Really Upset

Options
Hey everyone.

Tuesday was my first monthly nurse's appointment at my gym. I know that I'm overweight. That's never been in question for me. But when she used the caliper to determine my BF%, it came out at 39%. That isn't overweight. That's OBESE. And I just kind of sat there, looking at the number, trying not to cry. Because I don't feel obese. There are areas that I'd like to slim down, but I've never once looked at myself in the mirror and thought "you're not even overweight. You're obese. You have so much fat on your body that you're actually obese."

I guess it was the surprise more than anything that upset me, but now I feel like everyone who looks at me can read the number written across my forehead. I know that's ridiculous, but it's like having a specific number in mind makes everything so much worse.

I don't know if there was really a point to this post other than to let it all out, and I do feel slightly better for having done so. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Take it with a pinch of salt and use that to drive you to work even harder. I remember that I once felt overweight but a calc online showed I was obese, I was like wtf?

It was a bit of an eye opener but really helped with the drive to get better and once you start going and see results, thats when you start pushing even harder.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Here the thing about weight lost. We all have these goals to meet but the real goal is feeling comfortable in your own skin. TO love oneself. When that time comes life feels some much better. I am slowly starting to get there more confident. increasing self esteem.

If you feel comfortable at a higher body fat% then what society feels that what matter. I am almost sure that I am still in the obese category too..
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    That might be where you are *today*, but you can change that. I'm obese here as well--have the opposite problem. *No one* admits that I am obese. They think it's a joke, bother me about not eating and say I'm just "thick".

Meanwhile the scale says I'm fat, the caliper says I'm fat, body charts say I'm fat and when I look in the mirror I can see my fat face and belly roll. Bah lol, I have no point but don't feel bad. We can both get smaller.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 8 lbs you have already lost - you are on your way to changing that "obese" reading. Keep up the good work!
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey... same thing for me. Don't let that number define you. From what I see, you were already on your weight loss journey. I didn't feel obese either. But I knew that I was fat and overweight. its just a number. Take like JcMey3r said - with a grain of salt. Keep doing what you are doing. Before you know it, that will be a number in your past!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Tuesday was my first monthly nurse's appointment at my gym. I know that I'm overweight. That's never been in question for me. But when she used the caliper to determine my BF%, it came out at 39%. That isn't overweight. That's OBESE. And I just kind of sat there, looking at the number, trying not to cry. Because I don't feel obese. There are areas that I'd like to slim down, but I've never once looked at myself in the mirror and thought "you're not even overweight. You're obese. You have so much fat on your body that you're actually obese."

I guess it was the surprise more than anything that upset me, but now I feel like everyone who looks at me can read the number written across my forehead. I know that's ridiculous, but it's like having a specific number in mind makes everything so much worse.

I don't know if there was really a point to this post other than to let it all out, and I do feel slightly better for having done so. Thanks for reading.

Been there too, and I can remember that earth-shattering feeling when I realized that was me.

Took me a few days to mentally turn that upset into determination to fix it, but having that number for me was far more of a motivator than some vague "I want to be a size 4/6/8". It's a real number that you can work to get down.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way... Your story will sound so much cooler in the end. You will have beaten obesity.

Use your emotions to fuel your weight loss. You don't like being obese? Progress. Eat better, exercise harder, and feel better. You can do this :flowerforyou:
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way... Your story will sound so much cooler in the end. You will have beaten obesity.

Use your emotions to fuel your weight loss. You don't like being obese? Progress. Eat better, exercise harder, and feel better. You can do this :flowerforyou:

i love her response. i also just yesterday (for the first time ever) was interested in my BMI. I'm still considered obsese as well (i dont feel it) but my BMI has dropped from 43 to 33.9. My goal weight I will still be considered "overweight" but thats fine with me because thats how I'm confortable with myself.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Been there, still there I have to lose another 36lbs just to be classified as "overweight" . You didn't get that way overnight, it's not going to change overnight. keep working towards your goals.you will achieve success. I remember that feeling of total disgust with myself, when the doctor told me I weighed 291lbs. My best advice is to hang in there.
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's what happened to me, i got weighed for life insurance and it put me in obese mode... broke my heart, but you on here trying to lost that's awesome:)
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You have lost 8lbs. The hard bit, the getting started, is done. Just think at your next appointment the number will be less. You got this x
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Words have power, and obese is so much more emotionally charged of a term than is overweight. Why is that? It's because we, as a society, have taken the weight category termed "obese" to be so much of a negative that the stigma attached to it is now often a part of the struggle and shame that leads to the emotional states that cause obesity.

Don't let "obese" be a part of the group of labels that you use to describe yourself. Obese is a temporary state, it's not a part of who you are. Who you are is a strong individual that is working hard to overcome the obstacles that are in the way of your leading a healthy life, and it is that obstacle that you can define as "obese" if you so wish to define it.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    That was yesterday, part of your journey and your success will be to forgive yourself and push forward. start with a clean slate everyday... make a conscious choice the minute you open your eyes everyday to do something positive for yourself... to not indulge your desire for that treat... to leave some food on your plate.. to increase your vegetable intake.. to focus on balancing your macors and to work and work hard to become healthier and fitter... and don't ever doubt.. that this is yours to bear... and yours alone.. no one can "make you" own your feelings... choose them... and make them work FOR you...

That was yesterday.. today... you are stronger, smarter... you don't need luck.. luck is for people that let things happen to them...

NOW GET ON with it!!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Wake up calls, we get them often but we never hear them until one day, that one call hits you right between the eyes!

I went to a new Dr. now typically the Dr. (in the past) has used the term overweight but not Dr. D first time I meet him and he says "how long have you been fat?"... whoa! Fat? seriously did he say FAT?

