Increasing cals but don't want to weigh myself help!

Options
I'm about 3 weeks in maintenance and have been upping my calories 5% each week, but here's the thing. I haven't even weighed myself in 6 months, I just know I'm happy with my measurements, how my clothes fit and the way I look in the mirror. I feel that I have to start weighing though because It will affect the amount of cals I add each week. Like some weeks I might be able to add more/less cals depending on if I lost or gained weight. I was thinking of starting to weight once a week but I'm one of those people where the number really makes or breaks my day mentally, and its not healthy. Should I continue to just measure myself? Is that really accurate enough?

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If it was accurate enough for your weightloss stage, why would it not be accurate enough for maintenance? Just play around with your calorie intake and measure yourself regularly.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm about 3 weeks in maintenance and have been upping my calories 5% each week, but here's the thing. I haven't even weighed myself in 6 months, I just know I'm happy with my measurements, how my clothes fit and the way I look in the mirror. I feel that I have to start weighing though because It will affect the amount of cals I add each week. Like some weeks I might be able to add more/less cals depending on if I lost or gained weight. I was thinking of starting to weight once a week but I'm one of those people where the number really makes or breaks my day mentally, and its not healthy. Should I continue to just measure myself? Is that really accurate enough?

I wouldn't be adding so much each week ... add a bit and see how it works for you for 4-5 weeks... if your still losing add more.

Your talking about body composition... it's what really matters, how you feel about yourself and the way you look... a number doesn't represent how you look in the mirror...IF anything you should be talking to a professional about your dependency to the number on a scale.

1 person can weight 150lbs and wear a size 32and another can weigh 185lbs and wear a size 30 ... just saying it's not about how much you weigh.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Does the number on the scale really matter? If not forget about it. I haven't weighed myself in forever, my clothes still fit and I'm happy the way I am. That's all that matters. Keep increasing slightly until you start feeling your clothes get tighter, that's when you'll know when you've gone over.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    ^ this.

if your goal is not to gain muscle, and you are content with how you look, then weighing is irrelevant. i recommend you not weigh yuorself because water weight will be a factor that contributes to sporadic increases/decreases