regain weight after rapid loss

Options

Replies

• JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    yes i am under a doctor care i was on 1000 calorie diet but for some circumstances i wanted to lose weight quickly so for the last 2 weeks i changed it to 600 calories i am feeling very healthy you know what i am running this regime while studying very hard as i am taking the finals exams now

You can lose 44 lbs in a month if you are extremely heavy and you get one of those weight loss surgeries I think. I've seen it but only on extremely heavy people..... like 400 lbs plus.
  • turpenoid
    turpenoid Posts: 73
    Options
    well i have booked an appointment with my doctor in 2 days , i will inform you with the results

Yeah, I think this question is in need of a medical professional's opinion. It's hard to believe you lost that much weight in a healthy way, but we don't know your circumstances or reasoning. Be thorough and express your goals/concerns to your doctor. Best wishes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fyi- In case anyone is wondering, why I can't just take off the weight fast, in 1 month now... I WISH that I could still lose weight that fast, but I can't anymore. I was super healthy in NY, moved to GA, where, unbeknownst to me, I was exposed, for a long time, to lots of toxic chemicals, heavy metals, pesticides, mercury, black mold and Candida, that made me quite sick and I gained 50 lbs in only 3 months...and I kept on gaining, no matter what I did or ate, or even if I exercised... Nightmare! I used to be very active and these toxins make me nauseaus and exhausted, every day, in addition to the awful weight gain. :embarassed: Just diagnosed and it is extremely difficult to take any weight off now, for a variety of reasons. So, please don't take your good health for granted. :bigsmile: And, if you are having a really hard time taking off your weight, for no apparent reason, you may have what I have. :angry: It took me a LONG time to figure it out... :ohwell: Good luck everybody! :flowerforyou:

All those environmental toxins in one place? I'm going to suggest you are being scammed by a "naturopath". Candidiasis? Not buying it.

Yep
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    i trained a lot in that mounth and i dont think that its water loss i drink about 8 liters of water a day i am having a 600 calorie diet per day and run 2 hours every day

Ok so 1 - 600 calories? That's like my lunch . . .

2 - how do you even have energy to do this?

3 - the picture you have posted, you do not look like a small person (just being objective) so by doing this to your body, you are making your body anorexic. I am not PROMOTING this and I do not want to start anything but by cutting so drastically even people who were "big" to begin with will cause their body horrible shock. 600 calories/day is just not enough for a grown man, period. Our bodies need fuel and being bigger to begin with, even simple small changes will shock your body into weight loss at first because your body really isn't used to it.

4 - 8L of water/day? How can you get anything done? I drink 3 - 4 and somedays I feel like I have to pee all the time

5 - your profile says 37 lbs lost . . . something is inaccurate here.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    yes i am under a doctor care i was on 1000 calorie diet but for some circumstances i wanted to lose weight quickly so for the last 2 weeks i changed it to 600 calories i am feeling very healthy you know what i am running this regime while studying very hard as i am taking the finals exams now

You can lose 44 lbs in a month if you are extremely heavy and you get one of those weight loss surgeries I think. I've seen it but only on extremely heavy people..... like 400 lbs plus.

It can happen when someone has WLS buuut when that happens, they are also losing muscle mass too. I know someone who had gastric bypass and she regrets it daily - she can't eat very much, feels sick a lot of the time, no energy to lift any more. It's crazy!

But anyways, you'd have to be like 400 lbs + to have this kind of change and it would be at first, which would slow over time. If he did have WLS then it's possible it happened and there could be more to his situation than he's saying.
  • FeistyGirl007
    FeistyGirl007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TO EVGENIZYNTX
    > Please do not assume I was "scammed". You sound extremely ignorant and are acting like a Bully and a coward behind a computer screen. You know nothing about me. I was super healthy and now I am extremely sick. I dont drink, smoke, do drugs or party. Never have. Never will. I dont even take aspirin. There is only 1 variable here. I was in a "perfect storm" of EVERYTHING TOXIC, ALL AT ONCE. If you don't believe me, I do not care. I do not have anything to prove to anyone. I would give anything to go back in time do things differently. I was around people like you and that is why I got sick. I never took this stuff seriously and now, I am paying the consequences. I pray no one in your family has to go through what I have to go through, on a daily basis. You have no compassion and I feel very sorry for you. Very sorry for you. Never assume. You know what that makes you...

