Not loosing weight on Insanity

Options
Hey - looking for some input.

I have been doing insanity now for around 30days having not missed a workout yet.

The calorie advice in the guide calculates I should be eating around 2400 calories per day - which some days (if I am being honest) I have really struggled to meet whilst maintaining a good carb v protein v fat ratio. For the most part I have been above 2100 calories. Given that each workout will burn in the region of 400-650 calories I feel I am doing well.

When I first started insanity I dropped around 3lbs within a few days which is great, but I have since gain those 3lb back weight isn't the major issue, but I have body fat scales (fairly cheap ones but not bad) and my body fat has remained around 21.6% the whole time. I would LOVE to get my body fat down to around 15-17% which I feel would be a massive achievement.

I lost around 5 stone 2 years back (and kept all that weight off) but I have really struggled to shift the last bit of "fat" around my gut and this is actually the second time I have done insanity where last time (last year) I felt I had similar poor results. I know that weight loss/fitness is 80% diet...however I am pretty much always eating well and only enjoy the odd snack here and there.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health and fitness and doesn't always mean weight loss...

Your diary is closed so it's hard to say for sure but...

do you use a kitchen scale to weight solids? measure liquids? do you log everything? accurately using correct entries?

That being said...it could be water weight from the exercise...and I wouldn't trust those scales for measuring BF%....
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories for weight loss, its that simple. The guide is exactly that, a guide and 2100 calories is what I would eat normally to maintain. I recommend you drop that to 1700-1800cals.

I lost 1.5 stone doing Insanity by eating around that mark plus having a cheat night every Friday, so it definitely does work!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I personally don't agree with this - if I don't exercise I don't lose weight, although diet is the primary thing. I think exercise is for health and fitness IF you eat back your exercise calories (which is pointless from a weight loss perspective when you think about it!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I personally don't agree with this - if I don't exercise I don't lose weight, although diet is the primary thing. I think exercise is for health and fitness IF you eat back your exercise calories (which is pointless from a weight loss perspective when you think about it!)

It doesn't matter how much you exercise if you are not in a caloric deficit...you won't lose weight.

As for eating back exercise calories it depends on which method you follow....if your calorie deficit is based on the NEAT Method than you should eat at least half of them back or you chance under eating. If you follow TDEE method that's a different story.

For example if you are eating 1380 calories (which is where I started using NEAT) and I exercise away 280 of those calories I am netting 1100 calories...which is not enough to continue with the workouts the next day...I know this is a fact for me...could I still do exercise...sure but I would feel like crap after it was done and would be even more lethargic for the next one.

Eating back exercise calories is not pointless from a weight loss perspective...as mentioned it all depends on which method you are following.

If you personally cannot lose weight without exercise than you are eating more than you think.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ....... I know that weight loss/fitness is 80% diet...
    You said it.
    :smile:

Either revisit your food logging to ensure accuracy or adjust your calorie goal.
  • martyn2007
    martyn2007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscles are made in the gym, your body is made in the kitchen
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    Also look at your macros again. Insanity recommends 40/40/20 (carb/protein/fat). I seem to do much better with around 30/45/25 ratio.
    I would also suggest you adjust your calories down a bit. Maybe add BCAA before your workout? I just started that, so I'm not sure how it will do, but it seems to aid with fat burn and muscle recovery.

I just started month 2 of Insanity btw, so we are at similar places.
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's your nutrition.. but that's what everyone else already said. lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Please explain why it's pointless from a weight loss standpoint.

If user A) has a goal of 2000 calories, eats 2000 and is in a 500 cal deficit

If user B) has a goal of 2000 calories, burns off 500, eats 2500 for a net of 2000 and is in a 500 cal deficit.

Why would user A not lose like user B would. They're both meeting their goal and user B isn't under eating by not eating back cals.