Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request.
  • KelleP
    KelleP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just got one today! I'd love some friends too!!
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I welcome anyone who wants to be a Fitbit friend or MFP friend.

Here's my Fitbit profile: https://www.fitbit.com/user/2H6TGF
  • Seagoat0175
    Seagoat0175 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also need some Fitbit friends. This is mainly because I just bought one today and have many questions. Do I wear this all of the time? Do I leave the USB part in my laptop even if I'm going to the gym, work, etc.? How does it determine my calories burned through exercise? I'm at a loss. I was just looking for something to count calories burned at the gym. I did buy a Polar FT4 and it worked for one day. It never picked up my heartbeat again after countless troubleshooting attempts. So, I brought that one back and I picked up the one that was suggested. I'm just completely lost regarding utilizing it. You don't even have to really add me to friends if you don't want to, but if someone could give me some tips that would be awesome as well as very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Jen
  • kristy6ward
    Options
    Jen, which model did you get? Flex, One, Zip? Yes, you should wear it all the time. Yes, you can leave the usb bit plugged in at all times. It's what picks up the signal from your fitbit and auto syncs it to the website if you don't have another bluetooth device, like a smart phone. It determines calories burned based on your bmr it calculated from your statistics that you entered. It can measure any step based exercise like running or walking, but you'll have to enter your own burn information for anything else like cycling, swimming, lifting. I don't even log exercise anymore, I just let my fitbit auto add any adjustments to my calorie goal.
  • amhafford
    amhafford Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit! feel free to add me too, everyone!! https://www.fitbit.com/user/296B5F
  • hpaschetag
    hpaschetag Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I could use some more fitbit and mfp friends.
    https://www.fitbit.com/user/2G54RC
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    www.fitbit.com/user/2BJV8Z

Happy to add some fresh active friends and answer questions. I have been using my flex since January.
  • cyndiee1
    cyndiee1 Posts: 24
    Options
    https://www.fitbit.com/user/27Q5H4

I've been using a Flex since October. Happy for fitbit and MFP friends :)
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been using my Flex for a couple of weeks and I LOVE it! https://www.fitbit.com/user/2QJC5F
  • crossfire266
    Options
  • Seagoat0175
    Seagoat0175 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting the FitBit One. I wanted something to show calories burned while doing classes like Zumba, Body Works Plus Abs and things like that. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how many calories and other things to put back in after I've exercised. One day, I don't think that I took in enough calories after the gym and I felt horrible the next day; just really out of energy. It was bad. I also want to do more than just exercise on machines to get a number. It gets pretty boring. Classes are really fun, but again, there is no way of tracking it for me. My USB for the FitBit One is in my laptop at home. I do have a smart phone, I'm just not sure how to hook things up to it to make it work. The only things that I've figured out so far is that it syncs and updates when i'm close by my devices. I've also figured out the silent alarm thing. That was pretty neat. I know my boyfriend appreciated it, as we work different hours Lol
    I'm wearing it now, because I've read that I should, I'm just not sure why. I was wondering if I was supposed to just look at calories burned before a class then subtract that number by what it says after a class to get a total? I've already set it up with MFP. I guess that I'm just confused on how to make it work for what I need it for. Also, if i don't have it in my phone but it's capable, how do I make that work for me? By the way, thanks for responding to my questions. I appreciate it :)
  • kristy6ward
    Options
    The fitbit is an overall activity monitor, it estimates calories burned throughout the entire day from you just going about your normal routine, that is why you wear it at all times. It is different from a heart rate monitor, in that the hrm is just used to measure a certain activity and will be more accurate with calorie burn estimations for activities that aren't step based. The fitbit can't tell how much effort you exerted beyond speed. It doesn't know how heavy they weights you lifted were. That being said, you can create an activity recording with the fitbit one. It will keep track of duration, steps and calories burned during that time. You press and hold the button until the display flashes, and press and hold again to end the recording. This is the same function used to record sleep.

If you have mfp and the fitbit site linked, there will be a calorie adjustment on mfp based on the calories burned during that recording. You can cancel out fitbit's adjustment, but entering the activity on mfp for that exact same time and duration and enter your own calorie burn.

As far as my settings go, I don't allow negative adjustments from fitbit. Mfp is set at a base of 1620, about 100 cals over my bmr. If i earn more from what my fitbit says.. yay. But I will never eat below my bmr. That being said, I use mfp as my base calories, but i closely monitor my fitbit meal plan and try to stay "in the zone" as much as possible. This worked very well when I was on point with my diet. I've gotten lazy since the start of summer though and am having trouble reigning in my diet.

It sounds as though, a fitbit may not be the device for you if all you're looking for is a device to tell you how many calories you burned during your workouts. It's too bad your polar hrm didn't work out for you, because that is it's purpose. But you should definately give your fitbit a try. I've stopped using my hrm altogether and just rely on fitbit.. if i end up burning a bit more from my exercise that is beyond fitbits scope I consider it a bonus. Also, the stair climbing goal is really motivating to me.. i just received my 100 flights in a day badge as well as a lifetime badge for reaching 2000 flights, pretty cool!
  • kristy6ward
    Options
    To make it work with your smart phone, you will have to check the fitbit site for compatibility. Then you just have to download the fitbit app and log into your account.
  • kristy6ward
    Options
    I feel like i hijacked the thread a bit. I'd be happy for fitbit friends. I have a One with a step goal of 10,000 a day. Sometimes I reach it. Tell me to get off my bum if you see me slacking! lol

https://www.fitbit.com/user/2CGBDX
  • stephaniegeorgechambers
    Options
    I had the fitbit force until I had a skin reaction to it but replaced it with the Fitbit One and love it. I've linked my Fitbit and Runtastic Apps to Myfitnesspal and it has really helped me reach my goal.

Please considering friending me as I love the interaction and support of people with the common goal of health and fitness. Thanks!
  • KelleP
    KelleP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Okay, I figured out my code:

www.fitbit.com/user/2RN764