What about Curves

Options
So I went today and checked out Curves. Can anyone give me some feed back as to how effective this program is for toning. I know at my age (49) and having been over weight for the last 31 years, I will be left with loose skin. But I would like to do as much as I can to tone up.

Replies

• trisha1
    trisha1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Curves isn't bad to start up with, but I reached a point where I wasn't losing anything else because you can never increase the resistance. My mom had the same problem. We both went strong for about 6 months and then had to start doing more on our own.
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I loved Curves when I went to them. I love who they are, and the simple 30 min workout. I really enjoyed going there, but mine closed and I didn't go back after I had surgery. So, for me, I learned a lot and lost weight. I think YOU have to decide what works for you. 30 min is very simple and its a great workout too. I would suggest it, but do what works for you! Hope fully you can find other women too, and find friends with Curves. Hope that helps! God bless.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i looked it up in the exercise database and you don't burn too many calories. but if you if you never exercised before it will help.
  • jenricher
    Options
    I used to work at Curves. It is more expense than a regular gym. but the machines there are great and the women there are all going for the same goal as you! also they have body fat %, scales, diet information, work out info all there for you. Just keep in mind that they are not professionals like a personal trainer or nutritionist.
  • teddyann
    teddyann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I went. Not one close to me since I moved.
  • jenricher
    Options
    i looked it up in the exercise database and you don't burn too many calories. but if you if you never exercised before it will help.

You go at your own pace. You can burn tons if you keep your heart rate up! so maybe have a heart rate monitor with you.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Curves!!! I went religiously for a year. I lost 20lbs, then moved and was not able to go back. I loved the workouts, they were easy enough for me. I loved how nice the ladies are that work there and that go there.

Once you do the circuit and get used to it, they have an advanced program that you have to ask for. In the advanced program, someone goes around the circuit with you, and counts your reps. They then give you a recommendation on how many reps per machine you need to do to increase or make your work out work more for you. Most locations give you a lanyard with a plastic sleeve at the end with your rep counts in it so you don't have to remember them. I loved the advanced program, but you really need to get the hang of the circuit first.
  • ropedancer
    Options
    I went a while back and didn't see the best results. But it sounds like it's worked really well for other people. I just don't think it was enough for me.
  • irtata43
    irtata43 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback....I have a free week to try it out. So maybe I can make up my mind by then.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I went for 2 years and my g/f has gone there for five years. I quit and she is quitting when her contract runs out next month. I'll make a list of likes and dislikes.

LIKES-
    1. All women so no men gawking at you.
    2. Older women would benefit a lot (60 and up) because they don't need as vigorous of a workout.

DISLIKES-
    1. Gets really boring and repetitive even if u start on a different station each time bc u r still doing the same workout everyday.
    2. I lost nothing ever! My gf actually has gained 20 pounds since starting and she goes 5 days a week and still eats the same. It made her bulk up in muscle but lost no body fat. Just gained muscle and kept fat. This is why she is quitting to try a different gym.
    3. 30 minutes is not enough unless u r elderly or very very obese.
    4. It is more expensive than other gyms and u don't get the classes and pool.
    5. Horrible hours. They kept decreasing when I was there. You could never come on your lunch break or mid day because they were closed from 12 to 3.