple, cranberry etc etc) infused water or raspberry ketones will make you loose amazing amounts of weight without employing the eat less move more strategy as well.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    Never actually seen the show but ALWAYS get the feelin' that this guy tends to promote a quick fix for absolutely EVERYTHING.We all know that the only way to loose weight is to eat less and move more end of story and ABSOLUTELY no amount of green tea,strawberry (cucumber, lemon, lime, apple, cranberry etc etc) infused water or raspberry ketones will make you loose amazing amounts of weight without employing the eat less move more strategy as well.

Watched it for about 10 minutes once. It's like watching an infomercial.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Quack, quack. Getting what he deserves. Finally.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    I was wondering how long it would take to have a thread on this... I'm sure Oprah is proud of this debacle.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    I'm glad it's finally happening. The US Senate is bringing big attention to the fact that there is no miracle way to lose weight and there is no scientific evidence behind anything Dr. Oz sells or pitches.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health/senate-grills-dr-oz/
    "The scientific community is almost monolithic against you in terms of the efficacy of the three products you called 'miracles,'" said McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat. She said she was discouraged by the "false hope" his rhetoric gives viewers and questioned his role, "intentional or not, in perpetuating these scams."

"I don't get why you need to say this stuff when you know it's not true. When you have this amazing megaphone, why would you cheapen your show?... With power comes a great deal of responsibility."

Bottom line -- don't believe everything you see. Do your homework online and make sure any claim about a weight loss product is backed up by scientific evidence.

How are we not talking about the fact that the US Senate quoted Spider-Man? Isn't that way bigger news than Dr. Oz being a snake oil hawking quack?
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Beautiful.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

How are we not talking about the fact that the US Senate quoted Spider-Man? Isn't that way bigger news than Dr. Oz being a snake oil hawking quack?

Well, considering this is a fitness website and people post everyday asking about Dr. Oz products and diets...no, not in this forum titled "General Diet and Weight Loss Help".
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member

Well, considering this is a fitness website and people post everyday asking about Dr. Oz products and diets...no, not in this forum titled "General Diet and Weight Loss Help".

You mean this isn't the Mavel-centric International Legislative Discussion Boards?!

Damn you autocorrect!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

You mean this isn't the Mavel-centric International Legislative Discussion Boards?!

Damn you autocorrect!!

No, that's two forums down and to the left.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    BUT IT WORKED FOR ME!!!

Honestly. I haven't been on Myfitnesspal in ages and might have just come back because I wanted to eat popcorn and watch people defend him.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate

Damn you autocorrect!!

No, that's two forums down and to the left.

Right next to the "hot or not" board