How long does it take you to jog/run a mile?

Replies

• mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    I CAN go as fast as 8:30 mile, but I like to pace myself at 10 min miles.
    Otherwise, I can't go farther than the first mile.
    I try to put in 3-3.5 miles when I run.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I think I usually run a 2-3week mile :laugh:
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    i run about 7 minute miles for just one; closer to 8-8:30 when i run 3 or more.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    When I first started I could only walk it, running was far from my mind and on a good day I got a mile done in 15 minutes (4mph). Now I can run and I am really competitive with myself, my best time so far is 12:15, average is 13:30.

I keep a blank calendar and I write in my time and distance and each week I try to beat the previous week by at least a few seconds, every now and then I shock myself and blow it all out of the water (12:15) but the next day I pay for it :ohwell:

Keep it up, you will get faster and faster, just keep challenging yourself and you will be running with the best of them soon (hopefully I will be too :wink: )
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    You made me curious about it, I 've tryed it today:
    Walked at 4.0 m/h 1-st mile 14 min, 2-nd 15 min =117 cals.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    I finally got the chance to run on a track. It took me 8:33 to run a mile, baby, stroller, drinks, snacks and all. I ran a 7:02 in middle school, so I think if I can get under 8 I will have reached a major goal. I WAS VERY SURPRISED BY THIS!!! But very happy!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    I usually run about 10 min miles....if I'm pushing my 48 lb son in his jogger that could slow up a bit....if I'm alone it could be faster....more like 9....and it depends on the weather....I'm comfy at 10-11 right now when Im pushing him.

I feel like when I do speed up my time, 8 min miles....I feel it in my knees more....when I stick at a pace like 10 min miles I feel much better and feel the burn better.....

I've run as fast at 6.5 min miles in races back in the day.....I don't think I'll ever see that again...nor do I want too....well at this point anyway LOL

hugs and Lina I think you're doing amazing girl!!!
    WE ALL ARE!
    Ali :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I'm slow but I just started about a month I'm doing about 12minutes for a mile
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Hmmm....

Just racing a mile? Could probably do a 6 minute mile (but that'd be it for the rest of the day :embarassed: )

When I run track/speed work I'm looking at 7.35 pace.

Long runs I aim for 9.30 for 8 miles plus.

Quick three miler at lunch, 9.00 minute miles.

(And then there's weekends like this one when I didn't even get out the door to run :yawn: )
  • azdin145
    azdin145 Posts: 1 Member
    It depends on your health state too and your training frequency, have a look here to get more details
    how long does it take to jog a mile
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I don't run now, but I went on a stint a couple years back running every day any whete from 5-19 miles.

My first mile would be about 6-7min depending on the day. Then I would just taper off for distance.

When I first started it was just over 15min.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I started at about 17 minutes, too. Old age and crap have got me up to about a week. 1/2 mile 2 days a week.
  • arsook
    arsook Posts: 12 Member
    I can do it in about 12-12.5 minutes...I am training to get it to a 10 minute mile. I usually do a Peloton bike ride and we got a treadmill now and I use the Peloton app to get hit training in. I ran outside yesterday and slowly I am getting faster.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    The rest of my life. My knees are shot and I can't do it. *ba-dum-tsh* Thank you, I'll be here all night.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Track work: 8:10ish?
    With hills and elevation: 5 miles and below around 9:05
    Half marathon mile: depending on elevation anywhere between 9:25-9:55
    Full marathon: 10:30 (goal is 9:55)

Just keep doing what you’re doing. Race against yourself ;)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    From 20 minutes when morbidly obese to 6:50 when overweight.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    My most recent 5k was just under 9 average. My fastest mile in the last 8 months, according to Nike, was 8:30. My goal when I run is 9 minute mile average for 6 miles.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I love hearing all these stories of new runners. I only started in 2016 and I'm in my late 50s. I cross train so that I don't get running injuries. I highly recommend stationary biking on alternate days. Real biking is also great, but the stationary version allows you to do a consistent lightweight ride. (I was doing spin classes before COVID19).

If anyone cares, I started with C25K. For about a year, even doing 5K without stopping was pretty hard, and I shot for anything under 30 minutes on flat terrain, not always making it. My HR would be totally maxed at the end!

I kept at it, raising the mileage first, as is recommended. Eventually, I could run a slow 10K (11mm). After about another year, I could do the 10K at or slightly better than 10mm.

I eventually trained for a hm. I ran it at slightly better than 10mm. My pace goal was 9:30, holding back for the first half of the run. (I was glad I did during the second half!)

My best mile, according to Strava is a 7:48, which I acheived during a mock 5K (solo). I find that kind of funny. Why haven't I done better at an actual 5k (which I've done a lot of).

So, if you're still with me, you can see that just sticking with it and working on slow steady mileage will improve your health greatly! Have at it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    On an "old man" jog that I do every other day, it takes me about 13 minutes. If I actually tried, I'm sure I could get it down to 11, but running really isn't my thing. I do it just to keep variety in my cardio as well as get outside.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If I was doing one mile as fast as I could? Around 7 minutes.

Typical running pace? That will vary by day and the length of my run, but anywhere from 8:30-10 is my usual pace.