Is it worth it

Options
124»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My son drinks soda every day. He is perfectly healthy, and has never had a cavity at 14.
    its so so bad for them. And a horrible habit to start so young. So his doctor says it's healthy??

What is so bad about soda? The sugar content? Koolaid and apple juice have just as much sugar if not more.
    We never got soda when we were kids because my parents couldn't afford it. We grew up on Koolaid and iced tea, and milk. We all ended up obese as adults.
    The only difference in soda is that it has carbonated water in it. If someone is drinking on it all day long, then the acid might erode their teeth. The added calories might cause weight gain. But my son drinks one can of grape soda at dinner. No biggie. He also does not eat any vegetables. But neither does my husband. My husband races bikes and is in perfect health. Son is 5'4" and 105 lbs. They both take vitamins.
    I eat plenty of veggies and fruits and all the 'right' foods, yet at my heaviest was almost 100 lbs overweight and prediabetic.
    Would I like for them to eat some veggies every once in a while? Sure. But they are both Aspies and you don't force Aspies to do anything they don't want to do. As long as they are healthy and at a healthy weight, they are fine.

Oh great, I am starting to sound like one of those IIFYM people!:grumble: :noway: :laugh:
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Why be on Op's case about yelling at her kids, seriously. Her whole point is she needs and wants to be less HANGRY so that she doesn't lose it over minor things. Anyone who says they have never yelled at their kids is either a liar or a VERY patient person (sure, it's possible). Be helpful and help her fix it, not critical of her parenting.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    edit: never mind, don't want to fight with anyone, just want to help Op
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Regarding time, are any of the kids old enough to help with food prep? We did the food prep growing up and my Mom supplied the brains making oh so delicious meals.

You should definitely get some exercise. Your kids may be somewhat innocent in this, but nothing like punching and kicking or throwing your weight or some heavy chit around to help you deal with annoying people. Exercise: it's therapy, yo!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    other parents are *kitten*. typical "i raise my kid better than you raise your kid" bull****.

Hahahah. I like the website you posted , too. :).
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The smaller you get the worse it will get.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would be starving and murdery, just all the time.

:laugh: Me too. And this is why I had to switch over to healthier food choices. Jail would suck!
    now thats funny!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters. Rethink your choices.

Also, yelling and swearing at your kids? Yikes. Textbook hangry right there.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if it's worth it. Right now by the sounds of your posts you don't think it is, maybe you aren't ready. Does it take time to get started? Yeah, it did for me, I had no idea how to make better food choices, read labels, cook a decent healthy dinner everyday, so yes it was a time investment to find new healthier alternatives, try new recipes, etc.. But I made the time because I wanted needed to invest in my health for myself and my kids.

Hell yeah I'd be crabby if all I had for dinner was apple juice! Take some time to plan meals for the week, making better food choices will give you more volume of food and more protein to keep you feeling full.

Yes, I'm a mom, wife, work full time - I make time.
    For me, it's absolutely been worth all my time invested in myself.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure what I can add that hasn't been said. I just want to offer you some encouragement in what is obviously a time of turmoil and stress. Just keep reminding yourself "this too shall pass".

Personally I wouldn't worry so much about hitting a calorie goal right now. But focus on something small that sets you up for success. Like taking your lunch to work one day a week. Do that for a month. Once you've figured out what's easy to prepare and you'll eat just build on that. You're in it for the long haul and that weight isn't going anywhere.

Yes, it's worth it. But you need to re-prioritize and take better care of yourself or you're no use to anyone.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You are ready for a total redo of both your diets and your children.
    Why are they drinking soda in the first place/ It should be a very occasional-couple times a year-treat.
    Mine drink Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew because they like them and, even at a few times a week, those drinks are a very small part of their overall diet. "Should" makes your statement sound more like a fact than the opinion it really is.
    a few times a week is too much for a kid. Of course they enjoy them.
    I think you meant to say it is too much for your kid. You don't know me or mine.

One is 5' 11" and 152 pounds. The other is 5' 7.5" and 112 pounds. Neither has ever had a cavity. Both eat plenty of nutritious food, both are slim, both are active, both do extremely well in school, and both are healthy according to their doctor.

