Official Looking for cyclist friends thread! Add me!

Options
I will eventually engage in other exercise activities but for now I love cycling. I commute by bicycle to work and also try to ride the central park loop after I get home. Anyone else out there using their bikes to get fit? Add me!

Replies

• eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dusted off my old mountain bike and I've been riding
    fairly often! I'll add you. I also work in Manhattan running
    construction sites but I commute home on the train.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Am doing a 100 mile ride for charity in August :o)
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Love cycling do many miles love the freedom on the road
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    You bet, nothing like rolling through the woods or down a country road! Or in your case, Midtown and Central Park!:smile:
  • Blackdinomite
    Blackdinomite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have come to hate the trains but sometimes there's no other option. I try to ride as often as possible
  • Blackdinomite
    Options
    Yes the freedom is great! Definitely agree.
  • Blackdinomite
    Options
    100 miles!!! Wow . how do you handle the sack pain???
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I used to bike! for two years actually - trained and rode the Ride to Conquer Cancer two years in a row... I have some tips and ideas for people if you are interested...
  • ddkphotos
    Options
    PS - I lost not 1 pound in those two years!!! but I did lose a pant size... but the fat turned to muscle which is heavier... so yeah...
  • ddkphotos
    Options
    here is a link to my interview with tips etc... it might look like the page isn't loading but if you click on it (at the bottom of the page) it should open...
    http://mo11.conquercancer.ca/site/PageServer/?pagename=mo11_social_media_centre
  • cobysev
    cobysev Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love bicycling! I used to bike to work everyday (a measly 4 miles) until I broke my ankle. I can't wait to heal so I can start it up again!

When I'm biking, A fun challenge I've been doing since I was a kid is to never put my feet down on the ground until I get to my destination. It's an interesting challenge that requires a little modification to your riding skill depending on obstacles you encounter along the way. And it teaches you great balance too.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just got a bike after 20 years. My train ride is about an hour each way...it's been nice to come home and ride for a bit at night and on weekends!
  • Blackdinomite
    Options
    I love cycling too! These Hills are giving me problems though. I ride through it but good lord such pain in central park. It doesn't look like much until you try to go up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'll add you. I commute by bike a couple times a week in Chicago, and am trying to increase it to more like 4 times a week. I also try to do a couple of longer rides on the weekends, and need to get out to the trails around here this summer. There are monthly cycling challenges in the Fitness section--you just set a mileage goal for the month and report how it's going--and also an MFP team for the National Bike Challenge, which also has a thread, if you are interested in either.

One thing about Chicago commuting is no hills. But we do have wind that seems to be going the wrong direction more often than not.
  • Yoga504life
    Yoga504life Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in rural North Dakota....plenty of open spaces (and animals) to enjoy during the early morning or late evenings when the famous ND winds aren't howling through the prairie. I'm just purchased a mountain bike this spring as a way to rehab my knee and absolutely fell in love with it! Add me if you choose :)
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    I cycle about 290km a week, cycling saved me. Have lost 37kg so far. Training to do an endurance event. Good luck on your journey.