Cheat Days: Necessary or Inappropriate

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's impossible not to "cheat" every once in a while...I don't look at it as "cheating" because that implies I've done something that I should feel guilty about. Can't stop your whole life because your on a diet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A slice of pizza is normal food. I don't see how it's cheat food, considering it's easy to fit in a day's calories.

For me cheating is eating a 2000 calories meal or something. And I do it once in a while, just because I don't want to stop living when I go to a restaurant that doesn't seem to have much in term of lighter options and I don't want yet another salad with dressing on the side.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet, I'm eating at a calorie deficit 95+% of the time as part of a lifestyle change. The other 5-% is still part of my lifestyle, be that a beer or few at a wekend with OH, a Birthday, oliday or Christmas celebration. I don't go out of my way to gorge on those occasions and now often make a more sensible choice than I would have in the past food wise. Living my life without ever going over my calories for the day would be miserable for me and also those around me! What I don't do now is turn a day 'off plan' into 2 days, a week etc when its hsould only have been 1 day or a week's holiday (even then I will exercise etc - last holiday I took I actually lost 1lb that week without logging or restricting myself, it suprised me as much as anyone else LOL).

This works for me, however I know other people who really struggle to get back on track after a day off so prefer to not go off track at all. Personally the idea of living like that forever I would find soul destroying - but for me learning moderation has been key. So do what works best for you be that a planned 'eat at maintenance day' or just the occasional splurge during the year for special events.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that clearcut - either eat only things you hate or go over your calorie limit to prove you're alive. You can fit treats into your calorie limit. It's honestly more fun doing it that way. Yesterday, I had 2/3 of a peanut butter kitkat after salad for dinner, and a later sugary ginger milk after exercise. Right now, I'm having vanilla ice cream. You can fit in that slice of delicious pizza, just do more exercise that day and eat more bulky vegetables for other meals.

There's nothing wrong with cheat days if they help. For me, they are a binge trigger! I would never, ever have thought I'd be able to fit in treats in small quantities, but I'm eating more treats now than before I started sticking to my calorie goals - before it was deprivation then binge.

Another thing is to make low cal versions of nice food. Then you can have more than one slice of pizza - if it's made on a tortilla with your favourite pasta sauce, some topping and a measured amount of grated cheese.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It depends. I think they're sometimes necessary to keep our sanity and our social lives (imagine not having a cheat day at your own birthday celebration! Or on a holiday!). -BUT- There are certain "cheat foods" I deem inappropriate for me because I just can't stop eating them. I have other cheat meals (pizza, fried chicken, cake, ice cream, etc), but I avoid anything where I feel like I can't control myself.
  • gingers72
    gingers72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have decided to do a cheat meal once a week rather than a full day.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies, so this might be redundant!

I think if you're in this for the long haul, "cheats" are mandatory. Otherwise, binging is apt to ensue. When you feel restricted or like you CAN'T ever have something, the desire to devour anything "unhealthy" in sight seems to increase! :)

Plus, like you mentioned, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet! You can't go the rest of your life without eating another "unhealthy" thing; I mean I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely. So pick one meal a week where you have a "treat." I wouldn't call it a "cheat," though. To call it a cheat makes it feel bad, or wrong, which it's not!

Personally, I've found that I look and feel noticeably leaner the day after a cheat meal. I haven't been weighing myself though, so I can't speak on that aspect. I've read studies that suggest a high carb, high fat meal/treat on a [normally] high protein based diet can increase your leptin levels, resetting your metabolism to burn more efficiently. Or as some say, it "shocks the body", resetting your metabolism. Of course there are opposing views/studies on basically anything and everything, especially in health and wellness. :)

Moral of the story: Do yo thang, girl! Do what feels right for your body! Everyone is different. Experiment, learn, fail, succeed – The great “trial and error” method. It's what this thang called life is all about, right? :smile:

Good luck, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that clearcut - either eat only things you hate or go over your calorie limit to prove you're alive.