And, of course you can lose 30 lbs in 1 month and keep it off. I don't lie. I don't need to lie. Just because some of you people haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it can't happen or isn't true.... Sheesh... That lady said she lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks from her divorce. Of course, it's possible. Who are you people, anyway?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm quite entertained by all the people saying you can lose a lot if you are 400+lbs blah blah blah. Most seem obvious as never having been over 400lbs...

Eating a gastric bypass style diet without doing surgery, I lost 30+ pounds in about a month, a little more. The problem ends up being that you regain the minute you increase you calories, if you do not step it up gradually.

OP, when you are on a medically supervised diet of 1000 calories for a short period of time, that is acceptable and such, as long as you were advised of proper supplementation. However, altering that plan without speaking with your physician, especially when you'd only been on the plan for 2 weeks prior to making the change, puts you at risk. Your doctor would have designed a plan for you expecting you to eat those 1000 calories. Cutting to 600 is almost halving that plan, and would completely change the supplementation necessary to support your body during this phase.

I do not condone VLCD generally, but when medically supervised, I can accept it. Except, of course, when the patient is not following the protocol and potentially risking their health. People need to understand that while heavy people may be able to lose faster, there are secondary health issues that can occur from rapid weight loss, and pushing your body to lose faster than planned by your physician directly impacts the medical stability of the plan.

If you do not continue seeing a nutritionist and adjusting supplementation, you will likely suffer refeeding syndrome. You will need to do a careful and steady, small increase to intake plan in order to return to a more reasonable diet for your size to avoid most of the weight gain... but the reality is, the further down you cut, the further your metabolism will adapt, and you can regain quickly if you go from 600 calories per day to even 1500 calories a day (I mean doing this suddenly; as in, if you eat 600 calories a day for 2 weeks, don't start day 1 after those two weeks at 1500... increase 100-200 a day). Be honest with your doctor and get some help.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, there's no way anyone can tell me they lost 44 (or 30) pounds in a month. I have lost 10 pounds in a month & my nutritionist & doctor kept asking me if I was okay (I also stopped losing for about 6 weeks afterward). OP you should really go to your doctor to make sure ecerything is okay. Just to put your mind at ease. Best of luck!

not impossible... the bigger you are, the easier it comes off initially.... when I was nearly 300 pounds, I lost 1- 1.5 pounds a day when I first began to work out.... it eventually leveled off and the closer I got to normal BMI, losing a half pound a week became difficult....

It can come off very quickly if your very heavy. I've dropped a bit over 35 lbs in a month before...never 40+. But everyone is different. When he weighed in he might have just been eating some salty foods and retained a lot of water. In a very obese person, water can account for 20 lbs easy.

As for the OP:

You aren't going to magically regain the weight. If you go over your maintence calories you will gain the weight back. If you don't you won't. You'll probably have some hydration related fluctuations.

As for muscle loss, of course you lost a little, but that always happens when there is weight loss, as the body needs less muscle mass in particular areas to support a body that weighs less. But don't listen to people who tell you that you can't burn fat on low calories. You can and you do. That is the entire purpose of your body storing fat. "Starvation mode" and metabolism of lean tissue are both massively misunderstood and massively exaggerated around here. The metabolism of muscle is a different metabolic process than the metabolism of fat, and becomes more of an issue after long term caloric deprivation...which is ACTUAL starvation, as opposed to the sensationalized short term "starvation mode" that people here think they can throw themselves into within a week.

The myth mostly comes from the fact that you metabolize glycogen that is stored in the muscles and liver right away. Which is not the same thing as any kind of significant lean tissue metabolism at all. Basically a low calorie diet is ketogenic, and targets adipose tissue, though of course there is always some associated muscle loss.

To be clear, I'm not condoning what your doing here. I've been down the same road, and while it is effective so long as you don't go into a yo-yo cycle, its also not optimal for health. Not at all.

