Anyone display clothes they can't fit into?

Options
Does anyone else do this?

I have a pair of well worn jeans that I could always fit into .. until I tried them on two weeks ago and could barely do them up, that is!

I also have a shirt that's it's a size 18! and I also tried that on and the buttons were straining.

These were what I called my 'fat clothes'. When everything else was tight I could always count on my baggy shirt and jeans - but now, I can't even fit into them!

It was that lightbulb moment that made me realise i HAVE to do something before it's too late, which is what brought me here.

I now have the shirt and jeans hanging on the back of my bedroom door and they are the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning. One of my first goals is to be able to fit into them again but not for long because eventually I plan on taking them to the clothing bank .... not because they are too small, but because they are too big!

Anyone else hang clothes up around the place as a motivation guide?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of pants never worn that are four years old from my last weight loss attempt and fail. I will get into those jeans.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have a gorgeous designer dress that fits me at my UGW (about 7lbs less than I am nowish). I have it on a manikin in my bedroom and it keeps me focused on wearing it again this summer on holiday...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't have clothes that are too small for me, now that I think of it.
  • tattooedillini26
    tattooedillini26 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have an old pair of jeans and a dress for what I like to call "goal clothes"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't have clothes that are too small for me, now that I think of it.

neither do I ...that's what happens when you are over weight for 20 years...hehe
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For about six weeks on weigh-in day, I would try on a pair of jeans that were too small. Way too small - i could get them over my hips, but the zipper was miles away from closing. As of ten days ago, those jeans (and some others that I'd held onto that were exactly the same cut/size) are now my everyday jeans :bigsmile:

I've dug around the house, but seem to have donated my smaller jeans. Bummer. But I'll find something in my closet that I want to wear and start trying IT on every week. I found it frustrating but motivating, and extremely gratifying when I could wear the stuff.
  • jchurch9
    jchurch9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Tailored Sportsmen Breeches from College that are taunting me, front and center in my closet, as a reminder. I fit into them once and I am DETERMINED that I will be wearing them again, hopefully someday soon! :)
  • remlaw06
    remlaw06 Posts: 20
    Options
    I totally do this, but I hang them in a space near the kitchen so when I am going for that extra cookie that won't fit into my calories for the day, I can stop myself. I think it is totally a useful visual tool!

I had a white sundress that I bought two summers ago in a 12 hanging for like 6 months. Never could get the zipper all the way up. Last weekend, I decided to just try it on for fun - and it zippered! I had no where to wear it, so I just put it on, walked around the house, vaccumed a bit and took it off :)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of khaki pants that fall off immediately unless I use a belt. In fact, that pair of pants is why I decided to lose (note: lose not loose weight). Since no one wants to see me in my underwear, I won't be displaying them though.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have about 2 bins of clothes I could not longer fit into. I took some of them out and leave them on top of my dresser. Some are just age inappropriate for me now so I donated them. But yes, I have a lot of them and I am going to try them on soon.
  • weigh2kewl
    weigh2kewl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I own that same pair of jeans..:smokin:
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I always donate clothes if I find that they no longer fit me, but my heaviest weight was only about 20 pounds heavier than my UGW (which is also the lightest I ever was in my adult life) and if I remember correctly, everything fit me just fine at both ends of the spectrum.

EDIT: after reading all the responses about using those clothes as motivation, I wish I had a pair of jeans that could be my goal. Maybe I'll buy a size 4 or 6 and try to fit into them every week.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a couple pairs of jeans that still have the price tag on them that I knew was my size about 3 yrs ago but don't fit now. Whenever I lose motivation or get frustrated, I pull them out and hang them on the back of the bedroom door so that when I wake up I can refocus on my goals and get my butt in gear for the day. With each milestone I'm getting closer to getting those babies on!
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, I was out shopping with my parents and found a shirt I really liked. I decided not to buy it that day, but they went behind me and bought it and surprised me with it later. I couldn’t wear it because it was too tight. (I didn't try it on in the store.) I didn’t want to return it, because I really liked it and it already was the biggest size available, so I hung it up in my closet for when I lost weight; which didn’t happen. Last year, both of my parents passed away. That shirt is now hanging up on my wall and is the first thing I see when I wake up. I WILL fit into it. In fact, if I keep losing at this rate, I should be able to wear it by the end of next month! It is my motivation to reach my first mini goal of being less than 200 pounds.
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea!
    I have "nearby" goal clothes ( a specific pair of pants) and "ultimate" goal clothes (a gorgeous satiny stretch dress).
    Those pair of pants used to fit me until 2 months ago, which is the reason why I'm know working on losing weight. I get these out every week and try them on. And I'm glad to say that I fit into them again :D The dress is from a time when I was much thinner, it's new, never been worn at that time. Getting into it would be my ultimate success. But I don't keep it on display because honestly, it might have an opposite effect and demotivate me! So I'm taking baby steps, and selecting different outfits to be my goals at different times for small boosts of motivation :)
  • Creiddylad
    Creiddylad Posts: 27
    Options
    Two years ago, I was out shopping with my parents and found a shirt I really liked. I decided not to buy it that day, but they went behind me and bought it and surprised me with it later. I couldn’t wear it because it was too tight. (I didn't try it on in the store.) I didn’t want to return it, because I really liked it and it already was the biggest size available, so I hung it up in my closet for when I lost weight; which didn’t happen. Last year, both of my parents passed away. That shirt is now hanging up on my wall and is the first thing I see when I wake up. I WILL fit into it. In fact, if I keep losing at this rate, I should be able to wear it by the end of next month! It is my motivation to reach my first mini goal of being less than 200 pounds.

Oh sweetheart, I find that story so poignant. So very sorry to hear you lost both your mum and dad, and such a sweet thing of them to do to go and buy it for you knowing you liked it so much. You will wear that shirt, I'm sure of it!
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    tfw only have clothes that are too big
  • tinnyhinny
    tinnyhinny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of jeans from 6 years ago when I lost 20 pounds before I got pregnant. They were a size 10. I never thought I would ever fit into them again until one day I tried them on. to my surprise they actually fit I was happier than ever. Unfortunately they don't fit now they are way too big. Yeah...... From size 16-6 is a great feeling.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was where you’re at a few years ago. Now I’m wearing a pair of 34 x 34” button up Gap jeans I had in a box from the 80’s. Hang in there ;)
  • inky16
    inky16 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I totally do this, but I hang them in a space near the kitchen so when I am going for that extra cookie that won't fit into my calories for the day, I can stop myself. I think it is totally a useful visual tool!

I had a white sundress that I bought two summers ago in a 12 hanging for like 6 months. Never could get the zipper all the way up. Last weekend, I decided to just try it on for fun - and it zippered! I had no where to wear it, so I just put it on, walked around the house, vaccumed a bit and took it off :)

This made me laugh! Totally sounds like something I would do...

I've never displayed my goal clothes, but now I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea :smile: