Need help with hubbie and kids, please

Options

Replies

• Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't confront your husband directly. Drop little hints like looking at his dinner plant and sighing, or constantly reminding him of how big he his compared to his wedding picture. Also, withhold sex.

Are you serious????? :huh:

OP - My 2 cents worth would be to focus on engaging your kids in helping their own health directly by choosing, buying and preparing meals that aren't going to cause more problems with your Son's IBS and fatty liver condition. If you suspect that your other Son suffers with a similar condition then it may make life alot simpler to work from that premise.

Perhaps your husband would be willing to go and have his health checked too.....Maybe an authoritative voice of a Doctor speaking about the dangers of over ingesting processed food and carrying extra weight will prompt him to reassess his attitude and help you present a united front to the kids. Perhaps enquiring about seeking the help of a dietician to help plan 'friendly' meal options etc could be useful.

I'm sorry that this is happening for you, what a worrying time when someone so young is suffering with ill-health and all it's impacts, they have so many years ahead of them and probably feels pretty tired, ill and run-down. At least now you know the lay of the land and the only way is up.....Try and stay positive as there is SO much you can do to actually help reverse/mange these conditions and issues with both diet and exercise.

Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. Especially about immediately freezing leftovers- would you believe that never even occurred to me?! I think my older boy is a bit interested in what he has to do for his health, at least, I'm trying to encourage that. Thank you all so much.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Divorce, take the kids. Show him you mean business!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Could you plan your meals and have your sons help?

Get them involved so they get to choose some meal items - this will give them a sense of control over the situation.

As far as exercise goes - i'm thinking you could start a chart and you and your kids co uhh left chart your daily exercise/activities- set up a rewards system and when you hit x days you get a non-food reward (go to the movies, something like that).
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Wow, you're in a tough spot. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to eat healthy, lose weight, and keep up with exercise when you're surrounded by three people who do just the opposite. So first of all, congratulations to you for taking charge of yourself!

Of course you can't force your husband and kids to change their lifestyle, but with health problems already an issue, something has to be done. I think that trying to impose those changes would fail -- they would just resent you and rebel. I think it has to come from them. The kids are still kids, but your husband absolutely has to change his lifestyle, if not for himself and his own health, for his wife and his children.

I'm sure there will be lots of heated opinions about this, but I would suggest going to a family counselor -- all four of you -- and talking about the path you're all headed down if your family's lifestyle doesn't change. With high blood pressure and assuming he's about your age, your husband is a heart attack waiting to happen. Does he want to leave his kids without a dad and you without a husband? A 15 year old with fatty liver disease...that absolutely has to change or else he's looking at a short and unhappy life. Your husband and kids have to hear the truth and accept it and realize what needs to be done. If it's coming from a neutral outside party (a counselor), maybe they'll accept it better.

I wish you all the best.

Wow! Best reply I've seen. I add my wishes for the best.
  • Veropal
    Veropal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would recommend family counseling too. He is abusing his health and your children too! Honestly, he is an adult, but he is affecting the children. Why wouldn't he want them to be healthy? I absolutely do not agree with any punishing tactics such as withholding sex or not talking to him about this. Voice your concerns loudly, do what you can with cooking and shopping. Take the kids to the doctor. Have the doc lay out the terms of obesity and health issues. Take yourself and the kids to a counselor.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What do the kids say? Surely they aren't happy being overweight -- I can't imagine a kid, especially a teen, who wants to be fat. Maybe they need someone other than you helping them. Have you considered taking the kids to a nutritionist?

That worked for me with my kid --- as a teen he wasn't terribly interested in anything mom had to say (we're all idiots, don't ya know), but the exact same information coming from his nutrition classes was accepted. And the positive nature of it, versus the 'do you want to die' approach was a good thing. Fast forward two years and my 17 yr old eats so much better now, both in quantity and quality, is way more active in general, plus has started lifting. He's even trying out recipes he gets at the classes - actually making meals himself. He's lost 40 lbs and feels so much better about himself it makes me cry. Maybe it could work for your kids too.

