Why Insanity?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    People see the infomercials and the fake before and after pictures, and next thing you know they're out over a hundred bucks for a workout they will most likely never complete. It's marketing. Very good marketing.

Totally right. Nice abs! I hate you.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I got it as a gift and decided to try it. I did the Day 1 fitness test and decided that I wasn't very fit, based on not being able to breathe and being sore for the next 3 days.

This was 2 weeks after finishing my first Ironman. I could swim 2.4 miles bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles in one day, but could barely get through Day 1 of Insanity without feeling like I was having a heart attack. I haven't tried it again since :)

I think it's relative though - I wanted to be able to do as many of each activity as the "fitness models" in the video were doing, but I'm sure lots of people will be able to modify by going much more slowly and doing less. I'll stick to what I like though. I have plenty of T-shirts.
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and even modifying the routines to accomodate my level.......I still burn between 230-540 calories per workout, depending upon the session I am supposed to do for the day. I'm 48 years old and have only been working out for a little over 6 months.....I've only been doing insanity for 13 days. My muscles get a great workout (the first week, I could barely go up and down steps!) but, after 13 days of following the insanity program, I've noticed that I don't have to modify as much each time. I like the program because it's designed to be effective and I believe that the results are real that you see on TV because I see small changes in myself in the short time I've been doing it. I'm excited to see the difference after the full 8 weeks! I think anyone can use this program and modify it to their own ability and endurance level.......and get results! :)
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I get that what matters is to just be moving and be in your target heart rate and you will get a fitness boost and benefit whether you are insano-fit and doing the entire workout in pace with the instructors or completely out of shape and just limping along with poor form.

Thing is I also believe there must be many people who pick this up, struggle with it and push themselves way over their target heart rate OR just get frustrated with it and quit.

Seems to me people would be much better off starting with, well, a starter program. I've allowed myself to get out of shape and when I do I've used the P90 program (not P90X, P90) to great effect to get back into actually pretty good shape...and its doable, meaning you don't have to poor-form the moves. I just don't get the mentality of "Gee I've let myself go, I'm overweight and out of shape...I know, I will pick up the most difficult program I can find designed for athletes and do that".

Shawn is very vocal about taking breaks when a person goes above their target HR. He also constantly reminds the viewer that form is key. If a person ignores these constant (and annoying) reminders, it really isn't the program's fault. It's quite simple, if you go over your THR, stop, get some water, calm yourself and get back in. If your form is terrible, stop, compose yourself and get back in. Next workout, you'll get a little better. The only way I would say a person SHOULDN’T start with Insanity is if their form is so piss poor that they can’t even move enough to reach and maintain a THR for a 5 minute period. I myself couldn’t at first and that’s why I began walking – jogging to build up a (minimal) base of endurance.

The other thing that irks me about people "doing Insanity" is when they completely ignore the schedule given in order to pick and choose their workouts. Then they complain about how they didn't get the results they expected. Look, the schedule is created for a reason by a panel of experts. If you can't even do the right workout on the right day, you're wasting your time. The individual workouts are good on their own, I still pull out a DVD every now and then for a change of pace. But doing a random workout that you weant, when you want, does not Insanity make.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Why do people gravitate towards the hardest looking workout they can find? Is the idea to get something that you can just keep working on and working on until you CAN do it at which point you know you are crazy-fit? Are we all masochists? Is this a good thing? I get that people want to push themselves, heck I want to push myself when I work out, it just seems that many would probably be pushing themselves just with a jump rope or going for a run that was longer than 20 minutes. Is there a benefit to just throwing yourself into the deep end like that?

I keep saying this but I really want to be clear that I am not trying to pass judgement, I am not saying it is wrong for people to do Insanity, I just personally think it looks to be at a level that is currently beyond me. Am I just being defeatist or am I being a realist here?

I totally get your post. I have one answer for the first part of the quote; I assume newbies try it because it sounds intense and "serious" and in the end I think deep down they know they will not finish it. I have first hand experience with a co-worker who did it for three days and quit and she smokes, she hates exercising and she's naturally skinny. And she only tried it because another co-worker does it with his wife and they are both used to it already. So that was a case of monkey see, monkey tries to do but can't in order keep up with the other monkeys.

Secondly, I guess programs like that are for the more experienced user to keep challenging themselves. But the commercials show folks who are already in shape. If it shows undershaped people, then I guess they have modified versions of the exercise.

But, my final answer is ..... people like to keep up with the Jonses and people like to spend money and people like to quit things. It's a common defeatist attitude; set yourself up to fail becaause watching what you eat is too simple a solution.

