That Dang Processed Food! DEVIL!!!!!

Options

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I only get to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. Sure, I can eat 1200 calories of chips. That isn't even a food that triggers an all out pigout for me. Except Pringles. I think they put crack in those. But even one serving of chips could have gone to something with nutritional value. Is this for weight or for health? If it's really for health, shouldn't we all be reducing our intake of high calorie, low nutrient foods?

not all of us eat 1200 cals a day to lose weight. IMHO health includes all things in moderation no one is suggesting eat ALL the chips.

Pass the chips please - I'll have some of both :bigsmile:

All yours! By the way, they're both processed foods. Technically so are the raisins I eat, too, though. One has MSG and one doesn't, that stands out for me because a friend of mine gets migraines from it. You can have her chips, too.

Everyone knows that by processed they are speaking of foods made in a Corporate manufacturing, factory environment.

These overly technical terms are nonsense. We weren't eating boxed, packaged, manufactured food like substances over 50-60 years ago. Foods were made from scratch.

Go ahead and eat those preservatives and food dyes. They are known to be unhealthy in the human body.

See, I tend to avoid preservatives and food dyes, too. But have you ever looked at a cookbook from the 50's? Ghastly stuff. Try 75-100 years back to get to a time without overly processed foods.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I only get to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. Sure, I can eat 1200 calories of chips. That isn't even a food that triggers an all out pigout for me. Except Pringles. I think they put crack in those. But even one serving of chips could have gone to something with nutritional value. Is this for weight or for health? If it's really for health, shouldn't we all be reducing our intake of high calorie, low nutrient foods?

not all of us eat 1200 cals a day to lose weight. IMHO health includes all things in moderation no one is suggesting eat ALL the chips.

All yours! By the way, they're both processed foods. Technically so are the raisins I eat, too, though. One has MSG and one doesn't, that stands out for me because a friend of mine gets migraines from it. You can have her chips, too.

Everyone knows that by processed they are speaking of foods made in a Corporate manufacturing, factory environment.

These overly technical terms are nonsense. We weren't eating boxed, packaged, manufactured food like substances over 50-60 years ago. Foods were made from scratch.

Go ahead and eat those preservatives and food dyes. They are known to be unhealthy in the human body.

See, I tend to avoid preservatives and food dyes, too. But have you ever looked at a cookbook from the 50's? Ghastly stuff. Try 75-100 years back to get to a time without overly processed foods.

I stand corrected on the time line. You know what I was getting at though.

It is disturbing how cooking from scratch seems to be a lost art. Hardly anyone knows how to cook anymore. I just shake my head.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Doritos.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^^This!!!! 1200 calories is not enough and not healthy. I'd rather eat a sensible amount of calories, the majority of those calories made up of 'healthy' foods and the rest of the calories are for foods that are not so functional. Pass the chips!!! Can I get a beer to wash those down?
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the flavorings and dyes. I don't go buy 50 gallon drums of them and snack on, but I don't avoid them like a plague infected rat.

I guess my logic is: I've had a lotta chemo, so I'm kind of like a mutant anyway. Red Dye #7 will just help me turn into a badass superhero. I should contact Marvel.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If Doritos are wrong, I don't want to be right. A few Doritos isn't what made me fat. Eating entire bags in one sitting made me fat. A few Doritos didn't give me skin cancer (probably). Spending every summer in my childhood on Cape Cod getting dozens and dozens of sunburns did (highly likely)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You do realize the amount of marketting and research that went into to make dorito's what they are right?

They are engineerined to be addicting- the powder that gets everywhere and leaves the taste linger but not leaving you full I"TS ON PURPOSE.

gah.

duh of course it's processed.

And delicious.
    And awesome.

Love washing it down with a pepsi. But I never buy the big bag- only "single serving" bags- which are usually 1/4 full and then 3/4 full of air.

Whatever- it's worth it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

^^^^This!!!! 1200 calories is not enough and not healthy. I'd rather eat a sensible amount of calories, the majority of those calories made up of 'healthy' foods and the rest of the calories are for foods that are not so functional. Pass the chips!!! Can I get a beer to wash those down?

I am far healthier and better nourished now on 1200 calories of fruits and vegetables plus a multivitamin than I ever was on 3000 calories a day of junkfood and no vitamin. If I eat more than 1200 calories I won't lose the last of this weight. If I eat around 1500 I will gain weight (albeit slowly).

But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've eaten chips and I'm still losing weight. I don't eat them often because the serving size is so small for the calories and carbs for me. Not usually worth it.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You do realize the amount of marketting and research that went into to make dorito's what they are right?

They are engineerined to be addicting- the powder that gets everywhere and leaves the taste linger but not leaving you full I"TS ON PURPOSE.

gah.

duh of course it's processed.

And delicious.
    And awesome.

Love washing it down with a pepsi. But I never buy the big bag- only "single serving" bags- which are usually 1/4 full and then 3/4 full of air.

Whatever- it's worth it.

YES! lol worth every damn bite lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.

I really am actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

I am far healthier and better nourished now on 1200 calories of fruits and vegetables plus a multivitamin than I ever was on 3000 calories a day of junkfood and no vitamin. If I eat more than 1200 calories I won't lose the last of this weight. If I eat around 1500 I will gain weight (albeit slowly).

You must be really short to gain weight on 1500 calories
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love both kinds, and in moderation, both are fine. But I learned quickly, having to choose, I'd much rather have 140cal salad, than 140 cal ounce of chips. luckily for me most days I can have both! :love:
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Why thank you for the permission... I think I will stimulate the pleasure center of my brain.. which is obviously better than stimulating the part of the brain you have on 1200 calories :flowerforyou:
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I really actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

I'm pretty sure it's more work to think rationally than it is to pass judgement on people for eating some chips.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Does judging people burn a lot of calories?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I really actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

I'm pretty sure it's more work to think rationally than it is to pass judgement on people for eating some chips.

I'm not judging anyone. When PMS hits this month I may very well do the same thing with some dark chocolate. Calling it what it is isn't judging. That is what we do when we choose palatable foods with little or no nutritional value. It's fine, we do other things for that, too. Like drink coffee. I'm about to finish off my third cup right now.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Well...now you got me to thinking...what would stimulate the pleasure center of my brain...

No NO...not that...I was thinking of...mashed potatoes...fried chicken...white beans (with ham hock) and corn bread...followed by a slice of German Chocolate cake...all home made. Not sure I would lose any weight but all of those are fairly high nutrient foods...well...sorta...

I eat chips sometimes...out of bag...I tried to make them home made...they just didn't stimulate me...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I prefer sweet potato chips, and I love to cook. So... I make my own chips from sweet potatoes at the farmer's market.

Maybe to some people, not eating "processed" food such as both chips shown here is more of a moral decision (Kind of like some vegetarians and vegans) just for themselves to adhere by. Most people I know that avoid processed things have allergies or intolerances. Personally, I'd just prefer to support my local farmer and make 'em myself.