Best of luck to you.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Something I read this week that was a light bulb moment for me... I hope it will help you.

If your child had diabetes, you would get them the insulin they need.
    If your child had asthma, you would get them the inhalers they need.
    If your child had ANY other recognized medical condition, you would not hesitate to call in the doctor and any help you could find. And you would not hesitate to use tough love if needed in order to make sure your child's illness was managed, and you would pursue healing if there was anything out there that offered hope.

So why, as parents, when faced with the medical issue of obesity, and the impending medical issues of obesity-induced disease, do we worry more about their emotional health than their mortality?

If our child was sick, we would not withhold from them any necessary intervention, be it medication or counselling or anything else. And we would not do things that we knew would make the problem worse - we would not feed our diabetic child sugar, we would not smoke around our asthmatic.

Likewise, when we recognize that our child is on a track that will (not may, WILL) lead to lifelong health issues, we must overcome our own fears and hangups and get them the help they need. We need to stop being enablers who set poor examples and who feed our children foods that contribute to their weight problems.

Tough love sucks... and sometimes the frustration will run high enough to make you cry behind closed doors... but it is worth it. You already know your kids' lives are literally at stake. It may take an outsider to help your husband acknowledge what you already know. Best of luck to all of you.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids, but I do have skinny fat husband but can maybe try putting the boys in sports or find a family sport to get together and do like 5k together and just ask dad not to bring the junk food into the house. I can understand if he wants to take the boys out for special activities. Also make small healthy switches like whole wheat breads non sugary drinks non fat milk and over time they could get use to it. Find out what healthy foods they may like and get more of those. I am sure you don't want to be the food police nobody wants to be that. Small changes will add up over time. Teens don't think long term so just explain to them if does become an issue why you want them to be come healthy.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear your dilemma. A colleague of mine when faced with somewhat similar challenges engaged the assistance of their family pediatrician. The doctor referred her to our local pediatric hospital for a special program designed to help families in situations like yours. It includes counseling (as advised by others already), nutrition education, plus an exercise and fitness program. Your sons aren't tiny tykes who you monitor full time and make most of the decisions on behalf of, they're old enough to be out and about making choices on their own. IMHO you need the help of trusted experts, other voices a teenager can perhaps better hear. It's great to have healthy foods at home and be good role models, but trying to control things yourself (portions, healthy choices etc.) enough to effect change isn't likely to be successful but will likely cause tension and frustration. Tricky with teens (and spouses) but you still have a roll to play and it's definitely not too late to empower them with the health knowledge they'll need for life! They're fortunate to have a mom who cares so much and is eager to help them.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Are they in sports or exercise at all? Teens should be in something to keep them active whether it be track, football, karate, anything. They pick but have to pick something. Ask for a referral to a dietician from their pediatrician.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Being the shopper and cook in my family I told everyone one day out of the blue that I was not buying any more junk....period!!! If they wanted it, they would have to get it outside of the house. I threw out all of the junk and replaced it with yogurt, fruit, pop chips, salsa, granola bars, etc. Got rid of the junky cereal and white processed foods. They whined about it for a while then realized I wasn't kidding. My husband ended losing 20 lbs. My daughter lost about 40 lbs and my son about 10 lbs.