This sentence bothers me. Why would you eat things you hate?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I think they are necessary. When you eat in deficit for so long it kills your metabolism. One day of eating more restores it not fully but still increases it a little.
    Eating at a deficit does not kill your metabolism.

OP, I don't cheat because I'm not in a relationship with food. I eat what I want, I just make it fit.

^
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They are neither necessary nor inappropriate. It's just a method that will suit some individuals and not others.

Note: For what little it's worth, I don't' like the terminology of "cheat days" as a descriptor. I prefer refeeds, periodic surplus eating or, my favorite, a night on the town.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are necessary *for me*. Other people may do totally fine never ever having a cheat day.

I stay on track when I know I have a day coming up where I don't count and can eat what I want. It's taking longer to lose weight, but I'm happier and I've stuck with this for longer than I ever have.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that I don't have "cheat days" but instead "cheat meals" and perhaps maybe more than once a week such as order Chinese for dinner Saturday and eat the left overs on Sunday. I never have more than 2 in a week however. I try to keep my portions low depending on the food (the Chinese food has a lot of veggies but also a lot of sauce so if I'm already having a high sodium day I make sure to keep the plate small and finish eating it over another day. For something like a burger and fries, there is a lot of fat and I don't like to save that type of food for another day so I eat it all and then another day I just have a lower fat day). I think as long as you PLAN AHEAD for your cheat meals and you keep them under control it is ok. I track everything before I eat it (despite what my diary says because I just started using MFP, used Livestrong MyPlate previously). If I'm going to cheat I try to stay within my macros and calories for the day. "Cheating" definitely helps me stay sane and stay on track (for the most part other than my cheats) because I don't feel completely deprived. Also allows me to go out with friends and not feel guilty about what I order as long as I know I'm balancing it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO cheat days here. I don't have any problem staying within 1700 calories a day, plus on heavy work days I can burn twice that ( according to this site, which is suspect is over by a third).
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. My name is Chelsea and I have been struggling with weightloss all my life. This past year I have made big strides to get to my goal weight and am well on my way. Whenever I speak to other people who are dieting or trying to lose weight, I always get mixed reviews about cheat days.

I feel that Cheat Days are a must. I feel like some people when they are dieting are so determined and dedicated that they make food the enemy. I commend these people on their effort, will and determination, however, depriving yourself of your favorite foods seems mentally unhealthy and impossible (you will eat pizza again someday lol). Of course I am not saying go on all out binges but I do believe that once a week you should have that greasy slice of pizza with stuffed crust. Is it good for the waistline no, but its a reminder that you are human and that food is not the enemy, infact more an ally in your weightloss journey. I love food and I feel like once a week you need to have a cheat day so that you can enjoy the foods you love and remind yourself that you can enjoy food in a healthy way and in moderation. Food doesnt have to become a calculation for the rest of your life because this once a week you are allowed to enjoy and not worry. Some people are super against them and call them a crutch, whereas other feel they are very important to include when trying to lose weight. What do you guys think?

Totally agree with you!! On Sundays I don't track my food and I eat whatever I like. My only stipulation is that I stop once I'm full. This has always worked for me!
  • BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't have cheat days but if I achieve my month end target I reward myself with a meal at Wagamama. I normally choose a ramen so I'm still in calorific deficit.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that clearcut - either eat only things you hate or go over your calorie limit to prove you're alive.

This sentence bothers me. Why would you eat things you hate?

Hint: sarcasm.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days or meals, but I understand why someone might. For me, it's just easier to not indulge. At some point, yes, I'll probably have pizza again, but for now I'm content doing it the way I'm doing it.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't have any "rules" for my diet that are really strict, so I don't consider anything "cheating"..
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I take a cheat meal if there's a special occasion, but I slip up on my diet enough in little ways that if I had one cheat meal I'd have another and another.