Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    my ex is 5'8 and 140lbs he doesnt look skinny to me
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. Looks like the overall message is to start strength training right away.

I am in the planning stages of this change as with two toddlers adding something new into our daily routine takes planning. Besides I am vegan so I really need to plan my diet and workouts carefully.

Thanks again.

Find a reasonable gym with a daycare. It's awesome. My kids like it too.
  • joelgriffiths
    joelgriffiths Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has really good workouts. My personal favorite is a 5 day split (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw41.htm - 3rd place routine), but they have routines for every split you can think of. You might want a 3 day split with kids. I would personally save money on day care and buy some duct tape instead.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ...Like other posters mentioned, start lifting now, and lift heavy.

Lift smart, don't worry about heavy. Jumping straight to heavy is risky. Just swing one toddler in each arm, they'll have fun and you'll get a workout.

I agree. Get your form right first. Jumping right to "heavy" without learning the proper form is a recipe for a painful injury.

I'm 5'10", 163 lb, 8% bf, 31" waist. You can look lean and very muscular at 155-160 lbs. I lift 3X a week, for about 30 minutes, with cardio on alternating days, and one day off entirely. It doesn't take a lot of work, or hours slaving away at the gym if you do it right, and - very important - get the nutrition right.

Good luck!

Yes, what they said. I'd been lifting moderately for five years before going heavy so the transition was easier. Lift safely, but start to lift now to minimize muscle loss as you continue to lose weight.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No, not really. It'd be too low for my own preference, but yeah. It's fine.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i think that is a perfect weight. also, i really don't agree with the height weight chart that doctor's use. im 5'5 and 217. the only area that shows my weight is my belly, rest of me is fine and pretty well defined.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It depends on body type.

I'm 5'9
    Currently ~180

At my lowest I weighed 168 ~8%bf size 30/31 pants

I personally wouldnt be able to get lower than that without losing a lot of leg muscle (i got a donkay)

I like being between 170-175
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    No way man. You're good.

I'm 6'0 and a lot lighter. My goal is to reach 150+
    Recovering from spinal fusion (scoliosis) so It might take a while.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This morning I finally dipped below 155 lbs. I feel great, wears 32" pants and overall I think I look smart. There is still some more fat around belly which I hope to get rid of very soon.

Now the question - Is 155 lbs too low for a male who is 5' 8" tall?

My plan is to get down to 150 lbs and then start strength training.

It's not necessarily too light. But you don't want to diet your way down to that weight without also strength training b/c at this point you're going to be losing a lot of muscle along with the fat.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This morning I finally dipped below 155 lbs. I feel great, wears 32" pants and overall I think I look smart. There is still some more fat around belly which I hope to get rid of very soon.

Now the question - Is 155 lbs too low for a male who is 5' 8" tall?

My plan is to get down to 150 lbs and then start strength training.

I don't think 155 lbs is too light for someone your height, by any means. My fiance is 6' tall and 145 at the moment, and I think he looks pretty good like that (he's a naturally slim, wiry guy but does have muscles). An ex boyfriend of mine was your height and I think around 135-- he was skinny but also had muscles from a lot of hiking.

Sounds like your goal of 150 is reasonable, to me.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, on my first weight loss journey I got down to 141, I didn't look skinny, just felt undersized, but I didn't want to be much leaner than that. I think I'm best around 150, I bulked up, Now my new goal is to get down to 147 or below, Eat a whole Large Pizza, and thats the weight I should be!
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    if you dont lift, no it is ok. if you do lift, youre borderline
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You're in a healthy range, but it totally depends on your build and body type.
    My husband is 5'8" but built like a power lifter. He has a large, very dense/heavy bone structure and a ton of muscle mass. I can't even imagine him at 155; his ideal weight is 195ish. He's one of those people that BMI just does not work for.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Rather than giving weight/height, how much fat is on your stomach? I believe that's a better measure of how much you want to lose.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'10 and 155 pounds (and still cutting) and I doubt anyone would consider him 'too skinny'. So no, it's not 'too low' but it really depends on what you think about yourself
  • mark2479
    mark2479 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your stats based on charts I've seen, seem to indicate that you are in the normal range. Yet, actually I have no idea what to tell you for sure, as to what's normal. I'm beginning to wonder about myself, as I'm 5' 9", 150 lbs. and have a 26" waist. I wear 27-28 inch jeans. I do not fit into any of these charts.

I would guess that I'm like the previous post; small boned and slim, with muscles. I don't work out a lot, but lift heavy plants and equipment at my job.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. BTW Jimmy Stewart weighed 135 lbs when he got started in Hollywood (and he was 6'3"). B)
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on your build. My husband is 5'10" and looks good between 145 and 150.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not too skinny brother; but BF % is more my goal than weight - however, to each their own
  • mbeis04
    mbeis04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    150lbs ova here