Alternative to my sugar loaded morning coffees?

Options
So after some thought I have figured out that a lot and I mean a LOT of my calorie intake happens in the mornings with my coffee's. I have a couple of cups at home with 2-3 sugars in each then usually hit up Tim Horton's for a medium Triple Triple, which is going to be halted now that I am aware that there is over 300 calories in each cup and the carbs are insane also. My question is what could I drink instead that would be naturally sweet but not kill me calorie/carb wise.

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my coffee or creamer... I just adjust to it and still get plenty of food LOL It's my mentality of keeping something normal when so much else changed :)

I don't really miss anything else and if I want it, I will eat it and adjust but coffee, creamer, starbucks etc.. nope, me giving it up won't ever happen so I am not going to stress over that :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Black coffee with a bit of unweetened almond milk and splenda? I think 8oz of almond milk is roughly 30 calories, and splenda should be no more than 5 calories per packet.

Personally, I prefer to drink my coffee black. It's a lot easier throwing in a kcup while I am programming my pump for breakfast, grabbing it, and running out the door.
  • MSLUC
    MSLUC Posts: 30
    Options
    Substitute honey for sugar. 1/2 tsp is as sweet as the sugar you now use.
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you must have the fancy coffee drinks. Try to do a Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk Latte with Sugar Free syrup. Not sure how many chains are going to carry almond milk, but you can tend to find it in local privately owned coffee shops.

It will likely be less than 100 calories. 8oz Unsweet Vanilla Almond Milk =30cal , Sugar Free Syrup = 0cal, The Espresso is only about 10 cal.

If I go to a fancy coffee place, that typically satisfies my sweet tooth.

Personally I prefer Splenda, and unsweetened Almond milk in regular coffee. But I also just like the taste of coffee as it is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Black coffee with a bit of unweetened almond milk and splenda? I think 8oz of almond milk is roughly 30 calories, and splenda should be no more than 5 calories per packet.

Personally, I prefer to drink my coffee black. It's a lot easier throwing in a kcup while I am programming my pump for breakfast, grabbing it, and running out the door.

This^

Just learn to "step down" the sweetener. Stevia is an alternative to Splenda....it's supposed to be natural.

A flavored coffee may give you what you're looking for with less sweetener. There really are no naturally sweet - low calorie foods.....I don't think they exist.
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just kept trying black coffee and it finally stuck. Now anything sweet in my coffee I can't stand.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just brew my own coffee at home, and flavor it with 2 packets of Splenda and 1 teaspoon of non-dairy creamer. I'm not a morning person, so I have to have my morning coffee and some me time before I'm ready to face the day. I sometimes drink coffee black, and sometimes use real creamer and honey or sugar for a change of pace. It's just whatever suits my mood at the time. I pretty well know what will work to suit my tastes, so I go from there.

Another thread on MFP also talked about mixing protein powder into coffee. I did some experimenting and made my own concoction that reminds me of a Frappuccino. I fill a blender bottle with ice, fill quarter to half with coffee, add 2 scoops of chocolate or vanilla protein powder, shake the bottle vigorously, add more ice and coffee, and shake vigorously once more. That works as a quick fix for me anyway. You just have to use some imagination and experiment with what you like.
  • decayng
    decayng Posts: 3
    Options
    Iced/hot quad-shot Americano with 8 pumps sugar free vanilla. The sugar free will sweeten it up. There isn't any cream or milk so the calories on this drink are trivial and it's AMAZING.
  • aevonvett
    aevonvett Posts: 36 Member
    Options

A flavored coffee may give you what you're looking for with less sweetener. There really are no naturally sweet - low calorie foods.....I don't think they exist.

Agreed.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. You'd have to pry my sugar-loaded coffee outta my cold dead hands!!!

:drinker:
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I actually started just reducing my sugar until I don't need it any longer. Like instead of a triple triple do double double then reduce again the next week. I still have to have my creamers but I no longer need the sugar.

If you like iced coffee then the protein mix is a great idea. :happy:
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What I did was switch to a Sugar free version of my favorite sweetened creamer, and skip the regular sugar all together and I have ZERO guilt about it~! LOL!:drinker:
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My coffee has a little real cream, a dab of coconut oil and cinnamon.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to put sugar in my coffee, but over time I grew to like my coffee black and now anything sweet in it tastes absolutely awful. I'm not sure that would be the case for everyone, but maybe even decreasing the amount of sugar over time or, as others have suggested, swap out sugar for stevia/splenda?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Reduce the sugar by half a teaspoon at a time you will get used to it, I used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar years ago it took me 2 months to bin the sugar.

I still have a latte in the morning but make it at home so I know how much milk etc is going into it, yes my coffee machine was £150 but my coffee addiction was costing me around £50 a month so its saving me money.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Agree with the suggestion to slowly step down how sweet you take your coffee. My routine for my home-made coffee is 1 truvia or splenda packet and 1/4 cup of vanilla or plain almond milk. I drink my second cup black.

Occasionally I'll get a plain latte with nonfat milk (just coffee + steamed skim milk)

Order coffee drinks "skinny" or with nonfat milk.

I avoid flavored coffee grounds like the plague though, they smell good but they taste vile to me.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. You'd have to pry my sugar-loaded coffee outta my cold dead hands!!!

:drinker:

truth... lol I have tried coffee many different ways and I HATE it black ... so it just wasn't realistic for me to give up so I am not :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Everyone has posted a lot of great suggestions!....from reducing sugar and milk, using artificial sweetners or drinking it black. I love my coffee too....with cream and sugar (although I don't over indulge in the cream and sugar, my average cup of coffee is about 80 cals). I opted for drinking my coffee the way I love it but in moderation. One or two cups a day (80 cals each) or sometimes I'll treat myself to a latte. Moderation is a great exercise in self-discipline. You learn how to enjoy foods (or coffee;) you love with out bingeing on them.