Basically, don't eat too much, and you won't gain it back. Start slowly adding calories until you find a level that maintains.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    TO EVGENIZYNTX
    > Please do not assume I was "scammed". You sound extremely ignorant and are acting like a Bully and a coward behind a computer screen. You know nothing about me. I was super healthy and now I am extremely sick. I dont drink, smoke, do drugs or party. Never have. Never will. I dont even take aspirin. There is only 1 variable here. I was in a "perfect storm" of EVERYTHING TOXIC, ALL AT ONCE. If you don't believe me, I do not care. I do not have anything to prove to anyone. I would give anything to go back in time do things differently. I was around people like you and that is why I got sick. I never took this stuff seriously and now, I am paying the consequences. I pray no one in your family has to go through what I have to go through, on a daily basis. You have no compassion and I feel very sorry for you. Very sorry for you. Never assume. You know what that makes you...

And, of course you can lose 30 lbs in 1 month and keep it off. I don't lie. I don't need to lie. Just because some of you people haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it can't happen or isn't true.... Sheesh... That lady said she lost 30 lbs in 2 weeks from her divorce. Of course, it's possible. Who are you people, anyway?

I thought you got sick from all the toxins? Was it the people or the toxins?

I think the point is that it is difficult to lose it in a healthy way. Stress, illness and poverty are not healthy ways to lose weight. Neither is starving yourself... which could be thought of, essentially, as a different kind of stress and illness.

Also, regarding the comments about that nice long list of "toxins," I tend to agree that it sounds a bit over the top. Especially because you were listing things you seem to consider environmental issues, but a candidiasis isn't an environmental issue so much as a lifestyle and diet issue. One can assume certain things about your life during that time based on the yeast infection alone, that would have precipitated great weight gain... and it has nothing to do with black mold or any of those other things. Candidiasis is most often caused by excessive alcohol use, high stress, and extended antibiotic use... All of which cause significant weight gain.

That being said, this thread is about the OP's concerns. As far as I could tell, the long responses didn't add much to the conversation. I'm sorry you reacted so strongly to someone expressing a reaction to your list... But the whole "environmental toxins ruined my life" thing is a constant root story for scams and product-promotion that many of us have heard before.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    TO EVGENIZYNTX

... Calling people bullies and worse because they disagree with you does nothing for your point lady. Forget supposed unnatural toxins there are natural ones all around us and in our food all the time. That's what our liver and kidneys are for.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is too low. Yes you may in fact regain weight, it's natural.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    TO EVGENIZYNTX

Evgeni is probably one of the least "bullying" people on this board. It's because he has compassion that he doesn't want to see people scammed by practitioners of pseudoscience who prey on the desperate. Nothing he said was bullying, and labeling it as such trivializes the experience of people who really are dealing with bullying.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    44lbs in a month... Wow!

:ohwell:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    My granma lost over 60lbs in a month after her triple bypass. Most of it was fluid. She has a big problem with retention
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    i trained a lot in that mounth and i dont think that its water loss i drink about 8 liters of water a day i am having a 600 calorie diet per day and run 2 hours every day
    Oh my goodness, 600 calories is too few, especially with running two hours a day. Why did you cut calories so drastically? Are you under a doctor's care?

That's crazy. :frown:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Find your new maintenance level. Eat around that level to maintain.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    TO EVGENIZYNTX

:indifferent:
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't know anyone who can run for two hours every day on a 600 cal diet, but I would love to lose 30 pounds in a month, not gonna lie. Won't drop to 600 cals though.

Do you have loose skin with that kind of rapid loss?
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Look at my food diary. I measure my food so it's pretty accurate. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 days. Most of that will be water from excess sodium. I am 5" 10" 278lbs and eat between 2100-2700 calories a day. I expect to lose 2-3 pounds a week this way. I understand you want to lose weight fast. If you're obese, you can manage 3-5 lbs a week with a 2000 cal diet. Lift weights (if doctor approves). Drinking lots of water doesn't mean you can't lose water weight. Water weight comes from sodium in the body and it increases the volume of fluid pumped through your circulatory system. If you decrease it to 1.5-2.2g a day from a typical 5g+ day, you will notice.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Evgenizyntx isn't bad because he's a bully and coward hiding behind a computer screen. He's bad because he hates Amurika.