Parents of Type 1 diabetic children

Options
Hello There!! I was thinking about when my daughter at the age of 12 was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and how scary it was! She is now almost 16 and is doing great! I remember when we were in the hospital there was a young boy 5 years old, who was diagnosed as well. I think of him every so often how hard it must have been for his family dealing with this at such a young age.

So I just want to put it out there if any of you have a diabetic child and have any questions please feel free to add me and/or send me a message or just reply right here! I would love to help! This disease is not a death sentence and very managable. Ok Don't worry it WILL be OK!! :smile:
Jena:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Chrissy721
    Options
    Hey! My son is 10 yrs and was dx 3 yrs ago. He started out on injections and switched to the pump in April of 2010. I feel like he had more control on the injections vs. the pump and am having trouble keeping his A1C under 8. Do you mind sharing with me which method your daughter uses and how it is working?
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Amber was on a pump for about a year. She was put On the pump because her numbers were really good all the time. Well with the pump her numbers went higher to the point my husband said take her off. But it's not so easy to say just take away the $6500 miracle machine right? Well she went swimminng with the pump on(which we were told was ok) after that it quit working her new endo is not a big fan of the pump(why fix if it if it's not broken type) so he was more than happy to switch her back to the insulin pens and good ol fashioned needles. She has been "off the pump" (:tongue: ) for a while now and her numbers have been really good.
    So in our experience she did and does much better with pens and needles versus the pump.
    Maybe by the time the are adults they'll have figured it out and made a better pump!!
    I know that the pump is a little more convenient but at the end of the day we want those #'s right!!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hey I will add you if that's cool. My wife is a type 1 and was diagnosed at the age of 10. She is 26 now and doing well. We are trying to prepare to get pregnant in the future so everything has to be perfect. She is on the pump and found that her numbers came down considerably by using it. But it takes a long time to re adjust to the amount of insulin needed and to learn how to bolus properly. Before the pump her A1C was running around 11...now it's under 8 which is amazing.

Hope to keep in touch!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Hey I will add you if that's cool. My wife is a type 1 and was diagnosed at the age of 10. She is 26 now and doing well. We are trying to prepare to get pregnant in the future so everything has to be perfect. She is on the pump and found that her numbers came down considerably by using it. But it takes a long time to re adjust to the amount of insulin needed and to learn how to bolus properly. Before the pump her A1C was running around 11...now it's under 8 which is amazing.

Hope to keep in touch!
    well actually I think that makes perfect sense I think when your a little older and more responsible with the pump it could be very effective! Amber was almost 13 when dx ( she went into Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) thats how we found out) she got off to a great start but was a full blown teenager :ohwell: who was lazy with using the pump correctly. When it comes too diabetes as I an sure your wife can tell you whatever works best IS best for that individual!
    Good Luck TTC!!:smile: