Why Insanity?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and have the athletic ability of a slug, but I love throwing on an Insanity video and giving it my all. Why? Because I enjoy it. No, I can't actually maintain that degree of athleticism for nearly as long as the people in the video can, and I modify a lot of moves, but it's fun.

Yeah fair enough, I mean if you have fun with it and it gets you moving can't really knock that right.

I'm guessing people are right and the reason why it is the workout of choice is just because of the marketing and the fact that right now it is the workout of choice, so its what people just end up getting.

I just think there are a lot of fun home workout programs out there that people can actually, you know, do and are collecting dust because everyone must have Insanity.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    To give an idea of how I perceive this:

"Hey everyone, here is a great new fitness program that a beginner can launch into and get a great workout, improve their fitness and get a good sweat going."

Hmm....I don't know, looks kind of simple to me.

"He everyone, here is a new fitness program designed to torture the ever living *kitten* out of you and if you ever tried to do it to full intensity you would probably be on the floor vomiting after 15 minutes unless you are at the pinnacle of fitness already."

Take my money!

Throw in a 1200 calorie diet guaranteed to lose weight while eating all of your favorite foods, and you have a winner.

Incidentally your favorite foods are now cauliflower, tofu shirataki noodles, protein shakes, PB2 and acai berries.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

"Hey everyone, here is a great new fitness program that a beginner can launch into and get a great workout, improve their fitness and get a good sweat going."

"He everyone, here is a new fitness program designed to torture the ever living *kitten* out of you and if you ever tried to do it to full intensity you would probably be on the floor vomiting after 15 minutes unless you are at the pinnacle of fitness already."

Take my money!

Throw in a 1200 calorie diet guaranteed to lose weight while eating all of your favorite foods, and you have a winner.

Incidentally your favorite foods are now cauliflower, tofu shirataki noodles, protein shakes, PB2 and acai berries.

And Raspberry Keytones.

Good news, we're going on Dr. Oz in an hour.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Take my money!

And Raspberry Keytones.

I hope he tells me I only have to eat 1000 calories. I am just SO FULL eating all these awesome, clean foods that I just can't make it to 1200.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Isn't it the description of the COST of the program why it's called Insanity?:laugh:

Beach Body has good workout programs. And great marketing programs.

But smart people know that it's not the program that's creating the bodies. It's the calorie deficit. Without the calorie deficit, one would get more fit, but no calorie deficit and the body would still look the same. That goes with ANY exercise program (unless one is trying to bulk up).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The bolded part is not true. I know lots and lots of smart people that don't know very much regarding nutrition and calorie deficits. I didn't know much about that until a few years ago. I'm 49. The idea of creating a calorie deficit is really not well understood by general people that try to diet. I think you underestimate how it is not very well known at all by most people.
    Let me restate. "Smart" people who understand nutrition. People who believe it's exercise programs that will make them slim and trim will be sorely disappointed if they don't fix their nutritional values first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It's the "smart" part that bothers me. It's not about being smart. It's about being educated. Just because I don't know something doesn't mean I'm not smart. I don't know how quantum computing works, that doesn't mean I'm not smart. I'm sure I could learn if I wanted to apply myself in that area. I don't know how to do surgery, but I'm pretty sure I could if I studied and learned how to do it. It's not that people that someone has to be smart AND know about nutrition. They just simply have to learn and understand the concept of how a calorie deficit works. It has nothing to do with being smart.

I'll go one further. How "smart" does calorie counting really make a person considering all guessing that's going on. You plug your stats in to a calorie calculator and you get a guess of how much you should eat. You exercise and your fancy HRM gives you a guess of how much you burn. You log your calories based off the educated guesses of the company providing the figures. What about that is "smart?" The "smart" people are probably doing a ton of exercise to make up for all the guessing.

Nah. You just record weight lost/gained and adjust from there. It doesn't matter if you *actually* eat 2000 calories in the real world if you adjust "500" calories downward and lose a pound a week and "500" calories upward and gain a pound a week.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Take my money!

And Raspberry Keytones.

I hope he tells me I only have to eat 1000 calories. I am just SO FULL eating all these awesome, clean foods that I just can't make it to 1200.

I think you need to post a thread on MFP as well.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy the workouts at all. I wasn't in the best shape when I started and hardly modified at all but by the time I was done, I was in amazing shape and went from a size 12 to a 6. I want to do it again eventually. It's definitely not for everybody! I started it over about 8 times before fully committing to finishing it. It is HARD and not fun.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Excellent question OP I've always wondered too. Especially how the people who post 'I've been doing Insanity for 4 weeks and eating 1200 calories and not seeing any result', because I have absolutely no clue how they can 'do' insanity for 4 weeks while starving themselves.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy the workouts at all. I wasn't in the best shape when I started and hardly modified at all but by the time I was done, I was in amazing shape and went from a size 12 to a 6. I want to do it again eventually. It's definitely not for everybody! I started it over about 8 times before fully committing to finishing it. It is HARD and not fun.

You are amazing. I wish I had that kind of commitment. If I don't enjoy it, I just give up... couldn't care less if I would get results, lol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Excellent question OP I've always wondered too. Especially how the people who post 'I've been doing Insanity for 4 weeks and eating 1200 calories and not seeing any result', because I have absolutely no clue how they can 'do' insanity for 4 weeks while starving themselves.

Yeah, that sort of post and the sort of post where a very overweight person who says they haven't exercised in forever is talking about starting up Insanity are the two types of posts that inspired this one.

