Banking calories

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but since I'm new here and can't seem to find it I thought I would ask. Is it possible to "bank" your calories for certain days and still come out even at the end of the week kind of like on the Point System of that other site? Like today...I have this huge dinner on my plate and I'm not even 1/4 of the way through it and don't want to eat just to eat the calories and I still have 420 left over before I sign off on my food for the evening. I had a medium size lunch and the only thing I had for breakfast was oatmeal because it was a busy morning at work so I'm trying to make up for them tonight at dinner but can't. Will this work?

Thank you so much

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If you do it per week it should work. So in other words, use the same amount of calories in 7 days.

:smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd recommend against it personally, just like banking sleep hours doesn't do a thing for me I need my 7+ hours a night or I'm an utter grump.
    Look at it like your vehicle fuel tank, it only holds so much to get you so far, you try putting more than the tank holds in and it just flows over... ok not the best comparison since you can very easily consume the extra calories but your body takes your extra calories and stores them, so holding your "I was short by 500 calories a day this week for a 3500 calorie splurge.".. you still took in that pounds worth of calories and did it all at once
  • Kella22
    Kella22 Posts: 18
    Options
    Just be careful about not eating enough calories per day. If you don't eat at least 1200 calories a day you can actually stall on your weight loss. Your body might go into starvation mode and store your fat if you don't give it the calories it needs. (Therefore causing you to not lose weight) Your body needs at least 1200 calories a day to keep your metabolism going and just for overall good health.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Im not sure it comes out ok weekly especially if you weigh in weekly its notlike your body says oh its monday weigh in and magically willl lose the extra weight u gained by eating banked calories on lets say a sunday...I do think in the end it may come out ok..but if you weigh weekly you may run into issues depending on the days your eating the banked cals,...hope that made sense under eating will cause u to gain weight and stall on your weight loss mission as well..your body needs fuel daily
  • mistym1967
    Options
    I hadn't planned on do it every time but was just wondering if it would work out. I'm really trying to eat more in the morning but I have never been a big breakfast person and it's really hard since I have to be at work so early in the morning. I'm sure I can find something to munch on tonight like popcorn or something. I will just have to try harder to make sure I'm consuming my allotted calories in a day. Thanks for your help
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think you can zig zag calories and lose wieght, and I also think you can have a cheat day every week which amounts to the same thing. The only problem is that you might have one bad day that turns into two, that turns into 3..............etc

You will find your groove. If you dont lose weight, its not working! :bigsmile:
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow you have done so well. I noticed your post because we are the same height and our goal is the same. Way to go you inspired me. I just signed up yesterday.

I would be afraid that banking may lead to bingeing. I know how many calories, fat grams and so forth I have for the day and so I know I have to eat healthy and careful to stay in the range. Having a lot of extra calories I may end up having too many treats and even going over because I got on a roll with the idea of all the calories I could use. Anyways that is just me.........but then again I have never had any trouble consuming my allotted calories :-)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Okay sorry for the confusion. I noticed sweebum had the same goal as me and that she has already lost over 40 lbs. I thought my post would go to her.
  • mistym1967
    Options
    That's okay not a problem. I know these boards get confusing. I appreciate everyone's input. That's what I love about this site.