Sciatica pain?

Options
Has anyone else suffered from sciatica? I had a major spasm right before Thanksgiving and I'm finally now starting to feel like myself again. Because of the horrible pain I have not been working out. I guess I'm scared of experiencing that pain again. Any suggestions as to how to get back on track with working out?

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Slow and easy and gradually build up to where you were. If a particular exercise gives you a "twinge", don't do it. Find something else. If your doctor and insurance will cooperate, a visit to a physical therapist can be of great benefit. Ask them to show you how to stretch and move to avoid the pains. Have them suggest some exercises that will not aggravate the situation and prevent future issues.
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine was awful after each of my pregnancies. I went to a massage therapist (obviously felt fantastic after the massage), and she gave me a couple of stretches that have been great! Maybe treat yourself to a massage and ask yours as well.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Hey,

I had it very bad about 5 years ago (from a herniated disc), to the point where I had to get a steroid shot into my spine for it.

There's no "cure", but the shot worked for me. Occasionally it will act up, but I'm back to dancing and running and other exercise.

Take it SLOW and make sure you stretch a lot. You can look up stretches online that will help.

I saw a chiropractor, but I didn't feel they helped me too much. The shot was really what did it. It basically numbed it so the disc could heal itself.

Hope you feel better! I know how bad it sucks.
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have terrible pain. Yoga helps me a lot and is the only thing that gets rid of it. If I am having a spasm, I do down dog position and it immediately relieves the pain.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you too have had that pain. I have it just about everyday when I sit in the car driving to & from work. I was told that you need to at least keep walking and stretching those nerves. Since I walk everyday and do other stretches the pain isn't as bad as it use to be. There are plenty of sites on the net to find out what to do for it and which ones will work for you.

Good Luck, you can keep doing things just becareful

Mary
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had shooting pain during my pregnancy & on and off after. I have found that the elliptical doesn't aggravate it as much as the treadmill does, it actually seemed to loosen things up a little bit. Good luck!
  • Townsend143
    Townsend143 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try acupuncture!! It's the only thing that has helped me! :)