I am morbidly obese... I'm like what? If I am then what is that person who is 100 lbs heavier? and how do I get out of this?

All I can say is pick yourself up and change it, say goodbye to obesity and hello to a healthier life. I know it hurt, knocked the wind right out of you but now use it to make the changes - you are on the right road!
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think you've found THE moment that can be the catalyst for change.

My story: After the craziness of the holidays and pretty much every family birthday happening Nov-Feb, I stepped on the scales and was 150 lbs. For some of you, 150lbs would actually be a healthy weight but on my 5'2" body it put me at overweight. Overweight. That's a word that echoed in my head for ages. I'm sure I cried too, but I can't remember. I had been a varsity tennis player in high school and my whole family was a healthy weight and athletic. I felt like such the ugly duckling. Worse yet was when I was basically in denial of the scales number thinking, "I'm not THAT bad, right??" so I took a picture of myself in my undies. Most. humbling. moment. ever. No, it was that bad.

I could have cried, I could have fallen apart... I could have had my usual emotional Taco Bell binge. But I didn't. And every healthy step I've taken so far has been a win. I don't know how many times now I've actually pulled into Taco Bell, stared at the restaurant for a few minutes, and driven away... and that's such a win for me; I feel so proud of myself.

That was a little over 4 months ago. I've since lost 23 lbs and I'm working toward my goal every day.

You CAN change your situation- you have the ability to throw out the "obesity" label like yesterday's trash and work through it. You just have to have that humbling moment where you realize that it's a problem and you're committed to work through it- no matter what, you're not going back "there".

Welcome to your the 1st step of your journey!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Please do not feel bad. You are young and therefore when you lose the extra weight, you will not end up with excess loose skin that only expensive plastic surgery can fix. And the more you weigh, the faster the scale will drop! No need to feel bad because in a matter of months, you can get the figure you want.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    "obese" IS emotionally charged because it has become in our lexicon the superlative to "overweight" ... like .. there's fat, fatter, fatest... THEN you get O-B-E-S-E... AN ADDED CATEGORY.. to which there is NO other superlative... there is no obeser.. obesest... and sure.. it's deflating... ego smashing... bubble bursting, shameful, embarrassing, BUT IT is also a call to action... motivation, dedication... a palce to start.. an opportunity for re-birth... own it.. mark it on your calendar... and from that point on... defy that word... BE more than that label.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Its ok to let it out, "dust yourself off" and get back up on your feet, today is a new day be grateful
    that you can even walk, are in good health not tied to a bed in a hospital.

You may not know how you are going to get to your goal but all you have to do is take just ONE Step!
    Start with affirmations to BOOST your confidence: :bigsmile:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/use-affirmations-weight-loss-b581060

Many people underestimate STRESS as a factor that may be sabotaging their weight lost. :frown:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/can-stress-cause-weight-gain

It took me about 3 mths before i started seeing results. Although not clinically diagnosed I
    have experience severe IBS and gluten sensitivity therefore I eat mostly
    Paleo , Mediterranean, Flexitarian diet. In plain English its very little starch, no gas producing foods
    most fruits, veggies, plant and animal protein.

Don't start a workout regiment that makes you overexert yourself your body will producing the stress hormone
    ....and BOOM...you are not losing but gaining weight.:mad:
    http://chriskresser.com/why-you-may-need-to-exercise-less

I've lost 20lbs over two years and 10 of those pounds was just in the last 12 weeks
    which was right after I changed my regiment. Now I do more walking, hiking, a few high intensity for very
    short intervals at home (push ups, planks, burpees, squats) and a weight lifting class at the gym once in a while.:happy:

My calorie goal is set to 1200. Three months ago I was ranging 1600-1800, WITH exercise
    Now its within 1200-1400 W/O exercise. Allow yourself to renew your relationship with food, your body
    and your life....

HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I guess what bothers me most about this is that I've always used 200 as my point of no return. If I never hit 200 pounds, I wasn't obese. I've never had to shop in the plus size department, which is another thing I would have taken as an indicator that I was too heavy. So hearing the word "obese" when I've never hit either of what I considered to be the determining factors of obesity was really a shock to the system for me.

But I really appreciate all your responses. You guys are great :heart:

ETA: If I use one of the online BMI calculators, I'm .3 into the obese category, whereas 39% BF is 9 points into it. That's another thing that threw me. I figured a nurse's evaluation would be more accurate and show that the website was wrong. It did, but not in the way I intended.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My first "jaw dropping experience" was when I'd gotten to big for my scale at home to register my weight. I didn't like it, but then told myself I couldn't be too far off. (It stops measuring at 330.)

I then went to an immediate care center in March 2011, and they weighed me at 376! That one really stunned me.

A month later, I went to an event at my daughter's school, and could hardly walk to the door because of my weight and being so out of shape. I had to sit on the floor once inside the door, and was mortified as people had to walk around me. I had the nerve to grumble at the staff saying if they hadn't made me walk so far, it wouldn't have been such an ordeal.

That was when I told myself "Something's gotta change." That afternoon, I called to make an appointment with a bariatric doctor.

Lots of things have happened since then, but I'm still 83 pounds down. I've lost 12.4 in the last 4 weeks when, again, I decided I needed to go after this thing.

Sometimes we need those "eye opening, jaw dropping" experiences to kick us into gear. It's those experiences that make us willing to go through being uncomfortable. People won't change without a dramatic event that's big enough to warrant making the change.

Now you know where you're at. It takes courage and strength to continue down the path your on and not get side-tracked; to not let your focus shift to some rabbit trail or wild goose chase that won't get you where you want to go.

You can do this. Don't let that number divert you from achieving greatness. You CAN do this! I promise you. Stay focused! Get'er done!!