Quick ways to increase your running endurance?

Options
Hey runners!
I have started running and I would like your ideas and opinions on any ways to increase my endurance when running I have tried couch to 5K and it seemed that when I stopped (like 3-4 min in) it was SOOO hard to get going again, I usually gave up. Although I did end up completing a 5 k years ago!

Are there great books to read on this subject. I have tried a couple things! First I am not eating before because it makes me sick. I am running 6 days a week (I just started 2 weeks ago), today I ran the first mile (13:31), then the second mile was torture to get thru, (because I stopped but I had to cause I was exhausted and my HR was up to 160) it was super hot and humid! I wanted to run two miles in 23: min then build my distance from there and then cut off my time! Is this a good idea?

Any ideas or suggestion would help. I have a goal to run a 5 K in September 10 K in February

Thanks!!!
Oh I am 50 years old!!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey runners!
    I have started running and I would like your ideas and opinions on any ways to increase my endurance when running I have tried couch to 5K and it seemed that when I stopped (like 3-4 min in) it was SOOO hard to get going again, I usually gave up. Although I did end up completing a 5 k years ago!

Are there great books to read on this subject. I have tried a couple things! First I am not eating before because it makes me sick. I am running 6 days a week (I just started 2 weeks ago), today I ran the first mile (13:31), then the second mile was torture to get thru, (because I stopped but I had to cause I was exhausted and my HR was up to 160) it was super hot and humid! I wanted to run two miles in 23: min then build my distance from there and then cut off my time! Is this a good idea?

Any ideas or suggestion would help. I have a goal to run a 5 K in September 10 K in February

Thanks!!!
    Oh I am 50 years old!!
    Running.

Running.

Running.

That is what increases endurance.

That c25k plan is a great way to start out.

Running.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you can run 1 mile now you may start near the middle of the 5k plan.

Or..run 1 mile. Walk for 3 minutes. Run another quarter mile.

Next time out. Run the 1.25, walk for a few minutes, and then run .25 more.

and keep increasing it.

Also you said you run 6 days a week?

Probably too much for a new runner. Try every other day. Once you have that down run two days, off one day. Once you get comfy in that try 3 on and 1 off. I pretty much dont run more than 4 days in a row even training for HM's
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1st piece of advice......don't run 6 days per week (at least not yet) Your body goes through some very significant physiological adaptations when you start running (bone density, mitochondrial density, tendons, ligaments etc etc). Generally speaking you should run one day on one day off (feel free to cross train on non-running days.....bike, swim, row, walk , weights etc) Sadly for those of us in the half-century club recovery time becomes more important and, typically, fitness improvements come slower (we're not 25 anymore :sad: )

Fatigue is cumulative which is why you were exhausted, you need your non-running days.

You may also be pushing your progress too quickly. I don't know what your fitness level was 2 weeks ago when you started but i can tell you that when i started running in my early 50s by the 2nd week I may have been running (slowly) 4 or 5 consecutive minutes and taking walking breaks and adding a minute or two to the intervals every week or so. Endurance doesn't come quickly, it takes time, patience and consistency.

Focus on building your aerobic base first, don't worry about speed for quite a while.

Many new runners become victims of their own enthusiasm (we've all overdone it...) most injuries are a result of too much. too soon, too fast. Relax, take your time building up and enjoy the process. You have time to prepare for your races (consider downloading and following a training plan eg Hal Higdon's 5K http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance) and have fun!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1st piece of advice......don't run 6 days per week (at least not yet) Your body goes through some very significant physiological adaptations when you start running (bone density, mitochondrial density, tendons, ligaments etc etc). Generally speaking you should run one day on one day off (feel free to cross train on non-running days.....bike, swim, row, walk , weights etc) Sadly for those of us in the half-century club recovery time becomes more important and, typically, fitness improvements come slower (we're not 25 anymore :sad: )

Fatigue is cumulative which is why you were exhausted, you need your non-running days.

You may also be pushing your progress too quickly. I don't know what your fitness level was 2 weeks ago when you started but i can tell you that when i started running in my early 50s by the 2nd week I may have been running (slowly) 4 or 5 consecutive minutes and taking walking breaks and adding a minute or two to the intervals every week or so. Endurance doesn't come quickly, it takes time, patience and consistency.

Focus on building your aerobic base first, don't worry about speed for quite a while.