Make a decision and stick to your guns.
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying junk. Once in a while I will buy cookies or something but it is rare. No soft drinks either. I still struggle to get my kids to eat really healthy but I know it will take time since most of their lives has been filled with junk. As for exercise that has been easier. I talked my daughter into training for a 5k with me. Told her it was for my health and in reality she has to do what I say anyway so if I say you have to go with me to jog then she has no choice. This is also ontop of the fun activities that they love to do that I always make sure they can do all the time. Like ridding horses for my daughter and swimming for my 5 year old. I even take the 5 year old with me when I jog and have him ride his bike. Don't give up and just keep trying untill you figure out what fits for your family.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you need to do an entire clean out of your cabinets, fridge and freezer. Get rid of all that processed foods and empty calories junk. Then when you go shopping only go by yourself and do the meal planning and preperations. There are many tasty but low cal meal ideas and recipes out there. WHen you do the meal prep and serving of it. Make everyone's plates and immediately freeze any leftover. this way they cant go for seconds. Have a dessert planned too. I like to use sugar free whip cream on top of mixed frozen fruit or some other low cal thing like that. IT has sweetness and fiber and complex carbs. You got to get tricky and replace things with better choices and be all military when it comes to YOUR kitchen. My mom was like that in a way so be that. They will live. THey will ***** and complain but they will live. Add in more protein and fiber to the meals. Make new recipes often but never ever use the words low fat, low calories, diet, fat free, or any other thing like that. Dieting is half psychological and the other half motivation. IF they have neither of these things you can at least sneak it in. IF you buy packages of anything like oreos (I recommend against that stuff but whatever) then as soon as you buy them take some baggies and portion out the entire bag into individual portions. Do this with every thing like chips or crackers, cereal. etc Just remember to keep in mind they are men and men need a higher amount of calories just to maintain their weight then you do. Start a journal. Keep track of what your boys and your husband eat. This is where being military on who enters your kitchen and grabs unauthorized food will come into play. (my mom was so like that, I hated it but I lived) This is your part. Now you really will have to do a family meeting and get them on board eventually. Turn off the tv and plan family outings that involve going for a walk or something. That is free. I like free. My suggestions are what I do. I just have to stress that if they aren't on board then you have to pick and choose your battles. This is why I say never ever say the words diet and all that. Don't tell them how you made yoru new recipes or meals, and don't say its healthy or good for you. Just make it. Men are like Mikey, they eat anything if its good. Just saying. My hubbie is the same way.

PS: if bad foods like oreos, ice cream, etc come into the house. Just throw it away and don't say you are the one who did it. Pretty soon it will be obvious they are just wasting money. I do this if my hubbie comes home with a candy bar he "picked up at the gas station" and if he asks about it I play stupid. He finally got the hint and stopped buying them.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't confront your husband directly. Drop little hints like looking at his dinner plant and sighing, or constantly reminding him of how big he his compared to his wedding picture. Also, withhold sex.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    take a family trip to a dietician. that way it isnt you that is doing this, its a medical professional's advice you are following.

oreos are a part of life, best learn moderation.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Have you met my other half?
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If your husband doesn't seem to be willing to discuss his own weight issues, could you come at it from the angle of 'I'm worried about [our children], and I feel that we all need to make some changes and lead by example for their sake'? That seems to be the most important issue anyway, and it might allow him to make some changes without feeling bad about himself (assuming that's why he's reluctant to admit his eating habits aren't healthy). I don't know if your husband was a big kid while he was in school, but reminding him about how tough it can be to be a fat kid in highschool might also help. I know that I missed out on so much as a kid, just because of my weight and how shallow children can be.

I was thinking the same thing. Start with your kids and get your husband to join your side to save their lives. I mean, that's what's really at risk here. Also, you are the parent so do not allow them to eat junk food. Work with your husband on that and if he insists on having his own junk food, have him hide it or eat it away from home. Again, get him to join you in getting the kids healthy. He will eventually join in for his own good.

I also agree with making smaller portions for meals. I mean, if you have less to go around, will your husband really eat double portions and take away from others? Also, take over grocery shopping and don't buy the bad stuff.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in for ideas, as we're in a similar boat at my house and I need all the ideas I can get .

Not to hijack too terribly but does anyone have any ideas for approaching this with a "we have no health insurance and can't afford the hundreds of dollars it would take to get family counseling or make multiple trips to a dietician" caveat? I know, the most logical answer is "then you can't afford to buy the junk foods either," and I don't, but D(amn) Hubby always seems to find a way...
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice! Throw the bad food away. Its still wasting money if they buy it and eat it but at least you've eliminated the eating part!

Throw it all away! Do it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!