Doctor ORDERED me not to lose any more weight

Options
Went to Dr. today for first time in 3 years for checkup. He was astounded by my loss - (I'm 6'1', 38 yo, I went from 245 on his chart in June of 2011.... weighed in at 192 yesterday at his office).

Here's the thing... I actually am trying to lose the 10 pounds or so which have creeped up on me over the past year or so. I"m torn on what to do here, as he was adamant.

Let me also add that I've added a lot of "tone" over the past year from a lifting program, though my BMI still has me as overweight, which bothers me. Admittedly, I'm in the camp of people who think "gaining muscle weight" is just a copout.

Replies

• brg020788
    brg020788 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel good. Maybe determine your body fat ratio and see if you are in a healthy range first?
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason why you shouldn't lose 10 pounds?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Did you ask him why?
  • kennyh75
    kennyh75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anoerexic or something.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    :huh: Did he say why you shouldn't lose any more weight? According to your BMI, you should still have some more wiggle room on the weight front (as in, you're not even out of the "overweight" category, so it's not like your BMI is threatening underweight).

That said, measure your body fat. If you've been doing a lifting program, and you're new to lifting, you will get some "newbie gains," which can contribute to some (not necessarily all) of the weight you've seen creep up. At this point, though, getting a body fat measure (with BodPod or DEXA, ideally) is going to be more accurate/reliable than the BMI (which should really only be used for general purposes, not specific number goals of individuals).

And if your doctor didn't tell you why, call and ask. If he won't tell you why, find a new doctor. Pulling orders out their *kitten* without an explanation for it is a fireable offense in my book.

ETA since my question was asked and answered before I finished -- call him and ask him why. Without information, his "order" is pretty useless. Besides, if he does have it in his head that you're anorexic, you can laugh in his face.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I'm in the camp of people who think "gaining muscle weight" is just a copout.

Do you even body composition?
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Unless the doc can give you some legit medical reason, it seems like he's just spouting off his opinion. That's my take on it anyway.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Doctor's are people and people have opinions. I agree that unless he can explain why, medically, you should not lose more weight then fine.

I am trusting that you don't have some sort of body dysmorphia where you don't notice your ribs are sticking out all over the place and that you actually do have some fat to get rid of. I mean 6'1'' and 192 doesn't sound that overweight but it depends on your frame size and body comp and if you are small framed or low on lean mass then yeah you probably DO have weight to lose.

Honestly though I would as your doctor directly why you should not lose more weight. If he insists you are lowering your bodyfat to dangerous levels ask him to order a DEXA scan to confirm this, heck you might get a free DEXA out of it ;-)
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anorexic or something.
    Medical reason or not, if a doctor orders you to do something you should always ask why? if the reason is unclear and even if they give you a seemingly clear response it still may not be the best treatment or diagnosis.

Doctors are human and therefore prone to error just like anyone else.

Take Dr Oz, world famous doctor but total quack.

I suggest a followup.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Doctors can't actually order you to do anything. He's not your dad, your warden or your drill instructor.
    Do what makes you feel good.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    obviously there is more to the story they he told you to not lose any more weight. Doctors are not always right, that is why people get second opinions.

you did not FEEL like asking why? What?!?!?!?
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anorexic or something.
    Medical reason or not, if a doctor orders you to do something you should always ask why? if the reason is unclear and even if they give you a seemingly clear response it still may not be the best treatment or diagnosis.

Doctors are human and therefore prone to error just like anyone else.

Take Dr Oz, world famous doctor but total quack.

I suggest a followup.

Dr. Oz is also being questioned by the senate about his advice of diet products he says to use on his show.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Any idea what your body fat percentage is?

You may not have the fat to lose. Granted, you are a guy and can carry a smaller percentage of body fat than a woman, but 182 for a guy 6'1" could be too thin. If you are carrying a lot of muscle and very little fat already, I would suggest following your doctor's advice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

didn't really feel like asking him "why," perhaps I did not want to make him suggest I'm anoerexic or something.

It seems odd to me that you were concerned that he would accuse you of being anorexic. That's a little telling.

Find out from your doctor his reasoning. Find out what your body fat percentage. Decide from there.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting encounter with my doctor a few years ago. I had just dropped from 253 to about 246(ish). I was pretty proud that I was starting to lose and said as much to him during my annual physical.

He said, "You're still young enough to not worry about that too much." I was 39. I thought I was at just the right age (which is any age) to worry about that.

He's much older than me and overweight himself, so I just nodded and let him finish the physical.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion from another physician if you are concerned.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Without a reason, it doesn't seem reasonable to tell you you shouldn't try to reach a healthier weight.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Any idea what your body fat percentage is?

You may not have the fat to lose. Granted, you are a guy and can carry a smaller percentage of body fat than a woman, but 182 for a guy 6'1" could be too thin. If you are carrying a lot of muscle and very little fat already, I would suggest following your doctor's advice.

My son (young adult) is 6'1" and is quite glad to be at 152lbs (he was a few pounds heavier) but he works out, runs, and quite frankly looks good at this weight. Older son is 6'3" and in the low 160s range-and looks like he could use a few pounds. It really depends on body structure (one son took after my side-the other, my hubby's)...

I would say go with what you feel good at. When I first started losing (using MFP) my principal told me not to lose more weight-just to give you an idea that people will give their opinions-no matter who they are!
  • missemmamm
    missemmamm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    no medical reason at all

It seems odd to me that you were concerned that he would accuse you of being anorexic. That's a little telling.

Find out from your doctor his reasoning. Find out what your body fat percentage. Decide from there.

I was thinking the same thing like why would he jump to that conclusion?
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to lose anymore weight even though its obvious i have another 25-30 pounds to go. When asked why, there was never any reason, just random opinions. Do what makes you feel best long as it doesnt adversely affect your health! Great job by the way!