Midnight eating

Options
Does anyone have any problems with sleeping through the night? I wake up EVERY night...it could be one time, it could be 5 times and I am starving and I cannot sleep until i eat something. I usually crave things like bread...things i would NEVER eat during the day. Sometimes I wake up and faintly remember getting up to eat. I have tried drinking lots of water before bed, eating a snack...having a nutrigrain bar in the middle of the night..but then i go to bed and more than likely i will wake up several more times...Its very annoying and hindering my calories for the day...i have to leave calories to make up for what i may eat during the night...I'm not sure how to handle this and I have talked to my doctor and I am leaving a protien shake in the fridge, i honestly dont think that will work, but we will see tonight...just wondering if anyone else has this problem??? Any info will be appreciated :)

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What is your overall calorie intake usually? I only see two days logged - your calorie goal is 1200. One day you were close, the other you were at 800.
    It is possible 1200 calories is too low for you. If you are eating under that on a regular basis, that could also be a problem.
    How active are you?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You can try fasting through out the day and eat all your calories before bed.
  • dirtrockersgirl
    dirtrockersgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i usually stay between 800 and 1200. sometimes i have trouble even getting to 1200. if im craving breads and sweets do you think maybe my blood sugar drops at night?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    i usually stay between 800 and 1200. sometimes i have trouble even getting to 1200. if im craving breads and sweets do you think maybe my blood sugar drops at night?

Sounds like you're just not eating enough, you're body is telling you it needs more fuel.

Rigger
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your caloric intake is quite low, you might not be completely satiated before bedtime. I have problems sleeping through the night just from raw energy throughout the day carrying over. If your sleeping issues persist, try Melatonin really helps reset your clock. As far as protein shake before bed, make sure is a Casein blend that is whats going to satisfy your hunger not an Isolate.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I concur with Navyrigger. Your body is not getting enough fuel. I would suggest eating solid food for breakfast and leaving your protein shake for a bedtime snack. It always helps me to have some protein before I go to bed: yogurt, a protein bar, whole milk, or toast with melted cheese on it. Your meals seem very high in carbs without a great deal of protein. I'm looking at your lunch with a baked potato, skin off, with a salad with croutons and an egg with ranch dressing as an example. Maybe you could leave the skin on the potato, throw some butter and cheese or sour cream on it? Add some chicken to the salad? Both would bring the calorie count of your meal substantially and would not add much bulk, if that's what's preventing you from consuming all your calories. I'm also curious about your snacks. When, for example, would you eat the rice cakes and chocolate? If it's right before bed, then both are notorious for raising blood glucose levels very high and then causing them to crash--so you might consider moving them to another time or eating them with something that will slow their absorption (cheese, peanut butter).

If your base calories are set at 1200, then you actually seem to be adding on additional consumable calories by exercising. If that's true, then you need to up your calorie intake or risk losing muscle, since your body will need more fuel and will eventually consume muscle mass as well as fat. Anyway, it seems as if you are "dieting" instead of changing your diet. You might need to consult with a dietitian or health professional to help you find meal plans that suit your needs over time.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like waking up to eat would help and not hurt your calorie goals :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Based on your very sporadic logging, you rarely eat over 1200 calories, sometimes netting far under 1000, I'd say it's your body telling you to stop underfeeding it.

Eat at least your goal and eat back half your exercise calories and I'm sure this problem would clear right up.
  • dirtrockersgirl
    dirtrockersgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...this is exactly the feedback i was looking for...i dont know what to eat and when to eat it... eating bad is so easy while trying to eat healthy is so confusing....
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...this is exactly the feedback i was looking for...i dont know what to eat and when to eat it... eating bad is so easy while trying to eat healthy is so confusing....

Amen. Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Waking up at night because you are starving? Sounds like a symptom of not-eating-enough-itus. Perhaps eat more.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

How about eating the stuff you love in moderation? There is no such thing as "healthy" food, only nutrient dense.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Set a reasonable calorie goal and eat food when you feel like eating so that you are satisfied and can get a good nights rest. What the food you should eat is the food the meets your nutritional requirements and your calorie goal otherwise it doesn't matter, can be burgers and icecream. Determining if you are meeting your calorie goal and nutritional requirements is what MFP is for. I mean you should get a reasonable amount of protein (something like 0.8g per pound lean mass) and a reasonable amount of fat (something like 0.4g per pound bodyweight) but other than that have at it.

A reasonable calorie goal for a young woman who isn't that overweight and wants to lose a few extra pounds is probably in the neighborhood of 1600 and if they are exercising actively probably in the neighborhood of 1900+. Depends on your personal stats but unless you are a 4' tall 70 year old woman it isn't 1200 calories.

So I have to ask, ARE you meeting your nutritional requirements? How is your iron level for example?