Is there any theory/science behind loosing inches?

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    A nurse who takes measurements all day told me almost NO ONE has a 24" waist.

My beanpole 14 y/o has a 26" waist and she's 108lbs., 5'5" and naturally small waisted w/a long torso. There is no way hers will ever be smaller, barring anorexia.

Even 28" is a tiny waist. I agree that the goal sounds a little ED.

I guess it really depends...I belong to a culture group where women are genetically smaller framed. A few people I know, with 5'5 -5'7 indeed has 56 cm - 63cm waist. Comparing to them, I am like elephant.
  • albayin
    Options
    and the scary thing is these women still think they could lose a bit more weight and size...
    :huh:
  • albayin
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders. How did the OP come up with a 25" waist?
    That said I had a 24" waist in high school. However, I weighed 98 lbs, ran long distance, did tons of aerobics classes and lifted weights. I'm also fine boned and 5'1".

Saw a documentary the other day on the US size 0. Apparently the model figure to aim for is a 23 inch waist. :noway:

Rumor has it that Marilyn Monroe had like 23 inch waist? but looking at all the pictures, I am not convinced...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The science is to eat correctly so the weight loss is fat loss only. It can be done although it is very tricky and everyone is different.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    I typically lose inches when taking a very cold shower or swimming in a cold pool. Oh wait! err, I mean....never mind.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders. How did the OP come up with a 25" waist?
    That said I had a 24" waist in high school. However, I weighed 98 lbs, ran long distance, did tons of aerobics classes and lifted weights. I'm also fine boned and 5'1".

Saw a documentary the other day on the US size 0. Apparently the model figure to aim for is a 23 inch waist. :noway:

Rumor has it that Marilyn Monroe had like 23 inch waist? but looking at all the pictures, I am not convinced...

+1. I don't believe it for one second.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I just saw something on a documentary that says she wore a size 16. Now, clothing sizes may have been adjusted for the fatter population but I can't believe a size 23" waist was ever size 16.
    Didn't all the civil war ladies try to get an 18" waist with the corset on? I've read stories on how they starved themselves and also passed out from super tight corsets.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    DOES anyone have an issue with LOOSE V. lose? reading the OP drove me nucking futs!!!!... there was a hint in the above posts for any woman looking to create a "classic hour glass" figure using "corsets" a prime celeb example is Dita Von Teese.

I am not saying that it's a healthy or comfortable process... JUST that it exists.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders.
    Ummm.... no. It's also a sign of "I-REALLY-REALLY-REALLY-want-to-fit-into-that-dress-again!"

People's goals are people's goals. Please don't judge people for their goals. You don't know her... based on the remarkably low amount of information that you have about her, her life, her lifestyle, and her path to success.... it's EXTREMELY unfair.

It might be a little strange for those of us with 25% body fat END GOALS to think... "why does she want to lose if she's at 22%?" But what SHE wants has NOTHING to do with what we want. To basically tell her that her goal is "a sign of eating disorders" is not only rude and uncalled for, but it's MEAN.

She's here for HELP. If you can't HELP, please don't HINDER. Don't put it in her head that there's something SICK or WRONG about her goals, when....

THERE.
    IS.
    NOT.

That being said:

OP: I believe in you. I think you can do it. Keep in mind though, that as you lose, the weight comes off all over the place. I'm kind of pear-shaped, and carry most of my weight in my thighs and hips. This is where I gain first... AND where it disappears first. I'm a cardio queen... I run A LOT: like, 3-4 hours per week.

When I watch what I eat, training for a race or something... the weight disappears, and my quads and glutes put on more muscle. It's sometimes weird, but the scale will go UP, and the inches down.

I think having a goal of losing a certain number of inches is AMAZING. It's nice to see someone not obsessed with the numbers on the scale, because that's not really what its about. It's about how YOU FEEL in your own skin.

That being said too, adding muscle really helps you burn! It also makes you stand up straighter, look leaner, feel energetic, and stronger.

Best of luck with your journey.

Ignore the fools. :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I just saw something on a documentary that says she wore a size 16. Now, clothing sizes may have been adjusted for the fatter population but I can't believe a size 23" waist was ever size 16.
    Didn't all the civil war ladies try to get an 18" waist with the corset on? I've read stories on how they starved themselves and also passed out from super tight corsets.

Her size changed quite a bit over the years. After her miscarriage, she was quite a bit bigger than when she starring in movies like "How to Marry a Millionaire." I believe that she had a 23" waist at some point, just not at this point:

Marilyn-Monroe-Pictures-4.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    DOES anyone have an issue with LOOSE V. lose? reading the OP drove me nucking futs!!!!... there was a hint in the above posts for any woman looking to create a "classic hour glass" figure using "corsets" a prime celeb example is Dita Von Teese.

I am not saying that it's a healthy or comfortable process... JUST that it exists.

You can get strikes for correcting or making fun of someone's grammar/spelling, so watch out.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I usually lose 1 cm every 2 kgs, but that's just totally me. It totally depends on your body composition.
    The only way to figure it out would be losing weight steadily for a long period of time and then looking at your stats, that's why I came out with mine.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I typically lose inches when taking a very cold shower or swimming in a cold pool. Oh wait! err, I mean....never mind.

Need some help finding those lost inches?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think having arbitrary inch goals may be a sign of eating disorders.
    Ummm.... no. It's also a sign of "I-REALLY-REALLY-REALLY-want-to-fit-into-that-dress-again!"
    That dress she wore when she was five.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    A 25" waist may not be physically possible.

And why do you think that it may not be physically impossible? Are you referring to the OP or to women in general?

I have a 25' waist (PITA to get pants to fit me well with 34" hips), and during my younger years my waist was between 21 and 23 inches. So it is possible.

I think he/she refers to OP's stats...

It's possible but takes some hard work and patience to lose the whole 3 inch from the waist...
    For some people it isn't...Depends on your bone structure. I have a wide rib cage and I know for a fact I could never have a 25 inch waist. Even when I was an athletic middle schooler I had a 28 in. waist...
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options

Need some help finding those lost inches?

Are you offering? FR me and we can discuss it further:blushing:
    Happy Hump Day to you by the way!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    A nurse who takes measurements all day told me almost NO ONE has a 24" waist.

My beanpole 14 y/o has a 26" waist and she's 108lbs., 5'5" and naturally small waisted w/a long torso. There is no way hers will ever be smaller, barring anorexia.

Even 28" is a tiny waist. I agree that the goal sounds a little ED.

Really? Before I got pregnant my waist was 29, and I wouldn't say I was that small! I was a UK 10/12 (US 6/8). My hips were 39 though.

I'd love a 28" waist, and I definitely don't have an ED. Nothing wrong with aiming for inches. I know clothes fit me at a certain waist and hip size.

I lost loads of inches after my last baby by doing a huge variety of exercise classes, and lots of strength and weight training.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't think 25" is possible for everyone, and maybe not likely for someone already at low-20s body fat % and 28". Maybe it is but better to be prepared that shape may not be in your genes and that size might put you at too low of bf% or weight for general health.

Sure it is. I have a 26" waist now, at ~24-25% BF and a significant pad of fat left to lose on my upper and lower abs. By the time I lose that fat pad, if I ever manage it, my waist will have shrunk at least an inch.

Besides, you can find jeans sized for a 24" waist in the department stores - and not in the misses section. Who is buying those if women can't have even a 25" waist?