I am probably fit enough I could hobble my way through it but I'd much rather do a program that still pushes me hard enough to be in my aerobic range consistently without making me want to vomit.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Insanity was the first true workout program I ever did. It was alot of fun I love Shaun T cant stand Tony or Julian. I did the alternate moves until can bulid my self to do the real ones and yes I little slower then video. As long as trying you can improve and your body is stronger then your brain gives it credit for I am sure you could do insanity as well. Workout programs are mainly about finding something that you can stick with and if can stick to doing insainty i thnk you should go for it my opinon
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yeah, that sort of post and the sort of post where a very overweight person who says they haven't exercised in forever is talking about starting up Insanity are the two types of posts that inspired this one.

I am probably fit enough I could hobble my way through it but I'd much rather do a program that still pushes me hard enough to be in my aerobic range consistently without making me want to vomit.

You remind me of the guy who does pricing for my company and the alternate marketing schemes he comes up with and shares with me. They tend to be three words in black letters on a white PowerPoint, such as "Sell More Product". Simple. Clean. Direct.

Most people prefer a more aspirational vision of themselves and a bit more of a "story" and this does an amazing job of tapping in to that.

I don't think there are a lot of home videos that are that much more fun and motivating (excluding Rodney Yee's yoga series) considering that many people find Insanity to be amazing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

You remind me of the guy who does pricing for my company and the alternate marketing schemes he comes up with and shares with me. They tend to be three words in black letters on a white PowerPoint, such as "Sell More Product". Simple. Clean. Direct.

Most people prefer a more aspirational vision of themselves and a bit more of a "story" and this does an amazing job of tapping in to that.

I don't think there are a lot of home videos that are that much more fun and motivating (excluding Rodney Yee's yoga series) considering that many people find Insanity to be amazing.

and yet I still manage to be fun at parties.

Yeah I do suffer from bluntness and practicality though, not just in how I approach others but also in how I approach myself and my body. I'm not a cynic or a naysayer really, I don't say "I can't do it" I would say I am "presently unable to do it" but I'd still admit that I'm unable to and wouldn't force myself to when I could pick something else that fits me better. Some might see that as a defeatist attitude but it serves me well and I tend to accomplish my goals.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think you have the wrong idea. It's not that people trying Insanity are expecting to be able to run through the entire thing with few or no rest periods on their first day. They *know* they are not athletes and are out of shape! Heck, even the fit people in the video take their rest periods.

Insanity is about pushing yourself to your limit. Go as hard as you can for the set time period. If you need more breaks at first, fine. But do what they say and only stop long enough to catch your breath. Going slow is also fine. Form is more important than speed and you don't want to injure yourself. As you progress through the 60 days, you will notice you need less breaks and are getting stronger and are more able to keep up.

The other thing is, a lot of people in the ads/infomercials have done more than one cycle of Insanity. They saw great results from their first round so they decided to continue. Nobody is going to lose 200 lbs in just 60 days; they lost the weight because they kept going until they reached their goal.

Some people might prefer to try another exercise program or reach a certain goal before starting. But that just means they'll be able to keep up more and will possibly end up needing to do fewer cycles than someone who jumps in and starts with Insanity.

There's no way I'm doing Insanity this time of year (way too hot), but I'm thinking of trying it when the new year starts (January 1, 2015).
  • likitisplit
    Options

and yet I still manage to be fun at parties.

Yeah I do suffer from bluntness and practicality though, not just in how I approach others but also in how I approach myself and my body. I'm not a cynic or a naysayer really, I don't say "I can't do it" I would say I am "presently unable to do it" but I'd still admit that I'm unable to and wouldn't force myself to when I could pick something else that fits me better. Some might see that as a defeatist attitude but it serves me well and I tend to accomplish my goals.

The pricing guy, in addition to being the smartest person I know, is an extreme extrovert and really fun to be around. He just doesn't quite respond to fluffy marketing.

I'm all about slow changes, myself. One of the statements that has been a touch-stone during this go-round is from www.katysays.com: "you are not an out-of-shape version of you" You are who you are. The body adapts much better to small changes a hundred times a day than one big jump. You can't get a jumpstart and force yourself into shape. That results in injury. All the people who I admire physically have taken the TIME to get there. Muscles take years.

People don't want to hear that, and I get it. I used to look at my tummy and just pray that it was a bad dream and fall off overnight. If there was something that would work instantly without major health risks, I would have been all over that.

It took Couch to 5k, and eating at a moderate deficit and a progressive body weight training program to get me where I am today - all incremental and all focused on the basics. Not exactly the inspiration of the forums: 18 months and I consider myself about half way through my first phase. I'm not a newbie to fitness, but I'm taking a different approach this time and it seems to be working a lot better than anything I've done in the past.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    This guy has a video that sort of touches on this in a way that I have come to agree with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXQ77KURFww

Some language so not really work safe just to warn.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This guy has a video that sort of touches on this in a way that I have come to agree with.

Really? Elliot said that? I was totally not expecting him to be promoting low-intensity cardio.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Really? Elliot said that? I was totally not expecting him to be promoting low-intensity cardio.

He actually promotes the hell out of it. He can be a bit bro-sciencey at times but in general I really like his instruction and ideas and approach and its helped me I think.

Not to promote him to much but check this one out, one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqhCsgYkLJE
  • likitisplit
    Options

He actually promotes the hell out of it. He can be a bit bro-sciencey at times but in general I really like his instruction and ideas and approach and its helped me I think.

Not to promote him to much but check this one out, one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqhCsgYkLJE

It's funny how all the "right" answers boil down to the same thing: http://www.katysays.com/my-manifesto/