Egg Yolks

wannakimmy
wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
I see a lot of people here eating a lot of egg whites... what do you all do with the yolks?

Total curiosity here, nothing more lol

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    I eat the entire egg, including the yolk. If I only have the whites, it's because I am out for breakfast and know that my omelette is being cooked in butter so I want to do what I can to make it a little less caloric.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I would imagine if you want to add protein and limit fat the whites come in handy. Example, if you need some extra protein for the day but you have already hit your fat target.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    I eat them if they're scrambled...can't do over easy or hardboiled yolks BLECH!

That's where the nutrients and HEALTHY fats are plus 1/2 the protein. Eat them.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    We eat the whole egg goodness. The yolks are where most of the nutrition is at.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    I see a lot of people here eating a lot of egg whites... what do you all do with the yolks?

Total curiosity here, nothing more lol

If you have the patience, you can make mayonaise with the yolks. It's easy but you have to have the patience and the right amount of oil.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    I have a thing where I LOVE egg whites and I hate the yolks... They just gross me out... So we give them to our dog and she LOVES them and has a nice shiny coat of fur! :)
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    I usually toss them if I'm making an egg white scramble. Or I'll use 1 yolk for every 3 whites. Just depends on how I feel that day.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Lemon curd!

However, I think it's dumb to not eat the whole egg. So when I DO make lemon curd, I then make meringues with the whites. Hehehehehe.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Lemon curd!

However, I think it's dumb to not eat the whole egg. So when I DO make lemon curd, I then make meringues with the whites. Hehehehehe.

I like you!
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    I always eat the whole egg, and I hate the thought of all those lovely yolks being chucked away :( However on the rare occasion when I have separated eggs, I make meringues, angel cake or macaroons with the whites (or add them to a quiche). With the yolks, I make baked custard or regular 'proper' custard to top desserts or turn into ice cream. Yum!

None of the above stuff is particularly healthy, though...
  • meganreinsch
    meganreinsch Posts: 30 Member
    You can buy egg whites in a cartoon. My favorite is organic free run egg whites. They may not be as natural as cracking open an egg but very practical and then your not having to waste or decide what to do with the yolks. I eat about 1/4 cup to 1/2 of egg whites with one actual egg every morning. If I bought actual eggs I'd be wasting a lot of yolks :)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    I usually just toss the yolk. Most mornings I eat 2 egg whites and a whole egg. My mother hates the fact that I throw away yolks when she could make "a perfectly good hollandaise sauce with those". Oh well :smile:
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    I have a thing where I LOVE egg whites and I hate the yolks... They just gross me out... So we give them to our dog and she LOVES them and has a nice shiny coat of fur! :)

Same here. Our dogs love the yolks. They sit around and wait for me to make my breakfast. :laugh:
  • topazeyez
    topazeyez Posts: 5 Member
    I usually only eat the egg whites simply for the calorie reduction. Sometimes I will have 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    For all you tossing your yolks--if you have a dog, give them the yolks. Mine love em.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I usually only eat the egg whites simply for the calorie reduction. Sometimes I will have 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white.

Eggs aren't exactly high in calories for the nutrition the whole egg packs.

This is what I mean about people just being too hung up on calories alone. You cause your body to miss out on vital nutrients it needs to function optimally.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Lemon curd!

Zabaione or eggnog
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    I eat them. Whoever started this egg white only nonsense should be shot.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I eat the entire egg, including the yolk. If I only have the whites, it's because I am out for breakfast and know that my omelette is being cooked in butter so I want to do what I can to make it a little less caloric.
    Where do you find restaurants that actually cook with/use real butter?? :tongue: Many places use some buttery flavored oil or something - even on the toast! Gimme real butter any day!

Oh, and I eat the whole egg. If I have a recipe that calls for just whites, I save the yolks and add them to my eggs for breakfast the next day! As someone else said - the calories in eggs aren't all that high, and the nutrition is awesome - and worth it, in my opinion. I enjoyed my 3 egg breakfast this morning!
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    I also always eat the yolks.

I mean, eggs are pretty darn low calorie to begin with--I've never understood the point of trying to reduce the calories (and nutrition) even more?