You literally have no basis on which to judge whether their Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew intake is "too much."
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are ready for a total redo of both your diets and your children.
    Why are they drinking soda in the first place/ It should be a very occasional-couple times a year-treat.
    Mine drink Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew because they like them and, even at a few times a week, those drinks are a very small part of their overall diet. "Should" makes your statement sound more like a fact than the opinion it really is.
    a few times a week is too much for a kid. Of course they enjoy them.
    I think you meant to say it is too much for your kid. You don't know me or mine.

One is 5' 11" and 152 pounds. The other is 5' 7.5" and 112 pounds. Neither has ever had a cavity. Both eat plenty of nutritious food, both are slim, both are active, both do extremely well in school, and both are healthy according to their doctor.

You literally have no basis on which to judge whether their Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew intake is "too much."
    I admit I an judgemental when it comes to kids and soda. I dont agree with it, but I'm sure there are plenty of things I do that others would disagree with. I'm a nurse and don't know any doctors that would encourage it. I would be interested in any studies saying soda is fine for kids. I've seen some lately saying the caffeine and other ingredients can be damaging to kids under 18 hearts (I believe increase blood pressure and decreased heart rate I'd have to find the article again). I've never been a soda drinker and my kids don't like/want it for now. I do drink a cup of coffee a day so I'm not anti caffeine, just dont believe kids need it. I personally don't think even skinny kids need it. My sons friend is skinny as a rail and drinks mt dew for breakfast every day. Rough start to the morning IMO. I'd be interested in hearing about any pediatrician who go condones soda in kids under 18!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    But it's just sugar water. Your kids don't eat any sugary product? Now that's scary!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So I have been on and off trying to get my weight under control since my first kid. I have actually been using MFP consistently for the last month or two and making slow but steady progress. What I can't seem to do is not be hungry and be anywhere near my daily calorie goal. I wake up with my tunny talking to me and I get to listen to it all day. As such I have noticed my moods are way worse too. Sure, I am down a few pounds, but I can't remember the last day I didn't loose my temper at my kids. My ability to look at the car covered in soda and calmly tell them to get a towel is gone and replaced with screaming things like "Clearly you are to f****** incompetent to have a cup in the car. No more drinks in my car ever!"

Is it worth it? Is it worth being constantly hungry and grumpy and stressed and tired all the time just to loose weight? So far the journey has brought me nothing but constant frustration from not being able to pull out of my PMS type mood for over a month to irritation with the "good" things, like my pants being looser thus needing to be pulled up constantly. What good does being healthier and living longer do if to be healthy and live longer the sacrifices you have to make to get you there make you miserable?

I don't think that verbal abuse of children can be justified by a calorie deficit. I think you need to get some professional help.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ok as a busy mum of 3 i totally get it , at 1200 calories that's the me you just described ive now got more active i eat more and im happy and if im hungry i look at filling low cal things. Youre a mum so im sure you've done shopping on a tight budget well that's how i treat MFP i wanna get as much food as i can within my calories it takes planning thinking and knowledge so i would look at your goal and see where you can free up calories. The whole point is to make life better through being healthy its tough but i would recalculate the goal also i find junk food =junk mood so eat nutritious foods that lift you
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    What "other ingredients"?

As far as caffeine, they -- and the entire South -- drink ice tea year round, and certainly in enough volume to ingest more total caffeine from tea than from Dr Pepper. Is that also problematic, in your view?

Maybe when doctors get off the "eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad" (same with fat, salt, and any number of other things) merry-go-round, I'll be more concerned about their input on every diet question. In the meantime, 150 calories and some caffeine and carbon dioxide a few times a week isn't going to wreck their lives, so they'll go right on drinking it as long as everything else stays in order.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing about any pediatrician who go condones soda in kids under 18!
    My daughters' pediatrician "condones" it. She also "condones" Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla and the occasional chocolate chip cookie. She understands that not every part of a diet is the whole diet and that it is imminently possible to have a healthy diet even if every part of that diet wouldn't be ideal if it were the entire diet.

I can give you her name and phone number, if you like.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump