Stationary bike calorie burn discrepancy

Options
carrieous
carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
why is there such a big discrepancy between what MFP tells me I burned doing 20 mins on a stationary bike (244) vs what the bike tells me (144)? Both MFP and the bike know I am 150 lbs- and I use a resistance of 14-17 so I am not just going for a leisurely stroll. Its hard work! I believe the bike (144) before MFP (244) but was just curious if anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• DuncanDoughboy
    Options
    I have the same question. A 60 min workout on a Cybex 750R (recumbent) with my correct weight entered told me when I finished that I burned 250 calories but when I enter MFP routine (stationary bike at 12 to 14 mph for 60 min) it said I burned 800 calories. Quite a difference. Which is correct??
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Honestly they are all just painfully bad estimates. One person sitting on a bike can and will burn a different amount than another person on the same bike with the same settings.

It's probably best to take the bikes estimate as "closer" since it knows the specific intensity you rode at but even then take it with a grain of salt.

Weight loss is a huge business for everyone but the overweight. Foods are nearly always labeled to err on the side of lower calories / fat and exercise equipment often takes the best case caloric burn for their estimates. People will spend more for a bike that lies to them about the calories burned just as they will pay more for food that lies to them about the calories inside it.

While it's nice to have some guide posts, the reality is that you should try to get as much exercise as you healthily can while you eat the most nutritious foods you can only in the quantities needed to sustain your physical needs.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Honestly they are all just painfully bad estimates. One person sitting on a bike can and will burn a different amount than another person on the same bike with the same settings.

It's probably best to take the bikes estimate as "closer" since it knows the specific intensity you rode at but even then take it with a grain of salt.

Weight loss is a huge business for everyone but the overweight. Foods are nearly always labeled to err on the side of lower calories / fat and exercise equipment often takes the best case caloric burn for their estimates. People will spend more for a bike that lies to them about the calories burned just as they will pay more for food that lies to them about the calories inside it.

While it's nice to have some guide posts, the reality is that you should try to get as much exercise as you healthily can while you eat the most nutritious foods you can only in the quantities needed to sustain your physical needs.

sounds like you agree with me about trusting the bike and not MFPs estimation. 100 calories in 20 minutes is a huge difference!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've seen the same problem with the numbers from MFP. I've used my heart rate monitor for comparison, and even though I have a simple exercise bike without settings for my vital stats, the bike and the heart rate monitor show almost the same calorie results. MFP on the other hand is WAY overestimating it. I have used a different app before (daily burn), and even their estimates are more realistic than MFP.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

sounds like you agree with me about trusting the bike and not MFPs estimation. 100 calories in 20 minutes is a huge difference!

I think the biggest issue, for those of us who want to be all scientific and calculate every little calorie in and out is that both the exercise machines and MFP sort of double dip a little by double counting your normal metabolic rate. The exercise equipment wants to know your weight so it can figure out your RMR and then up the calories per hour by what ever you would burn if you were just sitting on the gym floor looking at the machine.

The problem comes up in that MFP already has this information in there based on your stats (i.e. Goals / Calories Burned / From Normal Daily Activity) but still seems to include the combined numbers when adding calories burned for any given exercise.

I mostly log the exercise just to have the record of what I am doing and assume that the math behind it is fundamentally flawed.
  • ChrisDrs
    ChrisDrs Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi all,

I bought a stationary bike recently (Kettler cycle P) and after 30 min of exercise with speed average 34khm the screen shows that i have burn only 25 kcal. How this can be possible. Did any of you had the same case ? PLS HELP !!!

Thanks in advance!!!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    why is there such a big discrepancy between what MFP tells me I burned doing 20 mins on a stationary bike (244) vs what the bike tells me (144)? Both MFP and the bike know I am 150 lbs- and I use a resistance of 14-17 so I am not just going for a leisurely stroll. Its hard work! I believe the bike (144) before MFP (244) but was just curious if anyone else noticed this?

