So we just bought an entire crate full of strawberries...

Options
13»

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The local flat of strawberries taste so good but it's very expensive. $25 is the cheapest I've seen. They go bad very quickly though but it's a trade off for better taste. California big farm strawberries are big, tasteless and extremely sour.
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'd probably make a buttload of smoothie and freeze them in ice lolly moulds and just have smoothie pops on hand, they'd pretty low cal if made with almond milk too mmmm man so doing that.

I love this idea! Stealing it!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of strawberries. Nothing more to add...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've found they freeze well, but don't thaw well - like slimy slugs. But good for chucking in a smoothie in their frozen state.

Like other fruit and veg, put them on a tray or plate to freeze, then bag them up, they don't stick togther this way.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you will finish them quickly, I would freeze them. Strawberries don't keep well. I'm not sure if they need a light blanch. Check the NCHFP website, which is very useful for preserving foods safely and without quality loss.
  • TatianaSoe
    TatianaSoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Strawberries have been on sale here too so I've picked up a bunch myself. I freeze them for smoothies later on. First, I rise and chop them in half (if they are the big ones) then pat them dry. After that I weigh them out and mark the weight on a ziplock bag (makes for easier logging later on). Then just stick them in the ziplock, squeeze out as much air as you can, and freeze. They lasted a month or so and still taste good.

Also one of my favourite cakes of all time is this strawberry cake (going to make this later on with fresh strawberries- don't know how well it would taste with frozen): http://pinksuedeshoe.com/2010/06/23/strawberry-cupcpiecakes/
  • schumann12
    Options
    Freeze it and put it in smoothies. Be careful when you are making smoothies not to use too much fruit, it has a lot of sugar (natural, but still) and carbs so you might crash. Try to use only 1 cup of fruit and the rest spinach or kale, ice, and a good protein powder :smile:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The blog closet cooking has a seriously awesome recipe for a roasted strawberry BBQ sauce and several ways to use it. I made some a couple of weeks ago and have been dreaming about it ever since. It takes something like 4 cups of strawberries to make so you need quite a good amount. I know the combo might sound a bit strange but I can't express how totally awesome this stuff was.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I never have to freeze mine when we go picking :ohwell: I eat them all! And, I have a toddler, so he helps!

I used our mandolin and sliced them super thin them dehydrated them in the oven -- crunchy strawberry chips So good! :smooched:
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    I love making smoothies with strawberries, and you can adjust recipes based on how sweet/ other berries you'd like to use.
    If I'm making a meal smoothie I use dairy, for a snack smoothie I typically use water as the base due to less calories.

Strawberry Smoothie recipe: (only 275 calories per serving, this recipe yields one serving)

1/2 cup milk (2% reduced fat)
    1/4 cup greek plain yogurt (2%)
    4 large strawberries
    10 raspberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1 medium banana
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    working on a 4 lb box myself for the last 3 days, I can eat this all day.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I bought an 8-quart flat of strawberries on Saturday and right away, I made:

Strawberry ice cream
    Four pints of strawberry jam
    Strawberry syrup for the ice cream

I have also been cutting them up and eating them plain, and tomorrow I'm making strawberry rhubarb muffins. It is a glorious time of year!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday, and really wanted to try it.

http://www.bestfondue.com/fruit-fondue-recipe.html
  • pswamom
    pswamom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mash some of em' up with banana & coconut & some coconut water freeze on a stick---dip in chocolate sauce or add dark chocolate chips or carob and refreeze--then eat!!!!!! And invite me over :)

This sounds really good! Is there an actual recipe for this? If so, please post. If not, can you give detail amounts on everything? Thanks!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Cut some of them up in half and freeze them flat in a Ziplok Freezer bag. For smoothies, oatmeal, etc.
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Chop and freeze 4 cups of berries, then throw them in the food processor with 1 container of greek yogurt, the juice of half a lemon, and honey if you like it. Ta da.... strawberry sorbet... better than ice cream!