Many new runners become victims of their own enthusiasm (we've all overdone it...) most injuries are a result of too much. too soon, too fast. Relax, take your time building up and enjoy the process. You have time to prepare for your races (consider downloading and following a training plan eg Hal Higdon's 5K http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance) and have fun!

^^Awesome advice, right there.

1. Don't worry about speed right now.
    2. Follow a 5K training plan that will alternate run/walk intervals. Speed will come with continued training.
    3. Consistently and slowly adding distance will improve endurance.

I run 3 days a week and cross train the other days. The rest, non-run days make a big difference.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hey runners!

Thanks!!!
    Oh I am 50 years old!!
    Running.

Running.

Running.

Running.

this just keep running. push your limits. work on that two miles. just keep doing two miles even if you have to walk some of it until you are running the entire two miles. then add 1/4 mile to it repeat process.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    run AND run slower!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Truth.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Running.

Running.

Running.

Running.

Then after that, swim laps.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would say that there are no "quick" ways to increase your endurance. It takes time and patience if you want to stay injury free.

I would only run every other day, for now. I started with running/walking intervals, back in the dark ages before smart phones and running apps existed. On your running rest days, you can walk, cycle, swim, kayak, lift weights. Whatever brings you joy and keeps you active.

I wouldn't worry about speed yet, either. Increased speed, up to a point, will come with increased mileage. Once you are consistently running 15-20 miles a week, for 3 or more months, then you can look into some organized training plans for speed work.

The key is consistency and taking it slow so you can enjoy it and prevent injuries.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Per the request of one of my esteemed colleagues who is not welcome on the forums, I will add blood doping.

And from me, an altitude chamber, if you got the scratch for one
  • dbmata
    Options
    Per the request of one of my esteemed colleagues who is not welcome on the forums, I will add blood doping.

And from me, an altitude chamber, if you got the scratch for one

I wish I had one, turns out I'm getting AMS at 6,000 feet. I've been at sea level too long.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    amazon has altitude masks for 80 shipped with amazon prime.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe sign for a 5km race? Just focus on finishing it, at your own pace (mix of running - walking), the fact that you'll be among others will keep you motivated and it is an exciting way to exercise.

I also support the advice that 6 days is too much.. I used to train 6 days, just running, I'm in my late 20s and I noticed that my performance wasn't that great.. I dropped the trainings to two per week and I'm doing better times and have a better endurance!

:)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    run more often.
  • marnybonte
    marnybonte Posts: 15
    Options
    What everybody else said. It takes time. Concentrate on getting thru the distance using run/walk but try to keep increasing the run intervals. And run slowly. Speed will come naturally as your cardio and skeletal systems adapt to the new demands you place on them.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Great book recommended by another MFPer, "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry, advises tackling hills at a higher cadence (pace rate) with smaller steps and no increase in speed to build endurance. He also says to cross train with balance building exercises to avoid injury. If you put miles on in bad form you may injure yourself before or during the race!
  • dbmata
    Options
    amazon has altitude masks for 80 shipped with amazon prime.

those are just breathing restriction devices.

I can get my neighbor's wife to choke me while I do stuff if I wanted to go that route.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    First I am not eating before because it makes me sick.

Notwithstanding the feedback above, you're not eating enough. From a brief review of your diary you're consistently coming in well below your calorie goal, which isn't high anyway. That'll contribute to the fatigue.

Similarly, if run/ walk intervals aren't working for you then there are other approaches. Personally I found that C25K worked for me, but after a month or so of continuous running session when I moved onto a run/ walk 10K plan it really didn't work.

In that case just keep pushing your time or distance each session. As you can run for 12 minutes or so, next time push yourself for another minute, then again another minute on the next session. Once you can run for 15 minutes continuously start stepping up in 2 minute intervals, then at 25 minutes stretch that to a five minute increase.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Similarly, if run/ walk intervals aren't working for you then there are other approaches. Personally I found that C25K worked for me, but after a month or so of continuous running session when I moved onto a run/ walk 10K plan it really didn't work.

In that case just keep pushing your time or distance each session. As you can run for 12 minutes or so, next time push yourself for another minute, then again another minute on the next session. Once you can run for 15 minutes continuously start stepping up in 2 minute intervals, then at 25 minutes stretch that to a five minute increase.

This was the case for me too. C25K worked brilliantly, when I finished that I could run for 40 mins straight. Tried a 10k programme and the intervals and I did not get on. I just do my own plan now - 2 short runs and 1 longer run each week.

Also as others have said, don't run 6 days a week, its too much. And run slower.
  • 2PieceNow
    2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan!!