It's hard to say based on the accuracy of the device measuring you. It could be correct - if 14-17 is enough resistance that you are producing high watts and your heart rate is up there (say 155-170), then yes - you'll burn more calories. I think MFP uses speed as a factor which doesn't include resistance (watts), cadence, etc... . As an example, I can do a killer mountain bike ride with very tough climbs and can be a thoroughly exhausting workout, but because mountain biking speeds are slower than riding on pavement by quite a bit - MFP will way undercut the amount of calories that my chest strap HR monitor and power meter report I have burned.

I would go with somewhere between the lower number and higher number (not knowing what resistance of 14-17 equates to in terms of HR and Watts produced). What kind of stationary bike (brand and computer display) are you using? Maybe there is some information available on the internet about the accuracy of that particular model.

Either way, 20 minutes is a very short session and traditionally in cycling is a good warm-up amount of time with lower resistance before you turn on the power. Every exercise bike measures through a wide array of guesstimates. So you may have to just be content to be a bit "in the dark" with regard to the machine you are using.

Suffice it say, you're burning some calories. ;-)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Lord only knows. I lift for as long as it takes to do all the sets, which is probably something like 20 minutes, then I do 45 mins to an hour of cardio (usually part bike and part elliptical) depending on how I feel that day and if my knees are acting up, and the calorie burn that the machines tell me is about half of what MFP tells me. They are probably both wrong. Furthermore, MFP also does not calculate ANY calories burned during strength training, and we all know that's baloney when we're sweating and huffing and puffing and lifting! I simply handle it by not eating back exercise calories beyond about 100 of them, because I just don't trust the numbers at all. I spread out the day's calories so that I can eat some before and some after my workout and not feel like I'm dying. If I ate what they said I burned I would get fatter and fatter, I'm sure.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't think either are accurate. MFP and the stationary bike both seem to be excessive in comparison to what I get on my Polar HRM. And I have a great trust in the Polar in my running so assume it is as accurate on the bike.

To be on the safe side I'd take the lower # anytime. The worst thing we can do is delude ourselves.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lord only knows. I lift for as long as it takes to do all the sets, which is probably something like 20 minutes, then I do 45 mins to an hour of cardio (usually part bike and part elliptical) depending on how I feel that day and if my knees are acting up, and the calorie burn that the machines tell me is about half of what MFP tells me. They are probably both wrong. Furthermore, MFP also does not calculate ANY calories burned during strength training, and we all know that's baloney when we're sweating and huffing and puffing and lifting! I simply handle it by not eating back exercise calories beyond about 100 of them, because I just don't trust the numbers at all. I spread out the day's calories so that I can eat some before and some after my workout and not feel like I'm dying. If I ate what they said I burned I would get fatter and fatter, I'm sure.

I ended up using JoRocka's(I think) method of entering the equivalent time for calisthenics to estimate weight lifting calories for my bulk. It seemed to be pretty accurate for me (YMMV).
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My experience with MFP's estimates is that they are wildly inflated for most people. Machine estimates are usually better, but I've still had them come in both high and low. I currently use a heart-rate monitor to keep track of my average heart rate for an exercise session. Then I record all of my exercise on a spreadsheet that converts that average heart rate into net calories burned, but there are also a number of online calculators that do the same thing. The Heart Rate Based Calorie Burn Calculator on the shapesense website calculates out gross and then net calories burned and appears to be using the same formulas I use in my spreadsheet.

TL;DR: Heart Rate Monitor Estimate > Machine Estimate > MFP Estimate
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    MFP's database provides grossly inflated calorie estimates for road cycling, and I suspect for stationary cycling too. I use a Garmin Edge 800 cycle computer to measure my heart rate and estimate energy expenditure, and MFP is usually 30-60% higher than the Garmin. My weight loss is consistent with the calories I record and eat back from the Garmin.

I'd definitely go with the lower number, but even it might be high.