Am I ready to sign up for a trail run?

Options
Hello lovelies!

I recently completed a 5k training program and now absolutely adore running. I particularly love running through forests as the scenery is gorgeous and my dog loves it!

My question is: There's a trail run happening in the mountain ranges half an hour from where I live on August 17th, and I would love to participate in it, except the smallest trail is 7.3km. Is this an idealistic goal for me, or should I not go for it till I can comfortably run that far? There's another race happening an hour away from my home on September 14th which is 7.6km... would it be more realistic to give myself another month to train?

Ps. I've never done any sort of public race before, so I could start with doing a 5km public one... or should I do those as part of my training for the trail one?

Thanks for your help in advance, and feel free to add me!

Replies

• kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I say sign up for the one that looks the most interesting. Even if you can't run the whole thing yet, because there's no shame in walk breaks! But two months is plenty of time to train especially if you're really motivated for the race. And it wouldn't hurt to get an official 5k in before that, finishing it will motivate you even further! You can do it :)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think you could sign up for either and be ready. Trail running is fun but depending on the trails kind of hilly, so make sure to work hills into your runs!
  • lalamoose64
    lalamoose64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can always walk/run. The hard part is not to get caught up in everyone else's goal. Keep your goal in focus...You must live in a cool place!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I say go for whatever interests you. I would check the altitude difference between where you live and where the trail run is taking place. If the run is at higher altitude, you either have to train for that or realize your time will be slower. But since this is for enjoyment, by all means, enjoy!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My question is: There's a trail run happening in the mountain ranges half an hour from where I live on August 17th, and I would love to participate in it, except the smallest trail is 7.3km. Is this an idealistic goal for me, or should I not go for it till I can comfortably run that far? There's another race happening an hour away from my home on September 14th which is 7.6km... would it be more realistic to give myself another month to train?

In the time available you should be able to get to 10Km quite reasonably.

Go for it
  • cindyleigh1967
    cindyleigh1967 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Didn't you just complete a 5K run? You have 8 weeks to ramp up from a 5K to 7.3K. Adding 10% per week you will easily be there.

That said, I wouldn't pick an ultra-competitive trail run for your first race....so check the website and just be sure that it is a "fun run" and not a "race". Otherwise, it can be a bit off-putting and walkers won't be treated well (in case you need to walk).

Good luck!
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Sounds like a great goal to shoot for. I'd sign up and use the time until the race to prep. Not sure where you are but there may be trail runs in parks near you that you can use to build up to the race.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I say go for the one in August! Run as much of it as you can, and if you have to walk a bit, you have to walk. It's not a big deal. Heck, sign up for the September one too :laugh:

I will be doing my first ever trail run in July :)
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for your wonderful advice everyone!

There's only 500 people max that can sign up for each distance and each race... but I think that'd be the norm for trail runs whether they are competitive or not.

I wont sign up for any just yet but first focus on doing a free 5k in a months time, then after that I'll decide whether to sign up. The cut off date is early august so I've got plenty of time to decide. :)
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    Oh, and in response to the altitude question, the August race will definitely be at a higher altitude cause It's right in the mountains, but the September one wont be cause it's right near a beach. :)