what does drink water do for weight loss

Options
or does it do any thing ??:glasses:

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You cannot wash fat out of your body by drinking water any more than you can stand under the shower and wash fat off!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you drink ice cold water your body will burn more calories to heat up the water.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you drink ice cold water your body will burn more calories to heat up the water.

OK... so I might try to work this out....

when you drink "ice cold water" you're not really drinking ICE lets just say the water is about 5˚C

one calorie is the amount of energy used to heat up 1 gram of water by 1 degree

body temperature is 37˚C.....

a pint of water weighs about 568g (apparently)

sooo.... 37 - 5 x 568 = 18,176

so according to my calculations you burn over 18 thousand calories just by drinking a pint of 5˚C water!

.... wait... did I go wrong somewhere?! :p
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your not going to lose fat of course, but by drinking water you can lose weight. The better hydrated you are the less water your body is going to store. So you'll lose weight and maybe be less bloated. So you'll feel better and maybe look better.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

when you drink "ice cold water" you're not really drinking ICE lets just say the water is about 5˚C

so according to my calculations you burn over 18 thousand calories just by drinking a pint of 5˚C water!

Close. It's 18,000 calories, which is 18 Calories
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If I'm guzzling water it keeps me from shoving food down my throat....thats how it helps me!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you think you are hungry, you are actually thirsty. So when your tummy is rumbling try having a drink of water and see if it goes away...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You cannot wash fat out of your body by drinking water any more than you can stand under the shower and wash fat off!

This. Water is not magic. It just hydrates you. As long as your urine is clear to pale yellow, you're getting enough.
  • douglasedward
    douglasedward Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water with meals can help you to slow down and keep you from going back for seconds.
  • OlegChubarov
    Options
    Nothing much, although if you have water with a meal you're obviously not going to have a caloric beverage with your meal as well. Think of every glass of water as a glass of pop or juice that you aren't having. Your body will appreciate it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

This is exactly why cold beer is a zero calorie food. Keep it as cold as possible.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It does nothing directly for weight loss, but indirectly it helps your body's systems function properly and can help you feel more full so you eat less, both of which can affect weight loss.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Haha If only....
    Yes, our food calories are actually kcal=1,000 calories. So you might be able to burn an extra 100kcal in a day by drinking a lot of ice cold water...without drinking enough to do damage.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Two main things it does for me:

1. Keeps me full and not hungry. If I start feeling hungry, I'll drink a lot of water, and voila, no bad snacks for me!

2. Keeps me from drinking coke and other soft drink types. I rarely drink them now; before I'd go through three bottles of diet coke in a week.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Haha If only....
    Yes, our food calories are actually kcal=1,000 calories. So you might be able to burn an extra 100kcal in a day by drinking a lot of ice cold water...without drinking enough to do damage.
    If you stand in 40 degree water all day, you will burn some serious calories, though!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If I drown in water, I'll eventually lose all the weight.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Water and Your Diet: Staying Slim and Regular With H2O

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet
  • Kikilarue59
    Kikilarue59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have found drinking a glass of Hot Water with lemon first thing in the morning it can flush out your system. I drink at least 8 glasses a day. If I have had a lot of sodium that day. the water will help to flush it out. Also, Water does keep you hydrated throughout the day. and it can also make you feel really full.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Why can't I be one of the people who gets full drinking water? :grumble:
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Drinking water feels better for me than drinking lots of diet soda. It can't hurt to drink it ice cold, I don't care about the math, just do what works for me.