Damn it, i overate!

Options
And not just by a little. I can live with 100 - 200 calories over. But i ate 3000 calories today. 3000!
And it was all within a very short time. I almost threw up.

Now what do i do tomorrow? How do i cope? I'm seriously freaking out ready to puke it all out. Which i know i shouldn't do :(.

I can't just 'continue' with how i was doing, i will just hate myself again because i didn't compensate. Is there a way to make me feel better?

I just want to cry and never eat again, ugh. A few hours ago i felt amazing and happy and i wanted to start running and lifting and eating healthier and now... yeah.

Help? thanks.

Replies

• Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk.

And not with the idea of burning calories but to clear your mind.

See if you can pinpoint what lead you to doing this.

The walking will help you digest a little and not feel so incredibly full and give you a chance to reset your mind.

Go over what you ate and determine if it was worth the binge. If everything was delicious, just enjoy the moment. If it wasn't, try to embrace this feeling the next time you get the urge.

Its just one day, it won't mess up your week. Just get back on it tomorrow.

Good luck.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It is what it is and you can't go back and change it, so just learn from it and start new tomorrow. Go to the gym or for a walk today, if you want to work some of it off, but otherwise, just remember that tomorrow is a new day. Good luck!
  • Darkhawk1969
    Darkhawk1969 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you and move forward
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I take a cheat day once a week where I eat about that much and I've lost 45 pounds so far.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get some major flack for saying this, but if I overate that much and felt that awful after, I probably would try to puke it up. Don't make it a habit! I've only done that maybe twice in my life. And then do some extra cardio like 40-60 min and then forget about it and don't do it again.
    Just. No. Op, please for the love of all that is holy, do not listen to this "advice"
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible binge on Monday and was at almost 2900 net calories. I felt awful as well. To make up for it, I'm only eating between 1,000 and 1,050 net cals for 3 days (this is day two). Not a sustainable amount for an extended period of time, but I think that it will
    A. help offset the huge calorie overage a little so it doesn't ruin my whole week
    B. make me appreciate the 1350-1500 calories I should be eating.
    C. reduce my cravings by shrinking my stomach a little
    D. force me to be creative and learn to eat lower-calorie foods at larger volumes so I can still feel full enough.

So far it has been tough but I did it yesterday and I can do it today. I wish I had traded one of my 170 calorie cookies from lunch today for a little more food after dinner tonight, but hey I won't make the same mistake tomorrow!
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Nicely and succinctly said. Focus on a healthy today and tomorrow.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I overate several days in the past week, on purpose. Once for a Chinese buffet I hadn't been to in a while, and yesterday for free pizza at work, and today for an anniversary with my beloved. I'll be back on track tomorrow. The way I look at it is this:

I don't have a particular date that I need to reach my goal, and I'm making improvements in my body and fitness level slowly but surely. I'm eating at a 500 calorie deficit each day. So, if I overeat one day, then I go ahead a log it and figure out how much over I actually was, and then count back and figure out how many days of deficit I wiped out.

So, for example, if I just eat 500 calories over, then I've just wiped out today's deficit and eaten at maintenance. If I eat 1000 calories over, then I wiped out yesterday as well. 1500 cals is three days.

Then I just figure on reaching my goal that many days later. No biggie. No reason to punish myself or be upset. Maybe I'll even do something to make up for it a little, pad my deficit by 100 for the next few days, but not as a punishment...just as a head start for getting back on track. There's no reason to be upset or angry or disappointed.

I will say, however, that it's good to get to a place where, if you do decide to pig out one day, it's a conscious decision that has a rational reason behind it, and not just mindless eating. A celebration or event, going to a favorite restaurant, an offer of free food that isn't crappy...those are all good reasons for me to throw my calorie budget to the wind for a meal. Unfortunately those three things convened together in just a few days this past week, but that's not usually the case, and I still refuse to feel bad for it.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. From time to time I do the same thing and it sucks because every time it feels like i'm going to have to start over. I know that isn't true, but that's how it feels.
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Nicely and succinctly said. Focus on a healthy today and tomorrow.

Yes, this. Take the emotions out of it as much as you possibly can, and move on. Don't throw up, and don't say to yourself 'I'll eat less tomorrow'. Just get back on plan from this moment, this next breath. How you react now to this one slip will determine how quickly you get back on track. You can do this.:flowerforyou:
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    THE RACE DOESN'T GO TO THE SWIFT NOR THE STRONG BUT TO THE ONE WHO ENDURES. GOD BLESS
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's okay, one day of high calories isn't going to change your long term weight unless you allow it to. Don't worry! :)
  • Ldonahue921
    Ldonahue921 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Relax, it's ok. It happens. Take a walk or watch a comedy. Do something to help clear your mind and lift your spirits. Something that makes you smile but doesn't involve snacks.

DON'T PURGE AND DON'T STARVE TOMORROW!! Just get right back "on the wagon" and do your best to make healthier choices starting now. You are human. You have vulnerable moments. But you are strong. Today's "total" is not who you are. YOU decide who you are. Don't let one ESTIMATED number destroy all your efforts to get healthy.

Once you can separate yourself from the calorie take a few moments and review your choices today. Was it emotional eating? Was it a social gathering and just too many high calories temptations? If you know the Why's of your overeating, then you have the power to overcome them.

We're here for you. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • stellstar281
    Options
    Happened to me many many times & I'm now at 100lbs lost. Don't be hard on yourself.
    Don't look backwards you aren't going that way :)

34176813.png\
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter}
  • raintail8
    raintail8 Posts: 18
    Options
    Here are two words that you probably don't believe: it's okay. It's going to be okay, trust me. Or, just look at my diary. I have had days where I ate twice that much. It wasn't fun or cool or the way that anyone should eat, but I didn't puke it up because A.) I am deathly afraid of throwing up and B.) I knew that as horrible as I felt emotionally, my body would only suffer worse if I forced it to eject everything I just ate. You will get through this difficulty; feel free to msg me if you want to and we can talk :).
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just remember you don't get fat by eating terribly once in a while. Just like you don't get skinny from eating a salad once in a while.

One day won't do as much damage as you might think, tomorrow is new day! Onwards and upwards!
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe you needed to feed yourself abit? you look underweight to me. Sorry that's how i see it.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an everyday thing for me. 3000 is nothing. Just work it out.
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, you may need those calories....you look underweight.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    And not just by a little. I can live with 100 - 200 calories over. But i ate 3000 calories today. 3000!
    And it was all within a very short time. I almost threw up.

Now what do i do tomorrow? How do i cope? I'm seriously freaking out ready to puke it all out. Which i know i shouldn't do :(.

First, get over it and enjoy the splurge.

Then, start out tomorrow as you have to do every day - making the best choices you can for health and fitness, as often as you can, every day for the rest of your life.

It's one day for goodness sake.