I like hi intensity interval training, but I know my limits for now. I may be able to push the limits later but I won't pay for Insanity if I know it's way advanced.

I stil have Tony Hortons older one that was the original 90 day beach body. That was pretty good 12 years ago and I think I may dig it out. It's only one DVD.

Tony Horton's original P90 is my go-to for getting back into shape. Its simple, its effective, its doable but not easy.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Why do people gravitate towards the hardest looking workout they can find? Is the idea to get something that you can just keep working on and working on until you CAN do it at which point you know you are crazy-fit? Are we all masochists? Is this a good thing? I get that people want to push themselves, heck I want to push myself when I work out, it just seems that many would probably be pushing themselves just with a jump rope or going for a run that was longer than 20 minutes. Is there a benefit to just throwing yourself into the deep end like that?

I keep saying this but I really want to be clear that I am not trying to pass judgement, I am not saying it is wrong for people to do Insanity, I just personally think it looks to be at a level that is currently beyond me. Am I just being defeatist or am I being a realist here?

I totally get your post. I have one answer for the first part of the quote; I assume newbies try it because it sounds intense and "serious" and in the end I think deep down they know they will not finish it. I have first hand experience with a co-worker who did it for three days and quit and she smokes, she hates exercising and she's naturally skinny. And she only tried it because another co-worker does it with his wife and they are both used to it already. So that was a case of monkey see, monkey tries to do but can't in order keep up with the other monkeys.

Secondly, I guess programs like that are for the more experienced user to keep challenging themselves. But the commercials show folks who are already in shape. If it shows undershaped people, then I guess they have modified versions of the exercise.

But, my final answer is ..... people like to keep up with the Jonses and people like to spend money and people like to quit things. It's a common defeatist attitude; set yourself up to fail becaause watching what you eat is too simple a solution.

I like hi intensity interval training, but I know my limits for now. I may be able to push the limits later but I won't pay for Insanity if I know it's way advanced.

I stil have Tony Hortons older one that was the original 90 day beach body. That was pretty good 12 years ago and I think I may dig it out. It's only one DVD.

Tony Horton's original P90 is my go-to for getting back into shape. Its simple, its effective, its doable but not easy.

but you can take this much of Tony or he gets annoying...LOL

My go-to program is running. :tongue:
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I am FAR away from what anyone would consider fit. I.E. you still cannot see my muscles through my fat :)

I recently have been doing one of the insanity workouts. Its called insanity pure cardio and it comes free on my boyfriends xbox. It does absolutely kill me to do it and some of the workouts near the end I simply cannot do at that point so I modify them (burpees and frog jumps). I used to run but got bored with the limited running paths near me (and treadmill running just isn't happening) so I've been trying these types of workout dvds instead. I have to say the insanity cardio one is my favorite. I think I like that I CAN'T keep up in speed with the instructors. I dont think you're really supposed to be able to, since insanity was created specifically to challenge people who are already in excellent shape. I like having something to aspire to. It also feels more like having a trainer with me because the video pushes me to pick up my pace. I figure this way I won't get complacent and comfortable. I like how hard it is because when I finish, I feel like pretty much the boss of the world :)

So those are some of the reasons why I like insanity even though its absolutely a psychotic thing to put yourself through :)
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    In my case, I completely over-estimated how fit I was. I figured that because I'm not overweight and relatively active, it would be difficult but still totally manageable. Lo and behold, I got two days into the program and injured myself because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. My form was terrible and I was moving my body in ways that I hadn't moved in years. Also, if you scroll to the very bottom of the Insanity webpage on beachbody, the disclaimer clearly reads, "this is NOT for beginners." Of course, I ignored that because "I'm thin so obvs I'm in good shape!" Lol. NOPE.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this myself. Why people would go from being unfit to trying a very physically challenging workout with little to no prior athletic conditioning.

Sounds like a recipe for some major injuries and major let downs if you ask me.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I am FAR away from what anyone would consider fit. I.E. you still cannot see my muscles through my fat :)

I recently have been doing one of the insanity workouts. Its called insanity pure cardio and it comes free on my boyfriends xbox. It does absolutely kill me to do it and some of the workouts near the end I simply cannot do at that point so I modify them (burpees and frog jumps). I used to run but got bored with the limited running paths near me (and treadmill running just isn't happening) so I've been trying these types of workout dvds instead. I have to say the insanity cardio one is my favorite. I think I like that I CAN'T keep up in speed with the instructors. I dont think you're really supposed to be able to, since insanity was created specifically to challenge people who are already in excellent shape. I like having something to aspire to. It also feels more like having a trainer with me because the video pushes me to pick up my pace. I figure this way I won't get complacent and comfortable. I like how hard it is because when I finish, I feel like pretty much the boss of the world :)

