Success on calorie deficit alone

Options
Veil5577
Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
Anyone have success stories to share where they have reached their goal without exercise, just with calorie deficit? That's how I have to do this thanks to injuries and I'm starting to get discouraged. I'd love to know your story if you achieved success this way!

Replies

• MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily a complete success story, but I think it was successful experiment. I walk most nights, but a while back I got really bad blisters so I took a week off to let them heal. I ate at a deficit, but didn't do any kind of exercise. I lost 2 lbs that week, which was more than I usually lose in a week. I kept eating well, but added exercise back in, and continued losing, but not quite as much. So I don't know how it would affect long term results, but it should work at least in the short term. But as far as what everyone says here, all you need is a calorie deficit, exercise is just for health, not weight loss.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For my first 70 or so pounds, I didn't exercise. It is possible to lose weight and even make your weight goal just with a calorie deficit. It's much easier to stay under your calorie goal if you do cardio and earn some extra calories. I think for most of us, however, we want to eventually look toned and strong. For that goal, weight training is important. It just feels good to be getting strong. :happy:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Lost 70+ lbs without exercise.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 lbs with initially just walking. I am just starting to mix it up a bit
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lost the 1st 50lbs without exercise. For the 1st 4 months I was losing 8-12 lbs a month. The closer I got to my goal the slower weight loss became. I started to exercise to make up for that. I ate about 1500 calories a day on average.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    All you need is a caloric deficit. Try not to be discouraged. That deficit can come from food intake alone. Now you may only become a smaller version of who you are now. Which that may or may not look bad to you. Once you can start anaerobic exercises do so to improve the look of the weight loss.
  • jcb1179
    jcb1179 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 lbs so far without exercise. Disclaimer though, I do enjoy outdoor projects and have been working quite a bit outside which have been decent workouts. I fully intend to start workouts this fall but wanted to get weight off first and it is going great!
  • kan2180
    kan2180 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I hope this helps. I started on MFP on 1st March 2014 and have lost 22 pounds till date with not much exrecise, I walk when I can, have a weekly zumba class and some hikes here and there but not regular with any of it. I do log everything I eat, havent banned any food out and have even eaten pizza and ice cream once in a while in these 3 months within my calorie goals mostly. Bottom line is Yes, its possible. I have a long way to go and feel after about 30 pounds will have to incorporate more exercise to not be "skinny fat" but thats then. Best of Luck
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    it's possible but you have to stick with it results might not come fast.
  • ColleenHollandCox
    Options
    Of course, if that is all you can do, accept it and do your best. What more could you possibly ask of yourself?
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 72 and have lost 20lbs which is an average of 2lbs per week and is the maximum that MFP suggests. Due to a dodgy knee, which is a huge part of my weight gain over the years, my weight loss has been through calorie defecit plus one long walk a week for now. I sit at a desk for my job but have found that I have so much more energy since starting MFP that I rarely just lounge about at home anymore and this may be helping too. :smile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yup. Lost almost 30 lbs and reached my goal without exercising except for occasionally walking the dog. I exercise now (weightlifting) but am eating at maintenance and have maintained for nearly a year.
  • bullieforme
    Options
    I have lost 67 pound since January this year just by not eating as much as I used to (and the things I used to eat !) . I do a very physical job so don't need any more exercisae !
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i excersize lightly, just walking or gentle yoga. but thats it, and my weight loss was steady.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I lost all the weight I have lost so far by just going to work and walking everyday. No weight lifting or doing anything special. And I eat whatever the hell I want too! It's all about a calorie deficit. At this point I don't want to over complicate it by worrying about how many carbs I have and stuff like that. I've got enough to worry about day to day. But down the line when I'm a little lighter, I'm gonna take up running. Then when I feel up to it, lifting heavy stuff
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!