Anyone else feel sick from chocolate after eating clean?

Options
13»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    When you make rapid changes in diet, you affect the populations of your different gut flora. If you eliminate certain foods, then the populations of bacteria that are good at processing that food will drastically drop off. Then, when you suddenly reintroduce it, your system can't handle it as well because you severely curtailed that type of bacteria, making the process more difficult for your system.

Luckily, those populations are very quick to come back in healthy individuals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get diarrhea from fatty sugary foods after eating healthily for a while. My body adjusts to low fat and low sugar!

That's pretty typical. Following a lower fat intake, then eating more fat will cause stomach problems. The problem is, that doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. Dietary fat is essential.
    Similarly, many people experience stomach problems when upping their intake of vegetables as well - certainly not "bad" food but can still cause problems. Eat bland food for awhile and add in something spicy, same thing. It is about a swift change in diet from what your stomach is accustomed to, it is not necessarily an indicator of whether something is good or bad.

this.

It makes me crazy when people go on a diet/eat clean/go low fat- then have something they haven't had in a month or two- then get violent GI issues- they blame the food and how it's the devil and how horrible it is for you and swear it off for life because it makes them sick.

It didn't make you sick.

YOU made you sick with your food choices.

You're body will adapt to what ever you ask it to do. So of course it's going to have a fit it's like telling someone who is 350 pounds who hasn't ever run to go run a marathon in a week. of course it's not going to end well- what did you expect?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's the chocolate and not the donut itself?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Reason #916 I'll never eat clean.

This.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I get diarrhea from fatty sugary foods after eating healthily for a while. My body adjusts to low fat and low sugar!
    hmmmmm eat fatty sugary foods after not having for a while and get diaarrhea. Seems like a neat weight loss trick. lol
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Reason #916 I'll never eat clean.

^ This!

OP, "eating clean" will not help you drop a few pounds. Eating at a calorie deficit will.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I will take dark chocolate over a donut anyday
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me if I accidentally eat pineapple.

That shiz is nasty.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's the chocolate and not the donut itself?

Chocolate isn't "clean", therefore by definition it is evil and will kill you.

:smokin:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I only eat clean chocolate.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Maybe it just wasn't a very good donut? So-so donuts can be heavy and greasy and seem to sit in my stomach for days.

And while I've cut down on sweets and baked goods, I'm definitely in the 80/20 (and some days more like 50/50!) camp when it comes to healthful/less-healthful-but delicious stuff.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I consider dark chocolate clean, so no...

Definitely this!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that when I eat a chocolate donut or some chocolate cake after downing 4 oz of Windex, I get major stomach cramps and headaches! I have to eat 3 Magic Erasers just to feel clean again!
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, no...but I did stop drinking soda and I gave in and had a diet soda the other day and boy did it make me feel like crap!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the chocolate it was the grease and other stuff from the donut. Maybe the donut itself.

Whenever I have tried to make my diet supertight because of whatever random diet I was on, I did feel sick when I had the forbidden things. Unsure if my body got used to no bread, or no grease, or no fats or I was just having a mind game with myself brought on by scary food literature. The mind is powerful as evidenced by the placebo effect and self fulfilling prophecy. I see no reason why forbidding one's self strictly from a certain food, especially with any kind of rationale wether logical and airtight, or simply scary propaganda and then allowing yourself to eat it should not produce enough emotional response to make one feel sick. Psychosomatically or otherwise.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I only eat clean chocolate.
    QFT
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is dirty?!? Oh the horror........