Not everyone sees your sucsess

Options
2»

Replies

• girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. I have lost about 45lb this year and have had loads of comments over the last month or so, including a few people saying I lose more every time I see them, even though it's now slowed down. I think it seems to work like that, and although when people say things I feel a bit embarrassed about how far I still have to go, I still feel better than if I actually told people what I'd lost and feel like they're thinking, really, you can't see it, which is sometimes what I feel they think if someone else points out my loss to them.
  • staceylw31
    staceylw31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How about your own doctor who has been on you to lose weight not even saying good job when you have lost 30 or so lbs? Yep that is what happened to me last year...I thought of all people she would be estatic because she has been telling me every time I went to lose weight...nope she didn't even say a word.
  • boxer114
    boxer114 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I so understand your post. First, that person is very rude, no manners or class whatsoever. Second, I have had a total of about 75 to 80 pounds or so to lose, have lost over 30lbs, and not one person has noticed, so I understand. I agree that we are doing it for ourselves, for our health and longevity . . . not the reactions of others, although I would be nice to be complimented for our hard work and effort.
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How about your own doctor who has been on you to lose weight not even saying good job when you have lost 30 or so lbs? Yep that is what happened to me last year...I thought of all people she would be estatic because she has been telling me every time I went to lose weight...nope she didn't even say a word.

This happened to me too! I told him that I was working out and losing weight and he didn't care at all!
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This person is a piece of ****. People like this want to tear someone else apart because they don't want anyone else to notice what horrible people they are. I've lost over 120 pounds and run into these people quite frequently. I'm still 276 but that doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. I hope you get where you want to be. Don't mind the *kitten* along the way.
  • staceylw31
    Options

This happened to me too! I told him that I was working out and losing weight and he didn't care at all!

Yep not a care at all...I was not happy at all lol
  • homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I've lost 56 lbs and dropped from a 4x pants /5x shirt size to a 1x pants/2x shirt size and only one person noticed - one of my sisters-in-law.. She is so sweet. I wanted to squishy hug her right there in the middle of our JDRF walk. My mother hasn't even noticed yet!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    People can be so weird and rude. I'm sorry that anybody has had to deal with comments like this.

I'm not sure if it is because people don't notice my weight loss or maybe they notice and don't know what to say but I've mostly had people ask me if I am doing my hair differently now. I've heard "your hair looks different" a lot lately.
  • kay_walker
    kay_walker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unless it's something truly positive, I think it's rude to comment on weight. Period.
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats to you on your hard work to get to your goals. Ignore the people that talk before they can even think. That just says enough about them. You are on the right track. :flowerforyou:
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Wow! That's so strange. When I told my doctor I had lost 25lbs (at that time), he actually fist bumped me and told me how great it was. Everyone should get that reaction when they're trying hard.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm like the first person to notice if someone lost weight, I mean it is pretty obvious if you are paying attention to others. I guess a lot of people just don't? they care about themselves only. I mean it is so obvious.
    Everytime I went to the yearly examination. They always noticed my weight, I guess it is because it is an asian doctor.. They really care about your weight, comment everytime I gained or lose.. Of course they would asked what I did to lose or what I did that I gained. It kind of makes me scared to go to the doctor though. I need to lose weight to see his surprised face.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thing is, I don't care if anyone else sees it. I feel it and I feel better, and will also live longer. Good for those of you that don't care what others think.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that lady gets invited to any party given how socially inept she must be to allow that rude of comment to fall out of her mouth.

And no, not everyone notices weightloss, or feels comfortable saying anything even if they do notice. Weight is a sensitive subject, I'm sure many people fear inadvertently saying something offensive like "You don't take up the entire couch cushion anymore!" Someone said that to me once in their excitement when I had lost 50 or so pounds about 15 years ago. Even though they were complimenting me and congratulating me on my weightloss, it made me feel bad.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Some people don't need to speak, lol.

This. Lol. Congrats on your success. :)
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    I try to be understanding when people do not notice my loss because I am admittedly terrible at noticing it on others. My parents lost about 50 pounds each a few years ago. I even knew they were losing, but honestly could not tell until I saw an old picture (of course I only said supportive things to them and never told them this). Another time, I had not seen my coworker's 19 year old daughter for about 3 months. I noticed she looked different amd thought she had lost a lot of weight. I could not believe it when my coworker mentioned later that her daughter had gained 30 pounds due to a thyroid condition.
  • staceylw31
    Options

Wow! That's so strange. When I told my doctor I had lost 25lbs (at that time), he actually fist bumped me and told me how great it was. Everyone should get that reaction when they're trying hard.

I agree! I was very disappointed because she had been on me for YEARS to lose weight and when I did...not a single "way to go". It would have been nice.
  • meyowtime
    meyowtime Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good point about other people. I've actually decided (as an experiment) to not tell anyone irl that I've lost any weight and just see how long it takes before someone says something. I feel like that recognition isn't really what I'm looking for right now. People have their own stuff going on and aren't always quick on the uptake. I just want to feel better for myself.
  • Kikilarue59
    Kikilarue59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, I applaud you for handling this Rude person and her tackles remark. She certainly deserves to look like an idiot.
    I have found that in the past, when I have lost a significant amount of weight. Their are people give me compliments and then become Jealous after a while.
    Their have also been those people ( usually rail thin women) who are obsessed with the how and the how much weight I have lost.
    Weekly they want to know the amount. They become obsessed with the pounds lost. And it really bothers me because while I am counting calories', and religiously posting. I do not want to become a crazy person about this whole thing.

I think my losing weight, my changing myself creates a Para gram shift to those around me, I'm not the same person I was before, I'm making different choices because I have to in order for this to be a success.
    and I just to be mindful that while I am on this journey with my body and mind I can't be responsible for the obsessions and Yes sometimes envy of others.
    Because that's how I see it when people continually seem to need progress reports every time they see me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!