So those are some of the reasons why I like insanity even though its absolutely a psychotic thing to put yourself through :)

LOL you got the "wrong sample". I personally think "pure cardio" is the hardest one, comparing to core and balance, plyometrics and core power and resistence. I do like "cardio recovery" on my rest days. It's a less intense but yet effective body weight training/recovery.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    but you can take this much of Tony or he gets annoying...LOL

My go-to program is running. :tongue:

After watching the Dexter Season 8, Episode 3, "What's Eating Dexter Morgan?"... I couldn't look at Tony Horton the same.

photo-3.png
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

A lot of people feel that way. My personal trainer was complaining the other day because she was in a class where the instructor was doing a program that was too advanced for the students. Her friend came out of the class saying, "Oh, I can tell she's GOOD." My PT was like, "No! She's a crappy teacher. All yoga teachers can do those moves. That doesn't mean that you are ready to do them."

Some people want "Challenge" and "Better than me" even when an easy scaffold might be better for them in the long run.

And I'd bet money that there's more personalization built into the program than is shown in the intro videos.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I get that people are saying everyone has to start somewhere... and that's exactly why there are tons and tons of videos for beginners. Much cheaper videos, too... even free ones! I don't think you need to be an athlete to start Insanity, but it doesn't seem wise to start it with no fitness base, either.

If you love Shaun T you can probably get Hip Hop Abs for, like, $7 now.

And congrats to all of you who have completed Insanity.
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    to likitisplit,
    oh thats good to know! The xbox has a couple of others for free as well but I havent tried them yet because the words "core" and "plyometrics" scared me off haha. Plyometrics always kick my *kitten*. But if you dont think they are quite as difficult as pure cardio, maybe I can manage them. I'll have to give them a shot. Thanks :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think the name alone is part of the draw for some people. It just sounds impressive to say you're doing "Insanity" when talking about it with someone else.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    to likitisplit,
    oh thats good to know! The xbox has a couple of others for free as well but I havent tried them yet because the words "core" and "plyometrics" scared me off haha. Plyometrics always kick my *kitten*. But if you dont think they are quite as difficult as pure cardio, maybe I can manage them. I'll have to give them a shot. Thanks :)

I wouldn't pay that much money for a program like that, but I was watching my four year old jumping up the front steps and realized that was plyometrics. I tried it myself and it was fun. I've started to love burpees though.

I didn't say that they aren't as difficult as pure cardio, just that most of the more intense video workouts I've done have included suggestions on scaling, including having a couple of people toward the back of the room do the modified exercises so you can follow along with them. It does say in the 2014 infomercial that "anybody who is willing to dig deep will be able to do the workouts." And that tells me that there is a ramp up and there are modifications in the program to make it accessible to everybody.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the description of the COST of the program why it's called Insanity?:laugh:

Beach Body has good workout programs. And great marketing programs.

But smart people know that it's not the program that's creating the bodies. It's the calorie deficit. Without the calorie deficit, one would get more fit, but no calorie deficit and the body would still look the same. That goes with ANY exercise program (unless one is trying to bulk up).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The bolded part is not true. I know lots and lots of smart people that don't know very much regarding nutrition and calorie deficits. I didn't know much about that until a few years ago. I'm 49. The idea of creating a calorie deficit is really not well understood by general people that try to diet. I think you underestimate how it is not very well known at all by most people.
    Let me restate. "Smart" people who understand nutrition. People who believe it's exercise programs that will make them slim and trim will be sorely disappointed if they don't fix their nutritional values first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I get that people are saying everyone has to start somewhere... and that's exactly why there are tons and tons of videos for beginners. Much cheaper videos, too... even free ones! I don't think you need to be an athlete to start Insanity, but it doesn't seem wise to start it with no fitness base, either.

If you love Shaun T you can probably get Hip Hop Abs for, like, $7 now.

And congrats to all of you who have completed Insanity.

I am sure there are cheaper videos...however, I went from paying a gym membership, to working out at home, I like the variety I get w/ the TurboFire, and the other workouts I have done and I enjoy them. If I didn't like the workouts, then I would probably quit doing them. But I guess to me...my health is worth spending $100 on a program that I like and keeps me moving. Not any different than paying $40/month to a gym to run on a treadmill and lift ....to each his own.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered this myself. Why people would go from being unfit to trying a very physically challenging workout with little to no prior athletic conditioning.

Sounds like a recipe for some major injuries and major let downs if you ask me.

Agreed. I was very active in high school, and college, tried insanity and failed miserably.